Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Bloody deer

7K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  rayj 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I’m not able to, or allowed to, ride for quite some time.

I went to work on the 3rd with ATGATT, including heated gloves. Next thing I remember is waking up in hospital on the 5th with no idea why I’m there.

Apparently a dear decided to charge me as I crested a hill on the way to work. It was a 300+ lb and when it hit me I went down with the bike, and the deer on top of my right side.

Gear was scuffed (destroyed by EMTs when they were cutting all off) and the only obvious issues were a bloodied l/h knuckle and knee cap (just surface damage).

I’ve since found out there was head trauma, the r/h pelvic bone and collarbone were broken in multiple places, and six broken ribs.

Based on what the cops and EMTs have told me, I was very very lucky. My gear definitely saved my life.

I am now faced with 3 months of rehab before I can go back to work, with up to another 9 months of rehab on top of that.

I have zero recollection of the accident so I can’t answer those “what could I have done differently” questions.

However, I will say that based on the police pics and report, I wasn’t speeding, was wearing good gear and the gear saved my life. Basically it was "the wrong place at the wrong time". Oh, the deer died at the screen of the crash.

Folks, stay safe, ride sensibly, and ATGATT.

Updates to come over time.

All the best,
Dave

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry to hear this.....Heal Quick.....Thats one reason i always have a helmet camera filming if I'm on the bike in case something happens and I'm not able to remember what happened or if I'm no longer able to answer what happened...

#5 ·
Glad to hear things didn't turn out worse.

I'm a new rider...12 months...and that doesn't include last winter where I didn't ride...so more like 9 months. I'm an ATGATT guy. Didn't start riding until my mid 50's.

Earlier this summer, I wanted to change the oil in my Versys, but the bike was cold. I figured I'll start the bike, and ride up and down my dead end street a few times to warm the oil up. The street is only about 100 yards long. I figured I could do it without wearing gear. Heck, I'd never get out of 2nd gear. So wearing only shorts, tee shirt and sneakers, I started. I didn't get to the end of the driveway before I felt terrified. I felt so vulnerable without my gear. I went up the street once, felt even more terrified trying to turn the bike in the street without my gear. I came back to the driveway and turned off the bike. That took care of any feelings of "What is it like to ride without gear?"

#8 · (Edited)

I went to work on the 3rd with ATGATT, including heated gloves. Next thing I remember is waking up in hospital on the 5th with no idea why I’m there.

Apparently a dear decided to charge me as I crested a hill on the way to work. Is was a 300+ lb and when it hit me I went down with the bike and the deer on top on of my right side.

Gear was scuffed (destroyed by EMTs when they were cutting all off) and the only obvious issues were a bloodied l/h knuckle and knee cap (just surface damage).

I’ve since found out there was head trauma, the r/h pelvic bone and collarbone were broken in multiple places, and six broken ribs.

Based on what the cops and EMTs have told me, I was very very lucky. My gear definitely saved my life.

I am now faced with 3 months of rehab before I can go tack to work, with up to another 9 months of rehab on top of that.

I have zero recollection of the accident so I can’t answer those “what could I have differently” questions.

However, I will say that based on the police pics and report, I wasn’t spreading, was wearing good gear and the gear saved my life. Basically it the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh, the deer died at the screen of the crash.

All the best,
Dave
I wish this could be posted at every motorcycle dealer, so many I see on large cruisers, shorts, sandals , T shirt and half brain buckets, no gloves, with female passengers dressed similarly . Not sure if they think the large fairing and windshield will protect them, this year there have been many bad accidents / fatalities involving bikes in the size of Goldwings / Harleys . We all know a crash will result in some injury, the difference between ATGATT and not, is huge.

This forum is like no other, keep us posted, we are thinking of you and very grateful for taking the time to share , I don't doubt, this thread will have helped multiple members, and yes, I have had occasion to consider going 4 blocks to get gas without gear, my solution was to use the 25 liter gas can and car to get it, so I was fueled up for the next day.

( in my career I worked on overhead cranes, before fall arrest harnesses were safety belt, I have fallen twice, once a cracked rib, second time 2 broken and one cracked, the second time was with a fall arrest harness with shock absorbing lanyard, however I hit a angle iron before the shock absorbing lanyard was deployed, never ever did I think of just going up without the harness, no one plans on falling. There was special training required for using that fall arrest harness, I had two types, one was a traveling harness with two lanyards, always hooking the second one in before unhooking the first, many times I almost fell with the harness as it was a trip hazard , never a regret wearing it)

{ when first out, a worker died using a fall arrest harness with shock absorbing lanyard, a investigation occurred and everyone in Ontario that had been trained required retraining , it was found the straps around the legs on the fatal victim were not tight enough and during the deployment of the shock absorber micro seconds later, the major force occurred , his main arteries in his legs were severed, he bled to death in minutes}

This may seem out of place, the moral of the story is , make sure your gloves are covering your sleeves, make sure the helmet is secure, a good fit, it took me 2 years to find motorcycle pants to fit me, my boots almost 3 years, I have two different types of gloves, numerous additions on the bike Denali lights etc. to make me more visible. My point is, know your gear, make sure you look after it, wear it like your life depends on it, it may, don't be afraid to stop and adjust, I have had occasion riding with someone, stopped briefly then started off, realizing my left glove Velcro was flapping in the wind, I pulled over and stopped, adjusted it took ,then took off, later, buddy asks me why I stopped. ATGATT!!

Thank You for posting, :thumb::thumb::thumb::thanx:

#9 ·
All the best,
Dave
Dave - just wanted to let you know that I just 'edited' a few items for you in your OP, the way I'm sure you meant it.

:goodluck:

#10 ·
Well that sucks. Sometimes you're just in the wrong place/wrong time. Hope you're back up and riding as soon as you can. I echo the AGATT warning 1000%. I recently had my first get-off in 30 years/250,000+ miles. Quality riding gear limited the damage to a badly sprained wrist from putting my hand down (the Scaphoid bone protector on my gloves likely prevented a fracture) and a severely bruised hip (4 pairs of riding pants, only 1 without hip armor; guess which one I was wearing.) No rash, no blood. After some quick roadside battle damage repair to the Versys, I was even physically able to ride the final 40 miles home. And I've since ordered hip armor for those pants. :^)

#11 ·
Good to hear that you are on the mend.
Just last night I was driving my Ram 1500 Big Horn edition to my mom's house around 7 (sun was down) a 6 point buck decided to commit suicide by leaping right in front of my grill, was going 50 mph and T boned him completely. Didn't even have time to take my foot off the gas. Just saw a flash of brown and was oddly able to see his rack as I felt the "thud" in my 7,000 lbs truck. Had actually thought of riding my bike, but knew I would have a beer at mom's and took the truck.
You can be the world's best, safest rider, take every precaution, but sh!t does happen, that is why we all should be ATGATT on every ride. Good luck and God speed on your recovery.
K

#13 ·
Folks, that’s for all the good wishes.

Update. I’m being discharged today so I can continue rehab at home. Still can’t return to work until the New Year and am still faced with months of rehab, but, I will make a full recovery, so that’s the good news.

My right side is still fubar, but, I’ve already made improvements in mobility etc so there’s light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Still waiting on hearing from the insurance assessor on the bike, but the dealership that has it thinks it’ll be a write off. Should know for sure in a few days.

Stay safe,
Dave

#14 ·
...My right side is still fubar, but, I’ve already made improvements in mobility etc so there’s light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Still waiting on hearing from the insurance assessor on the bike, but the dealership that has it thinks it’ll be a write off. Should know for sure in a few days.

Stay safe,
Dave
:goodluck:

#17 ·
Glad your OK and were in full gear. I also 1000% agree on wearing it.

I hope everything heals up and your back in action in due time.

Deer terrify me more than traffic, I can anticipate and react to stupid people pretty well but a deer coming out of the woods at full speed is pretty touch to react too. I’ve hit two in vehicles and both times it was instantaneous with no reaction time.

I do my best to slow down at dawn/dusk and definately at night hoping that at least I’ll hit one slower.

#18 ·
Thanks for the write up, and a speedy recovery to you.

For other riders, the OP mentioned cresting a hill. I have to remind myself all the time that if you can not see ahead of yourself, "slow down buddy"

A good friend of mine hit a deer this year and totaled his Yamaha as well. This is not a good year.

#20 ·
Finally looked at my gear this afternoon. Jeez, what a mess, and that’s without the EMT’s cutting it off!

I hope the following gives the anti-ATGATT anti-helmet brigade some food for thought.

Helmet - slight scratch on right side visor, scratches on the front, and major scratches on the left side. If I wasn’t wearing a helmet, I wouldn’t be here to write about it!

Boots - left boot a few minor scuffs. Right boot badly scrapped on the outside of the foot; toe to heel. They did their job as although the leather was badly scored, it never wore through.

Heather Gloves - a few marks on both, nothing major. Still no idea how I got the massive gouge between my 1st and 2nd knuckles. Heater wires all cut up by EMT’s.

Riding pants - trashed! They did their job. Torn in a few places but never wore all the way through. Hip and knee armour did their job. Very worn where I slid on the road. One small graze on my left knee. Considering the state of the pants, I’m amazed I have no injuries to my legs.

Jacket - trashed. Ripped in several places and wore through the outer material. Back, right and particularly the left side of jacket. NO injuries to by left side whatsoever. Can’t believe it. Of course my right side is all smashed up from the deer hit, but no other marks on my body to indicate a major traumatic accident.

I’m glad I’ve seen my gear. None of it is reusable/ salvageable. If nothing else it really hit home the “ATGATT” mentality I have. I can only imagine the road rash I’d have if I wasn’t wearing gear, but, if i wasn’t wearing gear, I’d be dead, that I have no doubt. The police and EMTs said the same, and the hospital staff all said I was so very lucky.

My next fight is with insurance company. Having spoken with the dealer that’s holding my bike, I understand that parts are knocking on $8,000, with labor on top of that. Fair to say it’ll be a right off, but I’m intrigued to see what insurance offers.

All the best,
Dave

#21 ·
Riding pants - trashed! They did their job. Torn in a few places but never wore all the way through. Hip and knee armour did their job. Very worn where I slid on the road. One small graze on my left knee. Considering the state of the pants, I’m amazed I have no injuries to my legs.
This is probably the part of ATGATT I worry about the most. I struggle with overpants vs. dedicated 'riding jeans' with kevlar lining, vs. *sometimes* wearing regular pants (work commutes), and I'm not sure I have very good hip protection in any of them.

What pants were you wearing?

#22 ·
I was wearing Tour Master Venture Air 2.0 Pants over my work pants.

I was NOT wearing the quilted liner or the waterproof liner.

I admit to being amazed at the damage to the pants vs. no damage to my legs or hips.

FWIW, I’d buy them again now having crash tested them. Bottom line in they did their job and saved my skin.

All the best,
Dave

#25 ·
Nice thought Karan but as the cost of repairs is greater the the bikes value, insurance will only offer what they “believe” it was worth, i.e, considerably less than the cost of repairs.

They are taking their sweet time contacting me so I’ll be making some calls tomorrow.........especially as I have time on my hands 😄.

Dave

#27 ·
Got the official write off payout amount; $6,300 before deductible / $5,800 after. Won’t complain at this cos I paid $4,800 for her 6 months ago and added almost 5,000 miles in that time. Also, the hard cases were OFF the bike at the time so i can sell those privately.

They’ll also pay out separately the cost of my helmet, so that’s nice.

All the best,
Dave

#28 ·
Gear pics from accident

Attached are pics of my gear from the accident.

If these don’t make you want to ride ATGATT, nothing will.

All the best,
Dave

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.