4Likes
  • 1 Post By dadsafrantic
  • 1 Post By dmer
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Greetings! Hope this message finds all my fellow Versys pilots doing well 🙂

Disappointed in the apparent lack of Versys 650 fitment for the Sky Lift at Abba's website, I reached out to them directly via email to confirm there were no options. I received awesome news in response. It follows (per abba):

"The Sky Lift will fit the Versys 650 but you would need to do two things in
order for it to fit.

Firstly you would need to remove the covers on each side of the bike (these
cover the swing-arm pivot).

Secondly you would need to fold up the footpegs and tie them up/back.
Otherwise they foul the stand in operation.

If your happy to do this you can order the Sky Lift from our website. Just
select the Kawasaki ER6 N (any year) as this uses the same fitting kit.

Best regards

abba Motorcycle Equipment UK Ltd
29 Cutlers Road
South Woodham Ferrers
Essex
CM3 5WA"

I hope the info is of use to anyone interested in it for their Versys 650. I'll definitely be taking the Sky Lift in deeper consideration now (debating between it, or a traditional lift).

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ky-lift&pid=44

Take care everyone 🙂

Last edited by Streethawk; 11-19-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: URL added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Made my own

This may get some laughs, but I had a bumper jack from a Dodge Van, some old bed frame angle and a piece of 3/4 rigid conduit with a thread on one end. Yes I can pick the whole bike up from the tube, by removing 2 pieces of plastic. It stores easily. If there is interest I will post some photos with measurements. It is really handy when changing both tires.
And it was free, just some welding.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This may get some laughs, but I had a bumper jack from a Dodge Van, some old bed frame angle and a piece of 3/4 rigid conduit with a thread on one end. Yes I can pick the whole bike up from the tube, by removing 2 pieces of plastic. It stores easily. If there is interest I will post some photos with measurements. It is really handy when changing both tires.
I'm certainly interested in diy projects!
Please show.

I was curious about the abba skylift years ago. It seems like a problem to me, having to fiddle with cowlings and pegs... On top of that I realized that there is no job that requires it (unless you are foolish enough to work on both forks and swing arm). So I let it go, particularly when I saw the price.

The mobility would have been welcomed, but these tiny wheels are probably gonna resist, grind and hurt my rough concrete floor more than I want.

Last edited by dddd; 11-20-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
A paddock stand and a lift work for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage2.jpg (98.3 KB, 42 views)

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I've done it VARIOUS ways, at different times, different countries.

forks off:stem stand copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6011080 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 11-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Garage
that abba thing makes me nervous. i'm sure it's totally safe but i would be nervous the first time.
dmer likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

Old 11-20-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

You DIYers are hardcore man! Very cool stuff!

So far, I can't find any faults except for having to raise a container to catch fluids. The pros seem to outweigh the cons by far.

John Milbank at Bike Social did a one year review on it. Very informative. Here's the link:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...e-stand-review
Old 11-20-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

....and Bike Social's video review to accompany.

https://youtu.be/4nKOfagyrgI
Old 12-01-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage
ok i like the review. my garage is narrower than his. i can't park my touareg in it. it would working on the second bike easier than suspending it from the rafters to remove the fork tubes.

how do we feel it stacks up against the constands version?

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

Last edited by dadsafrantic; 12-01-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Let's see it!!! I have a like new hydraulic ATV lift that gets no use anymore. Has anyone made an adapter that can lift from that frame hole? Note, I've seen a few adapters for under the footrests and triple tree. But, I'm envisioning something like the upright part of an abba stand, mounted to the lift.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Abba won't sell you one unless you have a British accent and a Gair-Redge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
that abba thing makes me nervous. i'm sure it's totally safe but i would be nervous the first time.
Me too, but not as nervous as the first time I used something that I welded up!
dadsafrantic likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
I had the same feeling.

Cool gadget but I can't think of any work I do or would need to do on a bike that would require something like that.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 12-03-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Home Made

OK I got side tracked yesterday working on my used purchased ariens snowblower. I converted the headlight from a dim 35 watt Tractor light to a home made LED. I had some emergency light heads around and holesawed the back out. I took one of the LED headlight units I got from @IAMRA , I installed a full wave rectifier bridge and a 4700 mfd capacitor , I can now read a newspaper at 15 feet away.
So I think I am done riding for 2015, I will take some photos of my homemade bike lift, one clear advantage is I could put the bike on my lift and raise the bike off the tires with the bumperjack lift, having the bike at eye level. I will post some photos and measurements. I may get ambitious this winter and upgrade the angles.
dadsafrantic and dmer like this.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Home Made / Now Prototype

Now Prototype, I say that because I can tell you that was what it was originally, stuff I was going to throw out. So today almost a disaster , winterized my bike, put in premium gas and stabilizer along with Lucas top end conditioner, been running it and the extra cost equals the extra mileage or in other words once it is gone, I will stop buying it. @invader mentioned a increase in mileage and it may improve the overall life of the motor but I am thinking it will outlast me so trying to make life simpler. FYI yes premium fuel as that is snowblower and lawnmower fuel , and not suppose to have ethanol in it. I ran through 4 heat cycles at minus 2'C , when I say heat cycles, the fan running ( 4 fan cycles) and engine at 205'F for 20 minutes, running with full heated grips and high beam light.

So I needed to scramble to get everything done and get the bike back out of the way, so when the better half returned home the bike didn't get run over, it was close, so in my rush I took the two pieces of plastic off and wasn't paying close attention, first time I realized I was jacking the 32 foot extension ladder on the wall with my throttle side mirror---woa. I did not realize that I had already damaged my lift. So being in a hurray and yank the bike back and try again, this time I still have my 25 pounds of Trekker case on the right side of the bike, I gingerly started jacking my bike up, both front and rear wheels in the air , and it has a drastic lean towards that extension ladder, yes almost crash time. I lowered it back down and then realized that the first time I bent the angles lifting the extension ladder, subsequent tries just furthered the damage.
So very easy to improve on this, those flimsy angles are going and I will make improvements, easier to do them rather than explain. I have all the material. Next version I should be able to lift 800 pounds with the jack.It is going to take more time zip cutting the angle off than the time to weld the proper thing on. Oh well

I put the 3/4 coupling in the tubing above the actual lift point, it's sole purpose is to prevent the bike from sliding off the conduit, which happens to be 3/4 rigid electrical conduit.

Old Today, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Next version I should be able to lift 800 pounds with the jack....
Glen - better NOT buy a Harley if it ONLY lifts 800 pounds....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in