twisted throttle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
twisted throttle

looks like some v650 items are discounted. sw-m engine guard is $151. just saying.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
looks like some v650 items are discounted. sw-m engine guard is $151. just saying.
you mean the little bar that is merely a frame slider? no wonder they finally lowered the price of that which nobody wants.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
you mean the little bar that is merely a frame slider? no wonder they finally lowered the price of that which nobody wants.
I have one, and it worked VERY WELL, when I was dumb enough to try starting out w/ my disc lock STILL attached...!

BUT - my saddle-bag didn't come out nearly as well!

Did some "repairs"....

till I got a FREEBIE left bag from a '17 LT - thanks Joel...!
quexpress and Mattias like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the price went back to original at checkout. i sent a question to tt about that. will buy givi instead if they don't honor the advertised price.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:19 PM

they are only good for a tip over on flat surface.
do not call these engine guards, they are not. they will protect only the radiator and a bit of fairing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:08 PM

I called them Monday. They had issues with the discounting pricing at checkout. It was fixed yesterday.

Dave
Fastoman and Tcruarceri like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davec719 View Post
I called them Monday. They had issues with the discounting pricing at checkout. It was fixed yesterday.

Dave
They tried to reach you through the Forum , but was deleted as Unauthorized posting and the forum did write to them to use proper channel when posting as Vendors.
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Seems the price is $224 right now; was this a one-day thing? Been looking for a set of SWM bars for a 2012.

Here to learn.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:00 PM

Lol was looking at the swmotech footpegs but looks like someone beat me to the punch, they were down to the last pair and revzilla isnít stocking anymore.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
Seems the price is $224 right now; was this a one-day thing? Been looking for a set of SWM bars for a 2012.
it's for a 2015-
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...-versys-650-15

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
they are only good for a tip over on flat surface.
do not call these engine guards, they are not. they will protect only the radiator and a bit of fairing.
Are you speaking from experience, or just assuming from looking at the design?
quexpress and jaaklucas like this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
what engine guard do you use? pictures?

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
Are you speaking from experience, or just assuming from looking at the design?
Both. Not that I wasted money on the swmotech but that I have crashed with my bars and it's not always enough to fight the digging upon a crash in/on uneven ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
what engine guard do you use? pictures?
I have the hebco becker.

A single bar like those swmotech would dig in the ground (if you want to argue about asphalt, then I maintain it's a rusting frame slider..).

The added contact surface and plane of the hepco becker (I think the touratech, trex and a few others try to cover more too) helps the bike to "stay afloat" sort of when dirt napping.

-- Sorry for the delayed response. The emails from this site being hijacked by vsobr (watch the url mascarade!), I'm not visiting the site as much. I've advised the admins but they are helpless and the techs responsible are doing nothing. This site is compromised afaict.

Last edited by dddd; 10-01-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Both. Not that I wasted money on the swmotech but that I have crashed with my bars and it's not always enough to fight the digging upon a crash in/on uneven ground.

I have the hebco becker.

A single bar like those swmotech would dig in the ground (if you want to argue about asphalt, then I maintain it's a rusting frame slider..).

The added contact surface and plane of the hepco becker (I think the touratech, trex and a few others try to cover more too) helps the bike to "stay afloat" sort of when dirt napping.

-- Sorry for the delayed response. The emails from this site being hijacked by vsobr (watch the url mascarade!), I'm not visiting the site as much. I've advised the admins but they are helpless and the techs responsible are doing nothing. This site is compromised afaict.
So lets hear about your crash then......
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
So lets hear about your crash then......
which one...!
if I wanted to claim fame for crashing, I would do youtube win/fail videos...LOL

Let's just say (so the thread doesn't derail) that shorter turn signals are a win, and any crashbar that goes as high as the turn signal and keeps the center of gravity below the contact point is a good thing for the whole side, particularly the console and tank.

But there is always that pointy rock that find a way through to the glossy finish.... (sigh). Sand is not a big deal; angel hair can be removed during winter's polishing rituals. But the avg forest road/trail is soft ground with lots of rocks.

I even considered crashbars that would be further away from the fairing (I can't recover the brand, that was 3 years ago. Just now I found "Tyrant" crashbars, but never heard of them before). Wider crashbars looked bad enough to pass, though. So I settled on hepbo becker ones.

Hope this helps understand my elimination process.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec719 View Post

Dave
I was purchasing my Mitas E07 Dakar rear tire from them. My CART didn't reflect the discounted price that was on their website.

Called them and their Customer Service fixed the order for me on their side with the sale price.

Tire got to me in just a couple of day. =o)

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I had a low-side crash at 20 to 30 mph eight or nine years ago, on Mt Graham in AZ (near Safford), riding AZ 366, when my front tire lost traction as it transitioned across the yellow line which is made of some sort of plastic having ABSOLUTELY NO traction!

Damage? Bent my shift-lever, got scratches on my stator-cover, on my Hepko-Becker crashbars, (which I "fixed" w/ electricians tape), and on my handguards (which I "fixed" w/ different tape!). Also busted a rib....

DSC05405 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05404 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09818 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I was happy w/ those Hepko-Becker crashbars, but as I was getting an SW-Motech skid-plate, and I was NOT sure they'd work "together" - I removed the H-Bs and replaced them w/ the SW-Motech crash bars.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; Today at 12:16 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I was happy w/ those Hepko-Becker crashbars, but as I was getting an SW-Motech skid-plate, and I was NOT sure they'd work "together" - I removed the H-Bs and replaced them.
can you tell now if the SWM rock guard (no skid plate is that thin) would have fit along the HB crashbars? for a while I thought the HB rock guard would do just as well, but I also had the motowerks highway pegs to mount, and didn't want to leg them go...!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
which one...!
if I wanted to claim fame for crashing, I would do youtube win/fail videos...LOL

Let's just say (so the thread doesn't derail) that shorter turn signals are a win, and any crashbar that goes as high as the turn signal and keeps the center of gravity below the contact point is a good thing for the whole side, particularly the console and tank.

But there is always that pointy rock that find a way through to the glossy finish.... (sigh). Sand is not a big deal; angel hair can be removed during winter's polishing rituals. But the avg forest road/trail is soft ground with lots of rocks.

I even considered crashbars that would be further away from the fairing (I can't recover the brand, that was 3 years ago. Just now I found "Tyrant" crashbars, but never heard of them before). Wider crashbars looked bad enough to pass, though. So I settled on hepbo becker ones.

Hope this helps understand my elimination process.
i have hb guards on the caponord. they held up when needed. my issue with the v650 is the sw-motech auxiliary light mounts going on the bike. i'm afraid they will interfere with the higher guard. the givi seem like maybe something in the middle. cheaper on fleabay than tw. i'm really hoping to get the lights installed this weekend so i can have a look. onewizard has the light mounts installed and has doubts about fitting a higher guard.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Purchased the SW Motech crashbars for $151 + tax from Twisted Throttle. Hopefully will never have to use them!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode