Fuel Capacity questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Capacity questions

This site is way too complicated for me to search or use. My 2017 Versys has a claimed fuel capacity of 5.5 gallons. Even when I run it as low as I dare and the "Almost Empty" light flashes for miles 3.25 to 3.5 gallons is the most I can put in the tank. What gives? Help me. Sometimes I dont want to stop every 140 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Are you filling up to near the top of the tank, or are you inserting the fuel filler nozzle all the way and filling just to the point where the pump automatically cut off the fuel flow? Also, if you are pumping while it is on its leaning on its side stand, you can't reach capacity. My guess is that you aren't filling the tank up as completely as you could..
andyversystheworld likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM

The fuel gauge is hopelessly conservative. Best practice is to calculate your MPG by hand, reset the trip meter with each fill up, and do the calculations mentally on how much range you have left. The tank capacity really is 5.5 US gallons.

It is not a great idea to frequently run it down to where you put 5 gallons in, the fuel cools the fuel pump so really low fuel in the tank makes life harder on the pump. The fuel level you are filling up at is fine on the pump.

I have the same experience with the low fuel light being on, and only putting in 3.5 gal. Knowing my MPG from calculating it almost every tank makes me confident I can run 200-250 miles before a fill if needed. Im getting 55-65 MPG depending on my average speeds, being at high altitude and a lightweight guy makes that possible. At sea level 50-55 MPG is typical for me.
onewizard and HoosierFordMan like this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
As I get anywhere UP from 55 mpgUS on my Canuck Gen 3 ('15 V650), that means I can go as far as 335 (or so) miles to empty - which I do NOT recommend doing!!! - my experience is that the RANGE part of the trip-computor is PESSIMISTIC and that you ALWAYS can exceed what "RANGE" says you can, HOWEVER it's PRUDENT to use the projected RANGE estimate to keep from running out, and suddenly wrecking your fuel-pump by running out of gas (which COOLS the pump).

onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I ran my 15' 205 miles before the low fuel started flashing, I rode another 50 some miles with the light flashing. Stopped and fueled with 255 showing on the trip meter and only put in 3.9 gallons. That means that I still had 1.6 gallons left. I have read that the fuel pump needs .5 to .75 of a gallon to stay cool. I could get 300 miles out of a tank and still have enough left in the tank to cool the pump. My old butt would not do that many miles without a break.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I always fill the tank with the bike almost upright, either on center stand or me sitting on , fill to the brink and it will go 450km before I fill again and I don't wait for the light to blink, just see the last line appear and fill again. Never calculated the the actual mileage or reserve capacity when the light blink.

When we do long distance tour , we always try to fill or top up when ever possible. There are time , when I open the fuel cap and see the level of fuel and take it from there and its call mental calculation. Many a bike I have ride without fuel gauge except fuel spare lever and what the versys have is luxury if you know how to live with it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakersteve View Post
This site is way too complicated for me to search or use. My 2017 Versys has a claimed fuel capacity of 5.5 gallons. Even when I run it as low as I dare and the "Almost Empty" light flashes for miles 3.25 to 3.5 gallons is the most I can put in the tank. What gives? Help me. Sometimes I dont want to stop every 140 miles.
I bought a new 2018 Versys 650 this spring, and I've been having the same experience. I figured the gauge and calculator are very conservative. I checked the manual, and it says to fill the tank to the bottom of the fuel tank insert....that thing you stick the pump nozzle into/through. Good thing I checked, as I would have filled it up higher.

I keep forgetting to check the 'miles remaining' on the dash. To see how it matches up with the graph gas gauge. If I ever take a longer trip where gas stations are few, I will use one of the mileage trip indicators to measure distance on a fill up.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
I bought a new 2018 Versys 650 this spring, and I've been having the same experience. I figured the gauge and calculator are very conservative. I checked the manual, and it says to fill the tank to the bottom of the fuel tank insert....that thing you stick the pump nozzle into/through. Good thing I checked, as I would have filled it up higher....
As long as I'll ride AT LEAST 30 kms before parking, I fill to the TOP which adds about .6 gallonUS. IF I won't ride that 30 kms, I just fill to the bottom of the neck....

IMG_1664 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Fastoman and HoosierFordMan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
As long as I'll ride AT LEAST 30 kms before parking, I fill to the TOP which adds about .6 gallonUS. IF I won't ride that 30 kms, I just fill to the bottom of the neck....

IMG_1664 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

It was suggested by my shop that you leave a little air underneath that flange in the middle of the collar there. Is that not necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM

I get about 200-210 miles then start flashing on my 17í. It looks like once the light flashes youíve got 1.5 gallons remaining for @ 75 miles left at 50mpg.

I run mine to 240-250 miles and fill up typically with a gallon left in the tank unless Iím riding aggressively all day or into a huge headwind or over 80mph.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
i am usually at 220ish miles and put in 4 gallons. 55ish mpg.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
It was suggested by my shop that you leave a little air underneath that flange in the middle of the collar there. Is that not necessary?...
As I wrote - I only fill to the TOP IF I'll be riding at least another 30kms before 'parking' my V.

This USUALLY happens when I'm on a LONG RIDE, such as a D2D/ Alaska ride.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
It was suggested by my shop that you leave a little air underneath that flange in the middle of the collar there. Is that not necessary?...
As I wrote - I only fill to the TOP IF I'll be riding at least another 30kms before 'parking' my V.

This USUALLY happens when I'm on a LONG RIDE, such as a D2D/ Alaska ride.
To me, I think he asked about leaving air below the bottom of the insert as a general practice and was not intending to question you about filling to the very top if on a long ride.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
To me, I think he asked about leaving air below the bottom of the insert as a general practice and was not intending to question you about filling to the very top if on a long ride.
Well that is the recommended way to fill your tank, as MORE than that WILL end up leaking out if you park while the level is higher than the bottom of the insert, and your engine is hot.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:46 PM

330 US mpg per tank. Aprox 4.8 gallons required to

Dave
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:39 PM

the next question would be is there a way to correct the wonky fuel gauge.

I experienced this weekend on my new to me 16 model.
low fuel warning and all. stopped to refill and it took 3.8 gallons
if i wanted a bike with limited fuel range i would have bought my old suzuki back..
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Arnold View Post
the next question would be is there a way to correct the wonky fuel gauge.

I experienced this weekend on my new to me 16 model.
low fuel warning and all. stopped to refill and it took 3.8 gallons
if i wanted a bike with limited fuel range i would have bought my old suzuki back..
Just a thought , check out with the dealer where you bought the bike , weather you have a faulty fuel indicator. Rule that out first before making your next move.

even on extended run on fuel gauge last bar , i never had the fuel Waring so far on my 09.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Not sure how the Versys works, but on one of my prior bikes (Kaw. ZR-7S) I installed a resistor in the circuit (simply inserted it between the two connections on the back of the fuel gauge), which made the gauge much less pessimistic. I wasn't perfect, but way more accurate than stock. I forget the resistor's ohm value, but some smart guy on a forum worked it out.
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Garage
I have a '17 Versys, and I have the same experience as the OP. I have a short daily commute, and it's on surface streets, so my mileage isn't great. As soon as my low fuel indicator goes off, I switch over the view my range. When it gets to 5 or 10 miles, I will gas up and...yeah, still fill up about 4 gallons or so. That said, the last fun day trip I did, I got over 200 miles on the tank and about 52 MPG. In town, I get about 42 MPG. Eventually, you'll get a good read of how far you can push it, depending on how you've ridden that tank.
Fastoman likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
Yeah, I just filled up yesterday. 180ish miles on the tank and the light was flashing, took 3.9 gallons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in