Planning a trip from the Lower 48 to Alaska... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By bmw111
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Planning a trip from the Lower 48 to Alaska...

Hi,
We're 6 fairly experienced motorbike riders from Sweden that are planning to rent bikes (BMW R1200/1250GS or similar) in the US next summer and ride one way from or to the lower 48 from/to Anchorage.
I have done this trip two times by car, back and forth from the US, but this was a long time ago (in May and in sept/Oct in the 80's) so I do not know what it is like road-wise up in the North today.
We're planning to ride a maximum of 200 miles a day and spend approx 4 weeks on this trip.
Is July a good month? Or August? What is the coldest weather we can expect? A lot of rain? I mean the conditions normally, an exact weather forecast for next summer is not needed...
How are the roads nowadays? Can we expect many stretches of gravelroads and if yes, in what shape are they in July?
Any andvantages/disadvantages in starting the trip in Anchorage, Alaska, and drive south compared to starting for example in Portland, Oregon or in San Fransisco?
Any suggestion on a good reliable bike rental company either in the Lower 48 or in Anchorage where we can rent 6 bikes and drop them off at the final destination?
Will it be easy the get accomodation on the way for 6 persons (double room w. one/two beds in ordinary motels is fine), do we have to consider booking any accomodation in advance? We prefer to take the days as they come and do not wish to have a fixed and pre-planned itinerary, perhaps stop somewhere one or to two days, go salmon fishing in a river, take a trip to Denali National Park when we reach Alaska and visit some Gold mining cities etc.
Does anybody have a route suggestion, any comments on roads to take/roads avoid, cities to stop and visit or to avoid?
I'd very much appreciate any input. Thank you!

Anders B.
Sweden

Last edited by anders55; 09-23-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 PM

If you don’t get any input here, I suggest asking over at https://advrider.com/f/
anders55 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Anders - I'll try to answer your questions as BEST I can (ridden to Alaska from Canada SIX times!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
Hi,
I have done this trip two times by car, back and forth from the US, but this was a long time ago (in May and in sept/Oct in the 80's) so I do not know what it is like road-wise up in the North today.
We're planning to ride a maximum of 200 miles a day and spend approx 4 weeks on this trip.
Is July a good month? Or August? What is the coldest weather we can expect?

You can POSSIBLY expect snow IF you are into September.

How are the roads nowadays? Can we expect many stretches of gravelroads and if yes, in what shape are they in July?

Generally the roads are paved, however IF repairs are needed they WILL happen during summer, and I've seen up to 20 mile stretches of DUSTY GRAVEL on the Alaska Hwy. Here's a pic of an area USUALLY paved.

Any andvantages/disadvantages in starting the trip in Anchorage, Alaska, and drive south compared to starting for example in Portland, Oregon or in San Fransisco?

IF you can rent in Alaska... - that might be a VG idea!

Will it be easy the get accomodation on the way for 6 persons (double room w. one/two beds in ordinary motels is fine), do we have to consider booking any accomodation in advance?

I suggest you camp, as getting rooms could be your BIGGEST issue, as summer is THE BUSIEST time up North!

We prefer to take the days as they come and do not wish to have a fixed and pre-planned itinerary, perhaps stop somewhere one or to two days, go salmon fishing in a river, take a trip to Denali National Park when we reach Alaska and visit some Gold mining cities etc.

VERY difficult to do what you plan to do using motels, as you'll mostly NEED reservations!

Does anybody have a route suggestion, any comments on roads to take/roads avoid, cities to stop and visit or to avoid?
I'd very much appreciate any input. Thank you!
Take a look thru my ride reports, referenced below my signature line, then ask questions.

anders55 and quexpress like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Anders - I'll try to answer your questions as BEST I can (ridden to Alaska from Canada SIX times!).

Take a look thru my ride reports, referenced below my signature line, then ask questions.

Thank you very much for your input, Eddie! I will read your ride reports

Anders B.
Sweden
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Anders - BTW, I met a fellow from Europe (France?) at the 2013 D2D in Dawson, on a bucket-list ride.

He flew to Calgary where he bought a used KLR650, then planned to sell it at the end of his ride. He's the tall fellow facing the camera in the center, and for those who remember him - the fellow on the right sitting against the building is Dave Phillips, otherwise known as "jdrocks".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00345 copy.JPG (403.1 KB, 9 views)
anders55 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode