Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Wow 30 Thou...

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  dadsafrantic 
#1 · (Edited)
The old odometer clicked over to 30 thousand today. About 270 thousand less than on my old carcus.:surprise:

30k is the most miles I have ever had on a bike. Sucker still runs like new and gets 55 mpg.

My only concern is the DAS...Dumb Arse Stator. I keep reading all the recent threads about windings, volts, amps, disgronificators, polaris's, etc etc etc. Enough to make an old guy's brain melt.

My mechanical prowess is pretty good on all things except...ELECTRICAL! For me it's about as enjoyable as o'l Biff in the manure pile.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
hope you can go at least another 30,000 on it. The most I've put on one bike is 92,557. That's on my 03 harley FXST. I'm hoping to get over 100,000 but that's going to be hard to do because I'm getting older. Plus my go to bike right now is my 2013 versys. For some strange reason I just can't stay off it. Go figure.

#12 · (Edited)
...I'm hoping to get over 100,000 but that's going to be hard to do because I'm getting older....
Got 85,219 MILES on my '08, BIG RED in AZ, and I'm 76, plus over 73,xxx KMS on my '15 (and had 62,790 KMS on my '09 when it was '"written-off" in '15).

THAT totals up to 84,376+ MILES on my Canuck V650s.

>:)

#8 · (Edited)
I sold my ninja 650 at about 120'000km. It was top shape.
I expect my versys 650 to go 200'000 or more.
I have never heard of a technical hard limit to bikes: everything can be replaced (until parts are no longer made).

The usuals (chains & sprockets, forks seals, wheel bearings, battery, valves adjustments) all within 100'000 km, are certainly not reasons to sell.

But I can imagine a few thing some owners more or less don't want to deal with after 100'000km:

-brake disks getting thin (on my radar right now)
-fuel pump and stator to fail: both can be inspected. ultimately replace.
-coolant pump to wear, but I'm not sure it would come up before other big items.
-engine to loose power and increase blowby/start consuming oil: if I'm not totally misguided, re-sleeve or enlarge pistons/re-hone cylinders.

other guesses (purely based on what's moving or beaten):
-timing chain guide wear?
-valves seating?
-all internal bearings and gears?
-stator, rectifier

The problem is the sum of repairs. You can pour 4000$ to get another 100'000km but but what of it ends up needing 7000$? It may be less expensive to buy a new bike 9000$ while getting 2000$ from the old one, but good luck finding a capable owner that will job most of it himself thus think it's a deal.

It would matter even more if you took 15 years to get there and the parts are no longer available...

#13 ·
...But I can imagine a few thing some owners more or less don't want to deal with after 100'000km:
-brake disks getting thin (on my radar right now)
-...stator to fail...ultimately replace....
I replaced the front discs on my '08 w/ Chinese ones I ordered from Ebay. Fairly inexpensive.:smile2:

I replaced the stator on BOTH my '08 and '09 (JUST before I had the '09 written off)....:frown2:

#19 ·
I would agree with the statement, as my 09 is still with the OEM stator and at 60k km . If it fails , i replace it -either i do it or get a mechanic to do it. My only problem is time.

about electric wiring ,nothing much to worry , you can start with small project till you get the hang of it. Auto wiring-12V is much safer than 240V domestic wiring.

#18 ·
Congratulations and many more! I just hit 1,000 miles on my 18' that I took possession of in late May. I am not a big traveler, and 1,000 miles is about half of what I put on my truck this year. I have to say that these 1,000 miles are the most rewarding miles I put on any bike; which totals about 6,000 total miles ridden. I love the bike, and I really couldn't ask anything more from it. Congrats again! At this pace, I may be there in about 15 years. :nerd:

#20 · (Edited)
i'm thinking of doing the stator before she blows. as for miles i ride a lot. all commute. the sf bay area is perfect, mostly, for all year riding. since 2007 i've put 49k on a suzuki gs 500f, 80k on a 2006 aprilia caponord which i traded for a 2015 gen 2 caponord-86k, 2008 mana-46k, piaggio mp3 19k. so that's...like 280k? bay area fun. gotta love the atmospheric rivers too. i drive my car maybe 2k per year because the dogs don't drive. no thumbs you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.