Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Fuel Capacity questions

8K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Fly-Sig 
#1 ·
This site is way too complicated for me to search or use. My 2017 Versys has a claimed fuel capacity of 5.5 gallons. Even when I run it as low as I dare and the "Almost Empty" light flashes for miles 3.25 to 3.5 gallons is the most I can put in the tank. What gives? Help me. Sometimes I dont want to stop every 140 miles.

#2 ·
Are you filling up to near the top of the tank, or are you inserting the fuel filler nozzle all the way and filling just to the point where the pump automatically cut off the fuel flow? Also, if you are pumping while it is on its leaning on its side stand, you can't reach capacity. My guess is that you aren't filling the tank up as completely as you could..

#3 ·
The fuel gauge is hopelessly conservative. Best practice is to calculate your MPG by hand, reset the trip meter with each fill up, and do the calculations mentally on how much range you have left. The tank capacity really is 5.5 US gallons.

It is not a great idea to frequently run it down to where you put 5 gallons in, the fuel cools the fuel pump so really low fuel in the tank makes life harder on the pump. The fuel level you are filling up at is fine on the pump.

I have the same experience with the low fuel light being on, and only putting in 3.5 gal. Knowing my MPG from calculating it almost every tank makes me confident I can run 200-250 miles before a fill if needed. Im getting 55-65 MPG depending on my average speeds, being at high altitude and a lightweight guy makes that possible. At sea level 50-55 MPG is typical for me.

#4 ·
As I get anywhere UP from 55 mpgUS on my Canuck Gen 3 ('15 V650), that means I can go as far as 335 (or so) miles to empty - which I do NOT recommend doing!!! - my experience is that the RANGE part of the trip-computor is PESSIMISTIC and that you ALWAYS can exceed what "RANGE" says you can, HOWEVER it's PRUDENT to use the projected RANGE estimate to keep from running out, and suddenly wrecking your fuel-pump by running out of gas (which COOLS the pump).

:goodluck:

#5 ·
I ran my 15' 205 miles before the low fuel started flashing, I rode another 50 some miles with the light flashing. Stopped and fueled with 255 showing on the trip meter and only put in 3.9 gallons. That means that I still had 1.6 gallons left. I have read that the fuel pump needs .5 to .75 of a gallon to stay cool. I could get 300 miles out of a tank and still have enough left in the tank to cool the pump. My old butt would not do that many miles without a break.

#6 ·
I always fill the tank with the bike almost upright, either on center stand or me sitting on , fill to the brink and it will go 450km before I fill again and I don't wait for the light to blink, just see the last line appear and fill again. Never calculated the the actual mileage or reserve capacity when the light blink.

When we do long distance tour , we always try to fill or top up when ever possible. There are time , when I open the fuel cap and see the level of fuel and take it from there and its call mental calculation. Many a bike I have ride without fuel gauge except fuel spare lever and what the versys have is luxury if you know how to live with it.:wink2:

#7 ·
I bought a new 2018 Versys 650 this spring, and I've been having the same experience. I figured the gauge and calculator are very conservative. I checked the manual, and it says to fill the tank to the bottom of the fuel tank insert....that thing you stick the pump nozzle into/through. Good thing I checked, as I would have filled it up higher.

I keep forgetting to check the 'miles remaining' on the dash. To see how it matches up with the graph gas gauge. If I ever take a longer trip where gas stations are few, I will use one of the mileage trip indicators to measure distance on a fill up.

#8 ·
I bought a new 2018 Versys 650 this spring, and I've been having the same experience. I figured the gauge and calculator are very conservative. I checked the manual, and it says to fill the tank to the bottom of the fuel tank insert....that thing you stick the pump nozzle into/through. Good thing I checked, as I would have filled it up higher....
As long as I'll ride AT LEAST 30 kms before parking, I fill to the TOP which adds about .6 gallonUS. IF I won't ride that 30 kms, I just fill to the bottom of the neck....

IMG_1664 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

>:)

#10 ·
I get about 200-210 miles then start flashing on my 17’. It looks like once the light flashes you’ve got 1.5 gallons remaining for @ 75 miles left at 50mpg.

I run mine to 240-250 miles and fill up typically with a gallon left in the tank unless I’m riding aggressively all day or into a huge headwind or over 80mph.

#18 ·
Not sure how the Versys works, but on one of my prior bikes (Kaw. ZR-7S) I installed a resistor in the circuit (simply inserted it between the two connections on the back of the fuel gauge), which made the gauge much less pessimistic. I wasn't perfect, but way more accurate than stock. I forget the resistor's ohm value, but some smart guy on a forum worked it out.

Reactions: quexpress
#19 ·
I have a '17 Versys, and I have the same experience as the OP. I have a short daily commute, and it's on surface streets, so my mileage isn't great. As soon as my low fuel indicator goes off, I switch over the view my range. When it gets to 5 or 10 miles, I will gas up and...yeah, still fill up about 4 gallons or so. That said, the last fun day trip I did, I got over 200 miles on the tank and about 52 MPG. In town, I get about 42 MPG. Eventually, you'll get a good read of how far you can push it, depending on how you've ridden that tank.

#22 ·
When I get to about half a tank is when I start looking to fuel up. This goes for my car as well as the V650. It isn't always convenient right then, but before it gets down to 1/4 on the gauge I will be going past a quality gas station and fill it up.

There's no reason to push it as far as it will go. If I ever want, or need, to hit the road in a hurry I can without worrying about having to find a gas station right away. And in the event of the zombie apocalypse I have enough to bug out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.