• 1 Post By dmer
  • 2 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By dmer
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally got a quick ride on my "new" '15

Only 10 + miles, but enough to know it fits me very well. Had to seriously readjust my mirrors, then after I got back, found the bar risers weren't tight. lol The tiedowns from it's 3 hour trailer ride had pulled the bars down some. It's a tad taller than my Weestrom, but a lowering link shouldn't be needed.(5'7+") Temps were in the hi 40's, but the roads were wet, and lots of sand and grit on the roads from a recent snow, so that was enough to settle my curiosity. So far, I think it was a good choice to replace my ageing Wee. And the power wheelies are a nice touch!

Last edited by dmer; 11-25-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

-
dmer likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Would love to hear about your power wheelies.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Just a couple quickies to make sure what I had heard was true. Years ago, I had a woman co-worker see me riding a wheelie on an XR650 when returning from lunch. She purposefully looked me up to ask if I wasn't a little OLD for doing such things. And that was over 20 years ago! I guess I still haven't grown up. The funniest part was, she's 5 feet tall, and 4 feet wide, so I found it a little odd that she would be so judgmental.
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
Just a couple quickies to make sure what I had heard was true. Years ago, I had a woman co-worker see me riding a wheelie on an XR650 when returning from lunch. She purposefully looked me up to ask if I wasn't a little OLD for doing such things. And that was over 20 years ago! I guess I still haven't grown up. The funniest part was, she's 5 feet tall, and 4 feet wide, so I found it a little odd that she would be so judgmental.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
onewizard and dmer like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have NEVER intentionally 'wheelied' a streetbike, but I have done several 'power-wheelies' on my V650s, inadvertently.

USUALLY happened when I'm pulling back onto a paved highway (FIRST gear) and realize that the traffic is closer than I had thought, so I just pinned it!

W/out knowing, I'd say the front wheel was about six inches UP.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For sure the Versys 650 is a great all round bike and on the road very nimble and frisky. Super on twisties especially when lowered. Power wheelies...good clean fun!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have to assume the power wheelies you guys are referring to is one where you momentarily grab the clutch with the throttle roughly half open to raise the front wheel. This is usually referred to as a clutch up.

I have had a number of bikes that would do roll on wheelies (true power wheelies) Bikes that had more than enough power to loft the front wheel just by grabbing a hand full of throttle.

Most were dirt bikes but a few were street bikes.

I love that feel of raw torque and power but do not get the wheel up very high these days...maybe a foot. Ah but there was a time when I was wheelie king. It started with my trusty o'l Schwinn sting ray bike. I could literally wheelie that bike all around the block. Then my favorite dirt bike for wheelies was a 1971 CZ 400. Such a great bike. You could loft the front wheel in 2nd, get up to the balance point and accelerate thru the gears and disappear into the distance on the back wheel. Wheelies so long the front wheel would quit turning. Fun stuff for sure but recommended only for the young guys.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

No, true power wheelie, no clutch, just like my 1250 Bandit. I rarely do clutch wheelies, too hard on expensive parts. Lol
hawkerjet likes this.

Last edited by dmer; 11-27-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I donít do it anymore as my youth skills have vanished but my 2016 will wheelie in first gear if I grab a handful, no clutch up necessary. If I power shift to second, the front wheel comes up again.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have NEVER intentionally 'wheelied' a streetbike, but I have done several 'power-wheelies' on my V650s, inadvertently.

USUALLY happened when I'm pulling back onto a paved highway (FIRST gear) and realize that the traffic is closer than I had thought, so I just pinned it!

W/out knowing, I'd say the front wheel was about six inches UP.
Quote:
I have to assume the power wheelies you guys are referring to is one where you momentarily grab the clutch with the throttle roughly half open to raise the front wheel. This is usually referred to as a clutch up.

I have had a number of bikes that would do roll on wheelies (true power wheelies) Bikes that had more than enough power to loft the front wheel just by grabbing a hand full of throttle.
Nope Tim - The 'power-wheelies' I mentioned are just in first-gear - pinning the throttle WFO - NOT clutching it. That's far TOO dangerous if you don't do it exactly right!
onewizard, hawkerjet and dmer like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Nope Tim - The 'power-wheelies' I mentioned are just in first-gear - pinning the throttle WFO - NOT clutching it. That's far TOO dangerous if you don't do it exactly right!
It actually did one in 2nd gear too.....just got be in the meat of the rpm range, let off the throttle to compress the forks, and whack it back open. Doesn't come up hard, like first gear, but either way, you've gotta be 5 or 6k rpm. My Bandit will stand straight up from 2500 rpm.....guaranteed,no joke. I've gotta be careful with that one!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
It actually did one in 2nd gear too.....just got be in the meat of the rpm range....
PRETTY SURE that at least ONCE on the Alaska Hwy - I did one in first and carried it into second....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode