• 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By Modene
  • 1 Post By jdocster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Long trip thoughts

After my first 1000 mile Trip I felt my V650 LT did fantastic but even with the 1.5 inch risers on & sitting far back on the seat my arms were straight/ over extended but sitting forward was fine,I was leaning back against my camping gear strapped on my rear seat. With my Puig Touring windscreen at mid height wind protection was great. As for the foot pegs My knees started to hurt & think the pegs need to be lowered or I need to install some Highway Pegs.I used a AirHawk seat cushion so no butt issue. With close to 85 Lbs of camping gear no problem with performance just a little heavy in towns at stop lights after being on the roads for several hundred miles. MPG was in the low to mid 50 mpg at speeds 65-75 mph. So for my next trip Iím going to install highway pegs & not taking camping gear ,will stay in motels or rent a cabin at finial destination.Also thinking rolling handlebars backwards a little. The Versys 650 is so far the best Bike Iíve owned for long trips so far out of the last 5 bikes. P.s. I used a Go Cruz throttle lock & it was Great, I got to where I was resting a couple of fingers on the stock LT wind Guard bracketís. That was the most relaxed my Hands haveĒ EVERĒ been.
Duffy, HoosierFordMan and Mattias like this.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-29-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Some things that help on long days in the saddle. A throttle Rocker I, not the II version. I believe it is only available in Canada, though a Google search could prove that wrong. I had no problem ordering from up there.

For more serious touring a Rostra "real" cruise control is the ticket. The control unit mounts up perfectly where the evap canister useta be.

Highway pegs do help.

A Madstad windshield system with an auxiliary air deflector. I tried the Givi 4114 and a Puig. The Puig was the worst for buffeting, the Givi somewhat better, the Madstad better, the Madstad with deflector is the bomb. For me. I've not tried the factory shield.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:36 PM

Sounds like you had a positive experience on you first trip.........my last trip (July of this year) will be my last long trip. It had nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with an ageing body. Day rides only for me from now on......I'll use the toy hauler to do the long distance stuff and a bike for the fun rides.
SteveJ likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Iím in my sixties & really Enjoy Doing long trips,usually 300-350 mile per day. Thought I wanted to try 400- 500 mile per day but I donít know if my body could stand that much. I think my main problem is I only do long trips once or twice a year the other days riding to work & back is only 7 miles . My two days off Wednesday & Sunday I only Rest & sleep. A few years ago when I rode more ,two - three smaller trips per month it seemed my body got use to riding & it was easier on my body. Someday I see a trike in my Garage.

Last edited by Modene; 09-29-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Mispelling
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Sounds like you had a positive experience on you first trip.........my last trip (July of this year) will be my last long trip. It had nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with an ageing body. Day rides only for me from now on......I'll use the toy hauler to do the long distance stuff and a bike for the fun rides.
I just got back from a 4k miles ride-about. I'm also thinking my days are numbered for this. It's a lot more comfortable to load the bike in the trailer and sleep in the camper van. Then there is the on board shower and toilet thing...

Say howdy to Mrs. Duffy for me.

BTW, looking to be in the Black Hills with wifey and Versys or KLR next May, got a spot to park?
Duffy likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I just got back from a 4k miles ride-about. I'm also thinking my days are numbered for this. It's a lot more comfortable to load the bike in the trailer and sleep in the camper van. Then there is the on board shower and toilet thing...

Say howdy to Mrs. Duffy for me.

BTW, looking to be in the Black Hills with wifey and Versys or KLR next May, got a spot to park?
I'm still in the same spot so parking is available........we will look forward to meeting your wife and maybe we can get in a ride also.
SteveJ likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'm still in the same spot so parking is available........we will look forward to meeting your wife and maybe we can get in a ride also.
Awesome.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modene View Post
After my first 1000 mile Trip I felt my V650 LT did fantastic but even with the 1.5 inch risers on & sitting far back on the seat my arms were straight/ over extended but sitting forward was fine,I was leaning back against my camping gear strapped on my rear seat. With my Puig Touring windscreen at mid height wind protection was great. As for the foot pegs My knees started to hurt & think the pegs need to be lowered or I need to install some Highway Pegs.I used a AirHawk seat cushion so no butt issue. With close to 85 Lbs of camping gear no problem with performance just a little heavy in towns at stop lights after being on the roads for several hundred miles. MPG was in the low to mid 50 mpg at speeds 65-75 mph. So for my next trip I’m going to install highway pegs & not taking camping gear ,will stay in motels or rent a cabin at finial destination.Also thinking rolling handlebars backwards a little. The Versys 650 is so far the best Bike I’ve owned for long trips so far out of the last 5 bikes. P.s. I used a Go Cruz throttle lock & it was Great, I got to where I was resting a couple of fingers on the stock LT wind Guard bracket’s. That was the most relaxed my Hands have” EVER” been.
Sounds like you would be more comfortable on a cruiser style bike because that is the way you are trying to sit on the Versys which is a sporty bike.

My first LONG trip on the Versys is the second from the bottom link in my signature. 7000 miles. I prefer the sport touring riding position when on long rides.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 09-30-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thatís what I thought & Iím considering trying a Vulcan S 650 maybe someday.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modene View Post
Thatís what I thought & Iím considering trying a Vulcan S 650 maybe someday.
I own one. IF you are going that way check into the following items:
- Corbin seat
- Drivers back rest
- Windshield
quexpress likes this.

2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650

2016 Suzuki DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode