Bloody deer - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davec719 View Post

Riding pants - trashed! They did their job. Torn in a few places but never wore all the way through. Hip and knee armour did their job. Very worn where I slid on the road. One small graze on my left knee. Considering the state of the pants, Iím amazed I have no injuries to my legs.
This is probably the part of ATGATT I worry about the most. I struggle with overpants vs. dedicated 'riding jeans' with kevlar lining, vs. *sometimes* wearing regular pants (work commutes), and I'm not sure I have very good hip protection in any of them.

What pants were you wearing?

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I was wearing Tour Master Venture Air 2.0 Pants over my work pants.

I was NOT wearing the quilted liner or the waterproof liner.

I admit to being amazed at the damage to the pants vs. no damage to my legs or hips.

FWIW, Iíd buy them again now having crash tested them. Bottom line in they did their job and saved my skin.

All the best,
Dave
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Attached are 3 pics of the bike post accident.

Iíll add shots of my gear over the next few days.

All the best,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69343AD4-4CD8-41FB-A99E-FC80373C79F0.jpg (24.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DDD9DFD7-A1F4-4284-AEE2-7B64B2282A98.jpg (26.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 9E13DEED-15F6-4B70-ACDF-915316220B88.jpg (27.0 KB, 50 views)

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Finally looked at my gear this afternoon. Jeez, what a mess, and thatís without the EMTís cutting it off!

My next fight is with insurance company. Having spoken with the dealer thatís holding my bike, I understand that parts are knocking on $8,000, with labor on top of that. Fair to say itíll be a right off, but Iím intrigued to see what insurance offers.

All the best,
Dave
Glad that you are OK.

If insurance offer also 8000$, it will be great that you take that 8000$ into your pocket (if is that possible if laws allow that ), and than sell this broken bike for couple thousands (my friend sold Gen 1 Versys 650 after accident in 5 days), and you have money for brand new baby

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Nice thought Karan but as the cost of repairs is greater the the bikes value, insurance will only offer what they ďbelieveĒ it was worth, i.e, considerably less than the cost of repairs.

They are taking their sweet time contacting me so Iíll be making some calls tomorrow.........especially as I have time on my hands 😄.

Dave
onewizard and kardan like this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well, Iím not able to, or allowed to, ride for quite some time.

I went to work on the 3rd with ATGATT, including heated gloves. Next thing I remember is waking up in hospital on the 5th with no idea why Iím there.

Apparently a dear decided to charge me as I crested a hill on the way to work. It was a 300+ lb and when it hit me I went down with the bike, and the deer on top of my right side.

Gear was scuffed (destroyed by EMTs when they were cutting all off) and the only obvious issues were a bloodied l/h knuckle and knee cap (just surface damage).

Iíve since found out there was head trauma, the r/h pelvic bone and collarbone were broken in multiple places, and six broken ribs.

Based on what the cops and EMTs have told me, I was very very lucky. My gear definitely saved my life.

I am now faced with 3 months of rehab before I can go back to work, with up to another 9 months of rehab on top of that.

I have zero recollection of the accident so I canít answer those ďwhat could I have done differentlyĒ questions.

However, I will say that based on the police pics and report, I wasnít speeding, was wearing good gear and the gear saved my life. Basically it was "the wrong place at the wrong time". Oh, the deer died at the screen of the crash.

Folks, stay safe, ride sensibly, and ATGATT.

Updates to come over time.

All the best,
Dave
Good lord, man. That's scary. Glad it wasn't worse, and hope you're able to fully recover.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Got the official write off payout amount; $6,300 before deductible / $5,800 after. Wonít complain at this cos I paid $4,800 for her 6 months ago and added almost 5,000 miles in that time. Also, the hard cases were OFF the bike at the time so i can sell those privately.

Theyíll also pay out separately the cost of my helmet, so thatís nice.

All the best,
Dave
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Gear pics from accident

Attached are pics of my gear from the accident.

If these donít make you want to ride ATGATT, nothing will.

All the best,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 062F2C54-0362-4DD8-9E95-FE5E0E93BC05.jpg (28.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg FD58A6B2-450A-482F-A9AF-B92C4A7DC0B3.jpg (14.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 8EEA7DA8-02FE-4CDA-9289-C18FF5F0655B.jpg (15.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 5E80485D-2E3D-4D52-BAAA-E85CC3FD56C1.jpg (20.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg D6DF7FAC-A352-4E85-93C6-0EE7BF4FBCE4.jpg (19.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg C56EAB5F-6DCF-4F5E-890D-1DA98C56E05C.jpg (18.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 9ABA339E-66E7-4EE1-9B38-F8D1F8683163.jpg (14.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 79A3700D-ADF3-4335-9E5E-289AED0029A0.jpg (22.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 96D5FCED-5DFC-4E25-AB95-41A4FD206530.jpg (15.9 KB, 26 views)
quexpress, jaaklucas and kardan like this.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:50 PM

Wow, that's good! You were due for a little good news! Heal quickly!!
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Final set of gear pics

What really surprises me is that despite the many areas where it wore through, the only bit of road rash was the size of a quarter on my left knee.

Iím also soooooo very glad that Iíve always worn a helmet. Itís like a cheese grater went down the right hand side of it. When I see that pic I just think that couldíve been my head. If so, Iíd be 6 feet under, no question about it.

At the end of the day Iím so very glad I invested in decent gear. Certainly it wasnít top of the line, but it was decent stuff and it ALL did what it was supposed to do. Protect me!

Iíd hate to be going thru rehab (which is going very well by the way) having to deal with a bunch road rash on top of everything else.

If one person reads this post and changes to ATGATT, thatíd be fantastic, though the more that can learn from what happened to me, the better.

Iím trying to get crash photos from the cop who attended the accident. Iíll upload them if I can get them.

All the best and ATGATT,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDD132E8-E32A-4DED-8C53-836E01AAB606.jpg (12.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0183997A-BE82-4345-BBD7-0C37EECC84AC.jpg (16.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DC1A4BE7-A13D-4B8D-BC29-D91DD96A40D8.jpg (18.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg F230EF20-9148-4B6F-92B1-093B09525967.jpg (9.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 997F9897-7F9F-4B0F-AB59-5EF2CBD3FA99.jpg (12.7 KB, 15 views)
quexpress likes this.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The only reason someone would not wear proper protective gear I guess is to look cool. Or maybe cant afford it. I have a Scott textile jacket with all the armour . I wear Spidi riding jeans with knee and hip armour. They have the thickest denim with crotch venting. Surprisingly, thick denim is well rated for sliding.I have toyed with the idea of sewing in Kevlar into the ass, though overheating in the summer heat is a consideration. Its all part of my riding kit, when I put it on it also gets my mind into it, a ritual that sharpens me up for my ride. No room for error on a motorcycle, things happen fast and if you get in the habit of letting your guard down you are cocky and vulnerable. I did a low side slide in the 70s wearing regular clothing,man was I lucky. And some stuff is out of your control, speed aside. Like deer, who seem to like to jump into the open when spooked.
quexpress likes this.
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Had a loooooong chat with my wife today ďabout the accidentĒ, as I still have zero recollection of what happened plus the following 5 days whilst I was ďbeing repairedĒ. She wanted to ďenlightenĒ me and make me aware of the huge amount of love and support Iíd received from so many people.

She showed me a pic she took of me in the ICU on a gurney with all manner of wires attached to me and tubes coming out of me. This was only about 4 hours after the accident. I must say I didnít look too well in the pic and even have a hard time admitting it is really me........I just donít remember it.

I also had several brain bleeds that delayed the initial surgery as these needed to stabilize first. What Iíve learnt is that the brain scans didn't jive with how I was responding, meaning I was alert, communicative, and responding to their questions. Basically if they had just gone off the brain scans they would NOT have operated on me. Apparently there was a guy who had very similar brain scans to mine and he never regained consciousness and eventually died. Doctors were sure Iíd go the same way! Glad they were wrong and didnít just go off the scans!

First surgery was to repair the right hand pelvic bone that had been shattered. Seeing the x-ray of the plate they put in made me shudder. All in it took 6 3/4 hours, though 2+ hours of that was because they ďlostĒ one of the plate screws inside of me, and they had to find it. I was told it was really messy but successful 😄.

The clavicle plate surgery was delayed by 3 days due to internal fluid and bleeding, plus a blood count number had dropped from a 14/15 to an 8, meaning it was too low to operate. Iíve yet to find out what this ďnumberĒ means, but they gave me 2 x 2 liters of blood that did bugger all. On the 2nd night / 3rd morning this blood count went back to its normal range, all on its own accord! My entire mood, so Iím told, had changed that day, and for whatever reason they believe that made a world of difference.

My wife, who was by side these 5 days swears it was because she insisted they let me sleep instead of being woken every 30 minutes for some test or something. The head trauma nurse agreed (she was, my wife says, absolutely brilliant). No complaints from me and probably helps explain my mood swing change mentioned above.

Anyway, that allowed them to do the clavicle plate surgery, which also went very well (took a couple of hours).

The purpose of writing all of this, aside from helping me understand everything, is that I was sooooo drugged up during this time that I have no memory of the pain I was in. However, more importantly, is what this put my wife through. She was at her wits end not knowing if I was going to live or die during this time, because the doctors themselves didnít know. She stood by me and helped me get thru this, as sheís still doing today. Also, thereís my kids to think about. They still donít know how close I was to not making it, especially during those initial 5 days after the accident.

At the end of the day, the pain that my wife has gone through is worse that what I went thru, and as much as I love motorcycling, I love her more, so have made the decision to not ride again, even though Iíve been told I did nothing wrong, it was one of those million to one accidents, and that my gear saved my life. Not riding again is not going to be easy, ever, but my wife and kids must come first. My pain at not riding is less than the pain I would cause them if I was to ride and have the same sort of thing happen again.

I know my decision is very subjective but is the right one for me.

Iíll stay a member of this forum as i loved my Versys, even though I got to enjoy her for only 6 months. Iíll contribute from time to time and do take great enjoyment from reading all the posts.

Iím happy to answer any questions anyone has about all of this.

Meantime, safe riding everyone and ATGATT.
Dave
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 PM

Garage
Thank you for sharing your story and your gear after the accident.
Good to read you are on the mend. Sounds like you've got a great woman who's got your back.
onewizard likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Had a loooooong chat with my wife today ďabout the accidentĒ, as I still have zero recollection of what happened plus the following 5 days whilst I was ďbeing repairedĒ. She wanted to ďenlightenĒ me and make me aware of the huge amount of love and support Iíd received from so many people.

She showed me a pic she took of me in the ICU on a gurney with all manner of wires attached to me and tubes coming out of me. This was only about 4 hours after the accident. I must say I didnít look too well in the pic and even have a hard time admitting it is really me........I just donít remember it.

I also had several brain bleeds that delayed the initial surgery as these needed to stabilize first. What Iíve learnt is that the brain scans didn't jive with how I was responding, meaning I was alert, communicative, and responding to their questions. Basically if they had just gone off the brain scans they would NOT have operated on me. Apparently there was a guy who had very similar brain scans to mine and he never regained consciousness and eventually died. Doctors were sure Iíd go the same way! Glad they were wrong and didnít just go off the scans!

First surgery was to repair the right hand pelvic bone that had been shattered. Seeing the x-ray of the plate they put in made me shudder. All in it took 6 3/4 hours, though 2+ hours of that was because they ďlostĒ one of the plate screws inside of me, and they had to find it. I was told it was really messy but successful 😄.

The clavicle plate surgery was delayed by 3 days due to internal fluid and bleeding, plus a blood count number had dropped from a 14/15 to an 8, meaning it was too low to operate. Iíve yet to find out what this ďnumberĒ means, but they gave me 2 x 2 liters of blood that did bugger all. On the 2nd night / 3rd morning this blood count went back to its normal range, all on its own accord! My entire mood, so Iím told, had changed that day, and for whatever reason they believe that made a world of difference.

My wife, who was by side these 5 days swears it was because she insisted they let me sleep instead of being woken every 30 minutes for some test or something. The head trauma nurse agreed (she was, my wife says, absolutely brilliant). No complaints from me and probably helps explain my mood swing change mentioned above.

Anyway, that allowed them to do the clavicle plate surgery, which also went very well (took a couple of hours).

The purpose of writing all of this, aside from helping me understand everything, is that I was sooooo drugged up during this time that I have no memory of the pain I was in. However, more importantly, is what this put my wife through. She was at her wits end not knowing if I was going to live or die during this time, because the doctors themselves didnít know. She stood by me and helped me get thru this, as sheís still doing today. Also, thereís my kids to think about. They still donít know how close I was to not making it, especially during those initial 5 days after the accident.

At the end of the day, the pain that my wife has gone through is worse that what I went thru, and as much as I love motorcycling, I love her more, so have made the decision to not ride again, even though Iíve been told I did nothing wrong, it was one of those million to one accidents, and that my gear saved my life. Not riding again is not going to be easy, ever, but my wife and kids must come first. My pain at not riding is less than the pain I would cause them if I was to ride and have the same sort of thing happen again.

I know my decision is very subjective but is the right one for me.

Iíll stay a member of this forum as i loved my Versys, even though I got to enjoy her for only 6 months. Iíll contribute from time to time and do take great enjoyment from reading all the posts.

Iím happy to answer any questions anyone has about all of this.

Meantime, safe riding everyone and ATGATT.
Dave
Dave your last post should give us all food for thought. Thank you and be well.

Civit
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:03 AM

Never say never! No doubt you have some deer induced PTSD right now, and rightfully so. I understand your decision, but it's only been 5 or 6 weeks since the accident? My crystal ball predicts you'll change your decision. But it HAS been wrong many times! I'm not trying to change your choice, just pointing out that you're making it in the midst of a very stressful time. Either way, good luck.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hope you get well soon.

I worry more about animals like deer than I do about cars. Cars are fairly predictable and you have a good idea where to look out for them. Animals however can come from just about anywhere.

A buddy was riding up on the north coast last summer. There are a ton of deer up there. He clobbered one at night while going about 40 mph. Pretty much center punched it and did not even fall off the bike. Bike was not hurt but when the doe's head slapped my buddy's side it cracked a couple of his ribs.

He was pretty lucky.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...Meantime, safe riding everyone and ATGATT....
Dave
Dave,
and God Bless!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Time for an update.......good and bad.

The good.

Both my in home therapists (one does shoulder the other the pelvis) say Iím ahead of schedule in my recovery. Early days, still a good month away before I can maybe use a walker, but, ahead of where Iíd though be, so all positive vibes in that respect.

I was supposed to be cleared today by the doc to put weight on my shoulder - have regained full mobility thanks to an absolutely awesome shoulder therapist (plus my hard work &#128516. I say supposed because we got buried in snow so couldnít even get out of the house today. Appt rescheduled for next Tuesday. Oh well, itís winter in Colorado so this happens.

Still no memories of what happened. The wife even drove me to the crash site, but nothing. Honestly, if I never get these memories back, Iím ok with that.

My concussion is improving. Getting less and less dizzy spells when I lay drown or just slightly move my head to the right. Doing tasks I know hasnít given me any problems; doing something knew where I have to focus gives me headaches, but itís gone from a couple of minutes to about 20 minutes before it happens, so thatís a positive. Just got to give the healing process time.

The bad, oh the bad.......

F*cking medical insurance. OMG!!!!!

They decided to DENY every single claim ($400,000 and counting) for my 2 surgeries and rehab stay because, they say, and this is the best part, I hadnít sent them back a 2 page survey form (just conf the accident, the ins I have, any secondary ins, very basic stuff). Language was, as you can image, colorful. They ďgood newsĒ was that my wife had faxed it to them 3 weeks ago via her computer, so I had a copy of the document, the day/time stamp, and the number is was sent to. Before I called them I resent it.

An interesting conversation to say the least. They admitted they received BOTH faxes, but because different departments handle claim processing and the survey from, and the two dot talk to each other, they didnít know the form had been received!!! So because of that, all the claims were denied and they put me thru hell and back just to get this figured out because of their incompetence.

But wait, thereís more.......

During THAT conversation they also said that the claim is still denied because they need confirmation that my bike insurance hasnít paid any medical claims, and, they need a copy of the police report. I explained that medical ins isnít a requirement in Colorado on auto policies, and as they can tell, itís not part of my policy. Thatís not good enough; they want it in writing from the bike insurance company. So, now Im waiting on that letter and a copy of the Police report, though they say they canít find that now, even though theyíve paid out the claim and closed it. Theyíve assured me they find it and get me a copy, but after Thanksgiving. Of course the medical insurance company refused to say if this is all they need, so Iím fully expecting all the claims to again rejected whilst they come back with ďone more documentĒ they need.

This may be resolved this year, but Iím not banking on it. At least theyíve told me that as this is back in a pending status, I donít have to worry. Ha!!!!

Iím just happy Iíve finished all my pain meds Ďcos it means I can have a drink again, and after dealing with this medical insurance company, I definitely need one.

Cheers, have a Happy Thanksgiving, and ride ATGATT,
Dave
onewizard, kardan and Mattias like this.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 AM

Insurance companies SUCK!!!

Feel better soon...

2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650

2016 Suzuki DR650
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...Iím just happy Iíve finished all my pain meds Ďcos it means I can have a drink again, and after dealing with this medical insurance company, I definitely need one.

Cheers, have a Happy Thanksgiving, and ride ATGATT,
Dave
Dave - I wish YOU lived nearby as it sounds like your therapy should include one of my six ounce Martinis, ("dirty" of course!), followed by another!

Cheers!
jaaklucas likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode