Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

4th Gen Versys 650 wishes

11K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  asphaltaddict33 
#1 ·
I'm in Australia, and have only gotten my license in the last year, so I ride what's referred to as a "LAMS" Versys 650 (Gen 3). When you're on a restricted license here, the biggest bike that you can own is a 650, and it has to be under a certain power to weight threshold, so the Versys 650 is restricted with a restrictor bolt on the throttle body, limiting you to 80% of throttle, as well as some ECU restriction.

So as everybody on a restricted license does, I spend some time thinking about the bike I'm going to get when I get my unrestricted license, which for me will be next August. I've been looking at the larger middleweight adv bikes, especially the Tiger 800 XRt, and BMW F850GS.

I had given some consideration for upgrading to a fully powered Versys 650, but it seems like a lot of money to spend just to have, basically, the exact motorcycle that I currently own, with a little more power, so I probably wouldn't go that route.

However...

I was looking at the feature list of the 2019 Versys 1000 SE (it's probably a little too much bike for my needs, which are mainly commuting and weekend twistie riding), and it's pretty impressive. If I could buy a Versys 650 that came stock with:

• heated grips
  • up/down quickshifter
  • different riding modes
  • cruise control
  • a nice TFT screen
  • twin led headlights, that both were on as regular headlights and high beams, instead of just one being on for regular headlights
  • A better designed seat

I'd almost certainly be all in.

Am I asking for too much out of the next generation? Will that raise the price by too much? One of the things that would slow me down if I were to go the Triumph or BMW route is definitely the price, and Kawasaki surely wouldn't want to be in the same price range as those bikes.

Anyways, those are options that would almost certainly keep me on a Kawasaki when I go unrestricted.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So as everybody on a restricted license does, I spend some time thinking about the bike I'm going to get when I get my unrestricted license, which for me will be next August. I've been looking at the larger middleweight adv bikes, especially the Tiger 800 XRt, and BMW F850GS.

"I would rather stick to V650 full spec , than the Tiger 800 or BMW F850.-IMHO"

#4 ·
I would rather stick to V650 full spec , than the Tiger 800 or BMW F850.-IMHO
I don't blame you, it's a great bike. Are there any features that you wish it came with, stock, though? Or do you just think it's the right balance of bang for the buck?

TBH, if the only change they made to the 2020 version was led headlights, with both sides instead of just one, that would be close to enough. That, heated grips and cruise control would 100% be enough.

#3 ·
Here's what you have to think about. The more they add to the bike, the more the price goes up. I'm sure the price point of the Versys is part of what makes it so appealing. If you add all the things that everyone wants, it's going to become a $11-12,000 bike, or more. Look at the Versys 1000 vs the 1000SE. The price went up $5,000.

#5 ·
Absolutely, the price point is a consideration, as I mentioned in my original post. I'd be willing to pay a couple grand more for the features that I suggested, but I'm aware that others may feel differently. I purposely left out a bunch of the Versys 1000 SE features, for that very reason.

#6 ·
[*]twin led headlights, that both were on as regular headlights and high beams, instead of just one being on for regular headlights
I'd prefer not to have dual always-on headlights so that people seeing me from behind them know I am a motorcycle and don't confuse me with all other vehicles that have dual lights.

Stacked headlights would be more ideal, I think.

#7 ·
I actually think that, out of the features I mentioned, the headlights are the most likely to happen. They have moved to led, side by side always on lights on a couple bikes that I know of - the Versys 1000, and at least one of the Ninja line (a friend has one).

#8 ·
What about the KTM 790 adventure or Duke? Has many of the features you are seeking / wishing for. But for the pure value proposition you can't go wrong with well farkled Versys 650. Or a gently used older 2015-2018 V1K.

#9 ·
I'm fascinated by the KTMs, but no interest in a naked bike, so the Duke is out (unfortunately). And the lack of luggage options kind of bother me. But great looking bikes that I will definitely test out when it's time to find a new bike.

For the record, I actually am very happy with my Versys. This is all just enjoying looking ahead to what may be. I'll almost certainly own my current bike for at least a couple more years.

#11 ·
The problem is, as far as I know, it's not legal to re-register it as a non-LAMS bike. So while it would be (very) easy to take out the restrictor screw on the throttle body, and possibly not that hard to de-restrict the ECU (though apparently not as easy as the Gen 1 and 2 Kawis), I would be in a position of riding an illegal bike, even if my license was unrestricted. Which would certainly lead to an insurance company not paying out after an accident, if they were in possession of the bike, and inspected it, and possibly even some civil liability to me. So de-restricting it is out.

#12 · (Edited)
rsherman,

Really like your list but adding a few more (what the heck, just dreaming right?). The appeal of the V650 to me is the agility, relatively light weight, very decent power, great gas mileage, reliability which truly makes this a versatile and fun machine. Just needs work in the comfort department.

• 100 additional cc's for a more relaxed highway ride
  • better suspension for a softer/more comfortable ride
  • Improved windscreen
  • Improved voltage regulator
  • Retain good gas mileage

+

• heated grips
  • up/down quickshifter
  • different riding modes
  • cruise control
  • a nice TFT screen
  • twin led headlights
  • A better designed seat

Just curious, as far as restrictions go (showing my ignorance of the rules and regulations) what happens if you de-restrict your bike? Are there mandatory safety checks that must be performed?

***Edit*** looks like you addressed the de-restricting topic. Never mind!

#14 ·
I really liked the changes Kawasaki did to the Ninja 650 in the last iteration in 2017 - weight went down like 40 lbs, some improvements in the suspension (linkage added in the back), slipper/assist clutch, roughly same price. If the new Versys 650 follow a similar route, I'd be happy.

A bit surprising they didn't go with LED lightning on the Ninja 650. The Ninja 400 has them, but it released in 2018, while the latest iteration of the 650 was in 2017, so maybe that explains it. It's a good bet that the new Versys will have LEDs, no point in going backwards when you have the tech established. Also, the Mk3 Versys shares the headlight assembly with the Ninja 300 (same part number) - maybe the new one will share Ninja 400's lights? ;)

I wouldn't expect traction control, rider modes or a quickshifter in the new Versys 650 - the engine is still a pretty old design, built to a moderate price point, extending it over what's absolutely required for Euro 5 is probably pointless. Cruise control is probably out for the same reason. Seeing how Kawasaki invested in getting the 650 twin up to Euro 5 standard for the Ninja, I'd suspect they'll want to milk that and use the same one for the Versys. So, I wouldn't bet on a Versys 700+.

OEM heated grips were already available on the current Versys, just a matter of ordering them at the dealer's. Same with comfort seats.

Historically, the Versys was usually an "upscale" Ninja, that had some nicer specs (ex. suspension, brakes), but nothing mindblowing in terms of engine or equipment. I'd look more closely at the evolution of the Ninja 650 rather than eyeing the Versys 1000 for an estimate of what we might get.

#15 ·
Cruise control is almost certainly not going to appear on a Versys 650 next gen, a TFT dash is a maybe. I think the most likely upgrade that is on your list would be different riding modes, paired with traction control. The Suzuki V-Strom has this feature and is the most direct competitor to the Versys 650. The rest of your list can be address with aftermarket parts, which Kawasaki knows so why put features on a bike that some dont want, and those who do can add themselves? Kawi is pretty 'no frills' on base model bikes like the 650

Have you considered the Moto Guzzi V85TT? It has a lot of the features on your list, is more powerful than an unrestricted V650, and only weighs slightly more while having a shaft drive. Price is closer to a V1000 but its a solid package IMO

#17 ·
electronic cruise control really requires ride by wire. i doubt it'll happen. i just got my kaoko and it's worth the price for me.

a tft screen and led headlights would be awesome enough for me. led every-light would be nice.

seats are really subjective and to each their own.

there is enough bolt on stuff to keep us poor for a while.

get reliable regulator and stator suppliers.

#22 ·
I know more features would add to the price of the bike. I would like to see a special type R / XT off road variant in addition to the base ABS and LT models.

• 19" spoked tubeless front wheel and 17" rear wheel with 50/50 tires
  • engine guard/ skid plate/ hand guards/ radiator guard
  • center stand
  • more ground clearance, more suspension travel, beefier shock and forks
  • foldable mirrors
  • TFT color screen with Carplay and bluetooth connectivity
  • LED headlights
  • adjustable height seat
  • a selectable way to disable ABS off/on

#25 ·
A TFT screen is now highly likely to appear on the next refresh of the Versys. The 2020 Ninja 650 just got a 4.3" TFT with some app connectivity (not Carplay). The screen and a cosmetic refresh is about the only update the Ninja got though

2020 Ninja 650

To me, the TFT screen is about the least attractive feature they could add to the bike. I love an analog tach, and go riding to escape staring at screen at work all day, so adding a fancy electronic screen to a bike is almost a negative for me.

#26 ·
rsherman, I hate to say it but my take on your original post is : "I'd like a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT"

All those things are nice & I would like them as well but I would settle for a 700cc version that weighs 20 kg less, and yes, a half gallon more fuel.

The nice thing is dreaming/wishing only costs you time.

#27 ·
If I could buy a Versys 650 that came stock with:
  • heated grips
  • up/down quickshifter
  • different riding modes
  • cruise control
  • a nice TFT screen
  • twin led headlights, that both were on as regular headlights and high beams, instead of just one being on for regular headlights
  • A better designed seat

I'd almost certainly be all in.
Am I asking for too much out of the next generation? Will that raise the price by too much?
I disagree with everything on that list.
* better have heated gloves, works everywhere, heats better, consumes less amps.
* shifter is fine
* 1 riding mode is fine; control your wrist.
* no need for cruise control, just buy the clamp one that you can use everywhere.
* lcd screen is perfect as it is, I don't need dead pixels on my bike too.
* headlight is fine, it's very handy to have a spare bulb all the time, and not blinding others.
* seat is perfect. wouldn't change a thing. no I'm not joking.

• 19" spoked tubeless front wheel and 17" rear wheel with 50/50 tires
  • engine guard/ skid plate/ hand guards/ radiator guard
  • center stand
  • more ground clearance, more suspension travel, beefier shock and forks
  • foldable mirrors
  • TFT color screen with Carplay and bluetooth connectivity
  • LED headlights
  • adjustable height seat
  • a selectable way to disable ABS off/on
I'm open to try a 19", but I have no issue with my 17" off road, given the 6" ground clearance limits how the 19 could make any difference.

I do wish for a solid skid plate, but that will always be aftermarket. What the versys needs is a solid and easy access frame to bolt under the engine, to compensate for the suspended engine design that leaves no attachment for such frame and bash plate. I don't care for the flimsy mere rock guards currently offered.

No center stand. It's just weight and noise. Never even wished I had one.

Ground clearance yes, but that will be an issue on the low seat height. I can imagine going from 6 to 8", but not at the cost of 2" seat height. Routing the exhaust differently will mean heat trouble elsewhere which I don't want either. Rising by 2 inches would probably give that much to suspension travel. I have no complaints about how beefy are the shork/forks. 43mm is not flimsy.

Folding mirrors (love them but) is not going to happen; this is how they make money with parts... Sorry.

No to addon electronics. This is direct $$$ on top of price. Do not mistake add ons for basic equipment. TFT color screens and BT are f* toys for kids.

Led headlights is not even an issue. It's already your choice, entirely replaceable.

Adj seat height: why would it not always be at the lowest when it is 33" already? No need for that if it only means leaning further forward and bringing my head in the wind.

Disabling ABS: not really but it should only be the matter of one menu switch. I know it's circulating a lot, but that's really not that necessary. I do plenty off roading and never needed to turn it off, not even last weekend again on a steep downhill at low speed. Simply turn ignition off if you don't want ABS.

(I expect some will argue they need to skid the rear to turn and wear prematurely tires (and cry on forums he can't gets more than 2000 miles out of any rear knobbie!) thinking this is the way to ride; I'm not going to hear any of it).

#40 ·
I disagree with everything on that list.
* better have heated gloves, works everywhere, heats better, consumes less amps.
* shifter is fine
* 1 riding mode is fine; control your wrist.
* no need for cruise control, just buy the clamp one that you can use everywhere.
* lcd screen is perfect as it is, I don't need dead pixels on my bike too.
* headlight is fine, it's very handy to have a spare bulb all the time, and not blinding others.
* seat is perfect. wouldn't change a thing. no I'm not joking.
I think you may have missed the point of this thread. I didn't post it as an excuse to be argumentative, but rather a place to fantasize a little about what the perfect Versys would be for you. How about just posting what you'd like, rather than itemizing why you think I'm wrong.

#28 ·
My list:

Common base between street version and adv version:

* versatile frame hookup for aftermarket crashbars, bashplate and highway pegs.
* much sturdier rear fender and flap bracket (mine cracked, watch yours!)
* side holes for center lift (like abba sky lift)
* return to reusable foam air filter
* failsafe chain slack adjustment like on ninja 1000; too many cases of bolts stripping and jamming, not to mention bad alignment after a noob did my tire change...
* more underseat space for stuff.

Adv version:

* 2" longer suspension giving 2" ground clearance, add compression damping adj.
* front fender ready for 120/90 tires
* return to standard forks: really hate leaks and putting the axle back is a bitch

#33 ·
First of all it's a great thread and I hope maybe someone from Kawasaki will see it and consider some of the thing proposed here.

Here is my list;

- Center stand. Every cheapo 50cc scooter has it, i don't get what is the problem to make it standard.
- Rear hugger. Once again every fake Chinese scooter has it...
- Option to disable ABS
- built in USB
- One-hand windshield mechanical adjustment while riding.

#39 ·
Gearing is kind of a pet peeve of mine - motorcycles meant for the highway do not need close ratio gearboxes. I'm fine with 6 gears, but making 5th and 6th a little taller, with 6th being a true overdrive type of gear for 70+ speeds, would be great for most bikes, IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.