Wow 30 Thou... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow 30 Thou...

The old odometer clicked over to 30 thousand today. About 270 thousand less than on my old carcus.

30k is the most miles I have ever had on a bike. Sucker still runs like new and gets 55 mpg.

My only concern is the DAS...Dumb Arse Stator. I keep reading all the recent threads about windings, volts, amps, disgronificators, polaris's, etc etc etc. Enough to make an old guy's brain melt.

My mechanical prowess is pretty good on all things except...ELECTRICAL! For me it's about as enjoyable as o'l Biff in the manure pile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190913_152125.jpg (47.8 KB, 32 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 09-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I happen to be a fairly local electrical expert, not that you'll need the help. Electricity is really less complicated than plumbing.
onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I happen to be a fairly local electrical expert, not that you'll need the help. Electricity is really less complicated than plumbing.
I understand the concept but ALL those little wires running everywhere. And those stubborn connectors and pins.

Not to mention the stray homatrons.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats. 30k is when I start to get itchy for another bike. I've only had one bike longer than 30,000, the '10 Voyager 1700 that I put 60,000 miles on.
52Degrees likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 PM

Garage
I've been itching for another bike for the last 10k miles... But not for a replacement. Lol.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:45 PM

hope you can go at least another 30,000 on it. The most I've put on one bike is 92,557. That's on my 03 harley FXST. I'm hoping to get over 100,000 but that's going to be hard to do because I'm getting older. Plus my go to bike right now is my 2013 versys. For some strange reason I just can't stay off it. Go figure.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
64K miles on my '02 Bandit 1200
32K and counting on my '14 Versys 650
almost all from commuting
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 AM

I sold my ninja 650 at about 120'000km. It was top shape.
I expect my versys 650 to go 200'000 or more.
I have never heard of a technical hard limit to bikes: everything can be replaced (until parts are no longer made).

The usuals (chains & sprockets, forks seals, wheel bearings, battery, valves adjustments) all within 100'000 km, are certainly not reasons to sell.

But I can imagine a few thing some owners more or less don't want to deal with after 100'000km:

-brake disks getting thin (on my radar right now)
-fuel pump and stator to fail: both can be inspected. ultimately replace.
-coolant pump to wear, but I'm not sure it would come up before other big items.
-engine to loose power and increase blowby/start consuming oil: if I'm not totally misguided, re-sleeve or enlarge pistons/re-hone cylinders.

other guesses (purely based on what's moving or beaten):
-timing chain guide wear?
-valves seating?
-all internal bearings and gears?
-stator, rectifier

The problem is the sum of repairs. You can pour 4000$ to get another 100'000km but but what of it ends up needing 7000$? It may be less expensive to buy a new bike 9000$ while getting 2000$ from the old one, but good luck finding a capable owner that will job most of it himself thus think it's a deal.

It would matter even more if you took 15 years to get there and the parts are no longer available...

Last edited by dddd; 09-22-2019 at 05:40 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Years Ago Electric Shock CPR Training

Quote:
As part of arc flash training it was mandatory to have firsts aid CPR, during one of our mandatory refresher courses a electrician ( call him wannabe plumber ) seated beside me commented after the instructor mentioned that anyone that has come in contact or received a electric shock should be going immediately to the hospital to be checked out, our wannabe plumber mentioned he would be in the hospital several days a week, that is when I suggested he become a plumber.
52Degrees likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
Lol. Yeah, plumbers don't get very many volts to the brain.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I understand the concept but ALL those little wires running everywhere. And those stubborn connectors and pins.

Not to mention the stray homatrons.
In my house I follow the old truism that you should ALWAYS put those child-safety thingees into your plugs, so that you don't accidentally step into a pool of electricity in your bare feet, walking around after dark....

Skypilot 69 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
...I'm hoping to get over 100,000 but that's going to be hard to do because I'm getting older....
Got 85,219 MILES on my '08, BIG RED in AZ, and I'm 76, plus over 73,xxx KMS on my '15 (and had 62,790 KMS on my '09 when it was '"written-off" in '15).

THAT totals up to 84,376+ MILES on my Canuck V650s.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
...But I can imagine a few thing some owners more or less don't want to deal with after 100'000km:
-brake disks getting thin (on my radar right now)
-...stator to fail...ultimately replace....
I replaced the front discs on my '08 w/ Chinese ones I ordered from Ebay. Fairly inexpensive.

I replaced the stator on BOTH my '08 and '09 (JUST before I had the '09 written off)....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
As a self taught electrician and plumber,I would say not easier but similar in concept. They often use the analogy of routing electricity to flowing water. Kind of....the size of pipe to fit the volume, the completion of the circuit. What about 220 volt house circuits that flow both ways simultaneously?
I bought an old house from the 40s years ago that I still live in and had to do the re-wiring and plumbing. Electricity always scared me so I learned how to wire a house from books,kind of a challenge to myself. I basically read several books on house wiring till I grasped the concepts and the local codes. Now I like to think of wiring as logic circuits, like adding LED lighting to your bike. Learning how to think logic circuits has actually been really good for my mind,kinda like Sudoko! Very powerful feeling to demystify the process. I think Onewizard might agree that the most important concept to learn for amateur electronics is the Ohms law. And how to use a multimeter.
My 2015 650 is up to 60K,no commuting. Thats the domain of my electric bicycle in the city which is very easy to maintain, the simplicity is a relief. This year I really feel all my mods on my Kawi to suit me and my riding style are complete and Im not looking for a new bike any time soon. Though in my mid sixties cant rule out age dictating my style of ride in the future!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
As a self taught electrician and plumber,I would say not easier but similar in concept. They often use the analogy of routing electricity to flowing water. Kind of....the size of pipe to fit the volume, the completion of the circuit. What about 220 volt house circuits that flow both ways simultaneously?

I bought an old house from the 40s years ago that I still live in and had to do the re-wiring and plumbing. Electricity always scared me so I learned how to wire a house from books,kind of a challenge to myself. I basically read several books on house wiring till I grasped the concepts and the local codes. Now I like to think of wiring as logic circuits, like adding LED lighting to your bike. Learning how to think logic circuits has actually been really good for my mind,kinda like Sudoko! Very powerful feeling to demystify the process. I think Onewizard might agree that the most important concept to learn for amateur electronics is the Ohms law. And how to use a multimeter.

My 2015 650 is up to 60K,no commuting. Thats the domain of my electric bicycle in the city which is very easy to maintain, the simplicity is a relief. This year I really feel all my mods on my Kawi to suit me and my riding style are complete and Im not looking for a new bike any time soon. Though in my mid sixties cant rule out age dictating my style of ride in the future!
Thanks all, for jumping in and explaining to me how wrong I am. I'll just take my years of automotive electrical PROFESSIONAL specialization and insert it in the proper orifice.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks all, for jumping in and explaining to me how wrong I am. I'll just take my years of automotive electrical PROFESSIONAL specialization and insert it in the proper orifice.
Per Hawkerjet: My mechanical prowess is pretty good on all things except...ELECTRICAL! For me it's about as enjoyable as o'l Biff in the manure pile

52degrees,sorry to offend you. not my intention, I am agreeing with you. Im good at electronics wiring but awful on standard auto-electric wiring. I was addressing Hawkerjets frustration with understanding electricity and showing how an amateur who was afraid of electricity like me learned from the bottom by wiring my house. I had to do it myself after I got a quote to have it done! Now I like thinking through circuitry, I didnt know that I could get my brain to work so logically.
Raining here for a few days,getting antsy to get out and ride....
hawkerjet likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...My only concern is the DAS...Dumb Arse Stator. I keep reading all the recent threads about windings, volts, amps, disgronificators, polaris's, etc etc etc. Enough to make an old guy's brain melt.
Relax. I think the whole stator/regulator issue has been overblown
Brad906 likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
Congratulations and many more! I just hit 1,000 miles on my 18' that I took possession of in late May. I am not a big traveler, and 1,000 miles is about half of what I put on my truck this year. I have to say that these 1,000 miles are the most rewarding miles I put on any bike; which totals about 6,000 total miles ridden. I love the bike, and I really couldn't ask anything more from it. Congrats again! At this pace, I may be there in about 15 years.

I have become comfortably numb.....

Jonny
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
Relax. I think the whole stator/regulator issue has been overblown
I would agree with the statement, as my 09 is still with the OEM stator and at 60k km . If it fails , i replace it -either i do it or get a mechanic to do it. My only problem is time.

about electric wiring ,nothing much to worry , you can start with small project till you get the hang of it. Auto wiring-12V is much safer than 240V domestic wiring.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Garage
i'm thinking of doing the stator before she blows. as for miles i ride a lot. all commute. the sf bay area is perfect, mostly, for all year riding. since 2007 i've put 49k on a suzuki gs 500f, 80k on a 2006 aprilia caponord which i traded for a 2015 gen 2 caponord-86k, 2008 mana-46k, piaggio mp3 19k. so that's...like 280k? bay area fun. gotta love the atmospheric rivers too. i drive my car maybe 2k per year because the dogs don't drive. no thumbs you know.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

Last edited by dadsafrantic; 09-19-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: fat finger typing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode