If I could buy a Versys 650 that came stock with:
- heated grips
- up/down quickshifter
- different riding modes
- cruise control
- a nice TFT screen
- twin led headlights, that both were on as regular headlights and high beams, instead of just one being on for regular headlights
- A better designed seat
I'd almost certainly be all in.
Am I asking for too much out of the next generation? Will that raise the price by too much?
I disagree with everything on that list.
* better have heated gloves, works everywhere, heats better, consumes less amps.
* shifter is fine
* 1 riding mode is fine; control your wrist.
* no need for cruise control, just buy the clamp one that you can use everywhere.
* lcd screen is perfect as it is, I don't need dead pixels on my bike too.
* headlight is fine, it's very handy to have a spare bulb all the time, and not blinding others.
* seat is perfect. wouldn't change a thing. no I'm not joking.
- 19" spoked tubeless front wheel and 17" rear wheel with 50/50 tires
- engine guard/ skid plate/ hand guards/ radiator guard
- center stand
- more ground clearance, more suspension travel, beefier shock and forks
- foldable mirrors
- TFT color screen with Carplay and bluetooth connectivity
- LED headlights
- adjustable height seat
- a selectable way to disable ABS off/on
I'm open to try a 19", but I have no issue with my 17" off road, given the 6" ground clearance limits how the 19 could make any difference.
I do wish for a solid skid plate, but that will always be aftermarket. What the versys needs is a solid and easy access frame to bolt under the engine, to compensate for the suspended engine design that leaves no attachment for such frame and bash plate. I don't care for the flimsy mere rock guards currently offered.
No center stand. It's just weight and noise. Never even wished I had one.
Ground clearance yes, but that will be an issue on the low seat height. I can imagine going from 6 to 8", but not at the cost of 2" seat height. Routing the exhaust differently will mean heat trouble elsewhere which I don't want either. Rising by 2 inches would probably give that much to suspension travel. I have no complaints about how beefy are the shork/forks. 43mm is not flimsy.
Folding mirrors (love them but) is not going to happen; this is how they make money with parts... Sorry.
No to addon electronics. This is direct $$$ on top of price. Do not mistake add ons for basic equipment. TFT color screens and BT are f* toys for kids.
Led headlights is not even an issue. It's already your choice, entirely replaceable.
Adj seat height: why would it not always be at the lowest when it is 33" already? No need for that if it only means leaning further forward and bringing my head in the wind.
Disabling ABS: not really but it should only be the matter of one menu switch. I know it's circulating a lot, but that's really not that necessary. I do plenty off roading and never needed to turn it off, not even last weekend again on a steep downhill at low speed. Simply turn ignition off if you don't want ABS.
(I expect some will argue they need to skid the rear to turn and wear prematurely tires (and cry on forums he can't gets more than 2000 miles out of any rear knobbie!) thinking this is the way to ride; I'm not going to hear any of it).