4th Gen Versys 650 wishes - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
I think you may have missed the point of this thread. I didn't post it as an excuse to be argumentative, but rather a place to fantasize a little about what the perfect Versys would be for you. How about just posting what you'd like, rather than itemizing why you think I'm wrong.
I did post my list.

Otherwise, the response I gave was intended to rationalize good vs bad choices based on my experience, possibly avoiding costly mistakes to others thinking of aftermarket options. Usual forum stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I did post my list.

Otherwise, the response I gave was intended to rationalize good vs bad choices based on my experience, possibly avoiding costly mistakes to others thinking of aftermarket options. Usual forum stuff.
Yeah, but there was no rationale, other than you didn't like my choices. It's just unnecessary.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Just having the weight improvements from the Ninja 650 and maybe some better brakes and suspension would be fine by me. LED headlights that are more effective would be a plus.

I hate TFT displays, I would actually not purchase a bike because of this. I just like an analog tach that doesn’t reflect sunlight in my face and get washed out by the sun or blind me at night.

Keep the Versys simple and keep the costs down. None of that stuff makes it ride better but tacks on a ton of expense like what happened to the 1000SE. Granted that thing keeps getting marked down. To me all that stuff doesn’t make it better at all compared to the regular Versys 1000.

There’s a KLR coming and it’s probably a twin so keep that 19” tire the hell off the Versys lol, i want the sport bike handling to remain intact.
This right here plus they need to stop with the ugly colors and crazy graphics. 2015 and 2016 were great. I'm actually pretty happy with the brakes and suspension, especially at the Versys 650 price point. A bigger engine would be nice, but it 'aint gonna happen with the Ninja 650 still being a 650.

For me:
  • Lighter weight frame from the Ninja 650
  • LED headlight / signals

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT [Candy Lime Green]
2009 Kawasaki KLX 250S [Lime Green]
2003 Yamaha XT225
2006 Yamaha TW200

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Some Disagreement / Straying From OP Objective

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I disagree with everything on that list.
* better have heated gloves, works everywhere, heats better, consumes less amps.
* shifter is fine

* 1 riding mode is fine; control your wrist.
* no need for cruise control, just buy the clamp one that you can use everywhere.
* lcd screen is perfect as it is, I don't need dead pixels on my bike too.
* headlight is fine, it's very handy to have a spare bulb all the time, and not blinding others.
* seat is perfect. wouldn't change a thing. no I'm not joking.

I'm open to try a 19", but I have no issue with my 17" off road, given the 6" ground clearance limits how the 19 could make any difference.

I do wish for a solid skid plate, but that will always be aftermarket. What the versys needs is a solid and easy access frame to bolt under the engine, to compensate for the suspended engine design that leaves no attachment for such frame and bash plate. I don't care for the flimsy mere rock guards currently offered.

No center stand. It's just weight and noise. Never even wished I had one.

Ground clearance yes, but that will be an issue on the low seat height. I can imagine going from 6 to 8", but not at the cost of 2" seat height. Routing the exhaust differently will mean heat trouble elsewhere which I don't want either. Rising by 2 inches would probably give that much to suspension travel. I have no complaints about how beefy are the shork/forks. 43mm is not flimsy.

Folding mirrors (love them but) is not going to happen; this is how they make money with parts... Sorry.

No to addon electronics. This is direct $$$ on top of price. Do not mistake add ons for basic equipment. TFT color screens and BT are f* toys for kids.

Led headlights is not even an issue. It's already your choice, entirely replaceable.

Adj seat height: why would it not always be at the lowest when it is 33" already? No need for that if it only means leaning further forward and bringing my head in the wind.

Disabling ABS: not really but it should only be the matter of one menu switch. I know it's circulating a lot, but that's really not that necessary. I do plenty off roading and never needed to turn it off, not even last weekend again on a steep downhill at low speed. Simply turn ignition off if you don't want ABS.

(I expect some will argue they need to skid the rear to turn and wear prematurely tires (and cry on forums he can't gets more than 2000 miles out of any rear knobbie!) thinking this is the way to ride; I'm not going to hear any of it).
Some Disagreement, I highlighted those and will explain.

heated gloves, 3 times the price of Oxford heated grips, using them I assume you are using a heated jacket, the current and I have done extensive postings on power output and available amps, yes you are right about the current of the gloves. Now why I disagree with heated gloves , I have some really good gear, I can ride down to 0'C without heated gear, however it gets hard to move around with all the layers, so around 8'C or colder I will wear my heated jacket. As to the rest of the time, I have on many occasions even in late August gone for a long ride, returning when the sun goes down and the temperature starts dropping, I reach over and turn on the heated grips, what a huge difference. I can say I have had my heated grips on in every month of the year except for January, also my gloves all have protection in them. I know of two guys that had one heated glove fail. My Oxford grips were under $100. So I assume with your heated gloves, in August when it gets cool, you pull over and dig out your heated jacket and gloves , that you carry with you all the time. I just find the Oxford is more convenient and a far better value.

The shifter, I wear between size 12 and 13, just not enough room, and my pegs are lowered.The new design with the rubber mount does cause problems, just saying.

Headlight , bad design, the MK-1 and MK-2 were superior, as to LED you are wrong, the reflector in the MK-3 is just terrible, since I already have my low beam converted and have two Safego LED I am going to screw with the high beam, who knows planes may start following me. The reason for conversion is twofold , more light for night riding and reduction in energy, the headlights draw the second highest continuous current , the fan is the highest although not continuous.

You mention the seat, it is what it is not sure if you are aware, there was a thread and a member @Rawkstar320 that made riser blocks so some could ride for more than 2 hours . I modified my seat, on the 07 I got a Corbin. Between the seat mod and my highway pegs I can now ride 900 KM or more ( before the seat mod, 300 KM and I was done, and did a lot of riding on the pegs during the last 100 KM) , this year I did a 960 KM ride, got home around midnight, started around 9 AM.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
heated gloves, 3 times the price of Oxford heated grips, using them I assume you are using a heated jacket, the current and I have done extensive postings on power output and available amps, yes you are right about the current of the gloves. Now why I disagree with heated gloves , I have some really good gear, I can ride down to 0'C without heated gear, however it gets hard to move around with all the layers, so around 8'C or colder I will wear my heated jacket. As to the rest of the time, I have on many occasions even in late August gone for a long ride, returning when the sun goes down and the temperature starts dropping, I reach over and turn on the heated grips, what a huge difference. I can say I have had my heated grips on in every month of the year except for January, also my gloves all have protection in them. I know of two guys that had one heated glove fail. My Oxford grips were under $100. So I assume with your heated gloves, in August when it gets cool, you pull over and dig out your heated jacket and gloves , that you carry with you all the time. I just find the Oxford is more convenient and a far better value.
[..]
You mention the seat, it is what it is not sure if you are aware, there was a thread and a member @Rawkstar320 that made riser blocks so some could ride for more than 2 hours . I modified my seat, on the 07 I got a Corbin. Between the seat mod and my highway pegs I can now ride 900 KM or more ( before the seat mod, 300 KM and I was done, and did a lot of riding on the pegs during the last 100 KM) , this year I did a 960 KM ride, got home around midnight, started around 9 AM.
No, just heated gloves, heated socks too below 5C.
I heat only what gets cold.
When it's cold, spare pair of gloves and socks is standard; never know when a fall in water will ruin your day. Anyway there is always plenty of space in tail bag.

Seat: my median seat time must be about 8h, with 10-11h not rare. Used to do a few megameter day every year, now less since more offroad oriented. Not even close to feel pain on versys (never used the airhawk) unlike my ninja650 inflicted to me. It's usually not about the seat BTW, it's a lot more about moving around (blood circulation) and keeping moisture low (avoid tender skin).
onewizard likes this.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
The problem is, as far as I know, it's not legal to re-register it as a non-LAMS bike. So while it would be (very) easy to take out the restrictor screw on the throttle body, and possibly not that hard to de-restrict the ECU (though apparently not as easy as the Gen 1 and 2 Kawis), I would be in a position of riding an illegal bike, even if my license was unrestricted. Which would certainly lead to an insurance company not paying out after an accident, if they were in possession of the bike, and inspected it, and possibly even some civil liability to me. So de-restricting it is out.
Which means that in order to ride a "free" as against "restricted" V650, you'll have to sell the current LAMS model and buy a new non-LAMS model? That seems strange. What is the position of the govt's vehicle registration deptt on this issue?
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 11:11 PM

Chiming in late here. I am over 70,000klms into a round the world ride and am seriously considering a V 650. Currently on a Tiger 1200. I know exactly what I want from a motorcycle and aside from bullet proof reliability it would be as follows.

Tubeless spoked rims
19" front wheel
Centre stand
Electronic cruise control
A good easily visible clock
10HP more than the current V has
dadsafrantic likes this.

Adventure before dementia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode