• 3 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hot Chain

There was a recent post regarding the chain on the V-650 running hot and how this might affect overall chain life.

I was recently checking my chain slack about an hour after taking a ride and discovered a hot section that was about a 1 foot long. I was a bit perplexed until I looked down and saw how close the exhaust/cat box is to the chain. The chain passes by a mere 10mm. This would explain the hot section as the box stays hot for a while after riding.

The close proximity would also account for the chain running hotter than on other bikes I have owned. The question remains as how much this could affect the life of the chain?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190921_075350.jpg (53.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190921_075512.jpg (31.8 KB, 24 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...The question remains as how much this could affect the life of the chain?...
I think a crappy chain would die quicker, but not necessarily a good chain. The OEM Japanese chain on my '08 lasted 56,000 MILES, while the current one on my '15 which was 'Made in Thailand' has lasted about 24,xxx kms (14,9xx miles). It is a Japanese EK520SRX2 and I expect it will last a long time. [The crappy OEM chain ([/B]NOT made in Japan[/B] only lasted 23,187 kms, replaced by a DID chain that only lasted 26,3xx kms).

HOPEFULLY the EK chain will break this "record"....

hawkerjet likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-22-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...The question remains as how much this could affect the life of the chain?...
I think a crappy chain would die quicker, but not necessarily a good chain. The OEM chain on my '08 [/B]made in Japan[/B] lasted 56,000 MILES.

My '15 V650LT? The current one [the crappy OEM chain (NOT made in Japan!) - only lasted 23,187 kms, replaced by a DID chain that only lasted 26,3xx kms] has lasted about 24,xxx kms (14,9xx miles). It is an EK520SRX2 and I expect it will last a long time.

HOPEFULLY this EK chain will break this "record"....

onewizard and hawkerjet like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-23-2019 at 01:15 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
There was a recent post regarding the chain on the V-650 running hot and how this might affect overall chain life.

I was recently checking my chain slack about an hour after taking a ride and discovered a hot section that was about a 1 foot long. I was a bit perplexed until I looked down and saw how close the exhaust/cat box is to the chain. The chain passes by a mere 10mm. This would explain the hot section as the box stays hot for a while after riding.

The close proximity would also account for the chain running hotter than on other bikes I have owned. The question remains as how much this could affect the life of the chain?
I have found that the muffler box is not hot enough to burn off chain lube splatter when I get down there at lube time. So I am gonna guess it is not hot enough to affect the chain based on that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It is a Japanese EK520SRX2 and I expect it will last a long time.

I just installed the same EK chain. It definitely looked to be a much higher quality and had "Japan" stamped on the links. Hopefully it will last a good long while.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I don,t think it will have any effect on the chain as there is ample air cooling both the muffles and chain during travel and on Static the muffle will not have enough heat to cook your chain or alter its metal structure physically.

There is always a problem on chain wear and life as the matting components are not made by the same manufactures, like DID only make chain and not the sprocket sets, so there is always variables in wear rate where different metals come in contact. There are some suppliers who supply chain sets and that too is your call. Stand to be corrected.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:

i disagree . i think its more likely that part of the chain is lacking oil / grease because my chain after 100+ miles of highway riding is cooler to the touch then my tires are unless you are touching that part of the chain after its been sitting unmoved after hard riding for several min...
but thats just my stoned exhausted thoughts after a 9 hour day with no breaks
hawkerjet likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That's just that section of chain getting heat soaked from the cooling exhaust while the bike sits. Keep friction at bay and the bike moving and you should have no issues.

If concerned about heat soaking as the bike cools, put a fan on the chain side of the bike blowing the exhaust heat away from the chain when you park the bike.
hawkerjet likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode