FI light worst Case Scenario - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmbientMoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FI light worst Case Scenario

Hello all.

Been reading for a while; lots of great info to be had here. Looking at a 2009 for purchase; the FI light is on. I know how to do the diagnostic but the bike is not close enough to just drive over and do it. My question is: what is the worst case scenario as far as the FI light? It may just need to be ridden, or it may need a sensor replaced. It runs well, no missing or other abnormalities.

It may be as simple as the vehicle-down sensor as it was dropped.

Are all of these (possibly faulty) sensors relatively simple to replace?

Thanks!

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
VDS Vehicle Down / No

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
Hello all.

Been reading for a while; lots of great info to be had here. Looking at a 2009 for purchase; the FI light is on. I know how to do the diagnostic but the bike is not close enough to just drive over and do it. My question is: what is the worst case scenario as far as the FI light? It may just need to be ridden, or it may need a sensor replaced. It runs well, no missing or other abnormalities.

It may be as simple as the vehicle-down sensor as it was dropped.

Are all of these (possibly faulty) sensors relatively simple to replace?

Thanks!
@AmbientMoto
If it was the VDS there wouldn't be anything showing and it wouldn't run. Being it is a 2009, I would check the code and post it here on this thread. Since the MK-1 suffered from a lack of wet protection, sensors connectors would corrode, the MK-3 has numerous protection now. Two things I personally would do, have a good voltmeter and check the stator and also get that code. I have a extremely accurate test for checking the stator. Also you should post how many miles are on it and if the valve shim has been done, how $$$ this is being asked for, as there are a lot on this forum available.This is just a start as you need to be aware that the brake fluid should have been changed in the last 3 years and a number of other things.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-08-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Onewizard,
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Yes... I am definitely going to check the stator output- didn't take long on this forum to have an awareness of the stator as one of the (few) weak spots on the V.

The bike is a few hours away, which is why I was asking ahead of time. I'm coming from a V-Strom as my last bike; don't mind a bit of mechanical work, in fact I enjoy it. Typically I'll drop the oil and also replace brake/fork fluids with a new bike. I don't know as much about the V, except that it seems a great choice for me right now. I was mainly wondering if there was a worst case scenario with the FI light that would indicate serious issues. I don't mind replacing sensors or other similar parts, but I realize also it's an open-ended question to some degree...

The bike runs well, it has 29k miles. It has a sub $2k asking price because of some cosmetic issues that I can easily address. The price is low enough that a few hours drive to check it out is no big deal BUT I'd rather be armed with as much knowledge as possible. Waiting for a few more photos and video from the future PO.

Indirectly related... I've really enjoyed browsing the forum thus far. One thing I enjoyed about the DL was the flexibility as far as modification (or not) was concerned. The V seems similar... there are aspects that can be tweaked etc if I choose, and I've been making a list of projects... if only because I enjoy the garage time.

I'll keep a running log on the progress... of whatever bike I end up with!
onewizard likes this.

Here to learn.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok here's a quick startup video of the afore-mentioned bike. Besides the idle being a few hundred rpm's low (at least for my taste)... does it sound like a Versys? I've looked at as many youtube videos as I can find and it sounds like one to me, but you guys will know better.

Again... I know the FI light is impossible to diagnose without being there and running the self-diagnostic, which I'll do, but for now trying to get as much info as possible. Had a good conversation with the current owner.

Thanks again; I'm looking forward to actually helping with the forum instead of asking...

Here to learn.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02U9...ature=youtu.be

Ok here's a quick startup video of the afore-mentioned bike. Besides the idle being a few hundred rpm's low (at least for my taste)... does it sound like a Versys? I've looked at as many youtube videos as I can find and it sounds like one to me, but you guys will know better.

Again... I know the FI light is impossible to diagnose without being there and running the self-diagnostic, which I'll do, but for now trying to get as much info as possible. Had a good conversation with the current owner.

Thanks again; I'm looking forward to actually helping with the forum instead of asking...
Idle RPM is way off, looks like 1000 RPM should be 1350 to 1450, also it should have been on fast idle when started, which is around 1600 RPM.That is a red flag, even when my bike sits for 5 minutes , once cooled it always starts on fast idle, what I don't know is if it had been running before the video. As to the sound, it sounds normal. I would ask if the valve shim was done. That error code may point to throttle body problems etc.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-09-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Onewizard,

Thanks (once again) for your insight. Didn't notice the lack of fast idle; the pipes were cool so it was a cold start. One question for you: you mention "throttle body problems etc"... are you referring to issues like needing a sync, or more serious issues that would make the bike a problem bike. Again... another somewhat impossible to answer question; I know you can't magically diagnose the bike. Idle can be easily adjusted BUT that can also be a symptom of deeper issues. Again- if this bike needs a few things, like sensors replaced, TB sync etc thats no problem but I don't want to have to pull an engine! In your opinion/experience, would you think "not too bad to fix" or "possibly major issue"? My main experience is with carbed bikes... so the FI side of things is relatively new to me.

I'll put eyes, ears, and a Multimeter on the bike on the bike next week.

Thanks!

Here to learn.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...does it sound like a Versys?...
Yup - sounds very similar to all three of my V650s, but I agree - your idle RPMs are low.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Yup - sounds very similar to all three of my V650s, but I agree - your idle RPMs are low.

Thanks (again). Not my bike yet; just one I'm considering as a project. @onewizard pointed out the lack of high idle on cold start... and I'm concerned about the ramifications that may have on oil dispersal in the first few moments of engine run. We'll see.

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode