abs light on - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
abs light on

i put new michelins on my 2014 and when i put the wheels back on the abs light is on and wont go off. i tried disconnecting the battery, that didn't work. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First thing to check is that the collumator ring on the front wheel is on the correct side. That's the circle with the rectangular holes around it. The front ABS sensor uses it to sense wheel speed.

Next would be the wires going to the sensors. It isn't all that difficult to damage a sensor during a tire change.
onewizard likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
First thing to check is that the collumator ring on the front wheel is on the correct side. That's the circle with the rectangular holes around it. The front ABS sensor uses it to sense wheel speed....
OPPOSITE sides front and rear. LEFT side front, RIGHT side rear.

Shibumik and 52Degrees like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Garage
I couldn't remember how it went. And I didn't want to say it was one way when the 650 might be different. Heh heh.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

thanx for the advice, ill check it today. the bike seems to stop just as well as it ever did.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
thanx for the advice, ill check it today. the bike seems to stop just as well as it ever did.
ABS systems are designed so that the "default" (FAILURE) position is just NORMAL brakes - non-ABS.
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

thanx 52 degrees and fast eddie, the collumator on the front was on the wrong side.
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
thanx 52 degrees and fast eddie, the collumator on the front was on the wrong side.
Just to solve the puzzle, how did you manage to put the collumator on the wrong side.
(I don't have ABS on my 09).
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Garage
The wheel is easily installed backward. Fits either way.

The next question is whether or not the tire is now reversed. The tone ring can be installed on either side, I think.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The wheel is easily installed backward. Fits either way.

The next question is whether or not the tire is now reversed. The tone ring can be installed on either side, I think.
Good question on the tire rotation and I am still puzzle as to how one can install the tone ring in the wrong side. Most of the rings are pieced together to the hub. I am getting confused as I see too many trucks in our workshop and there in no way the ring can be wrongly installed.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:01 AM

Garage
It's attached to the wheel hub with 4 bolts. I believe there are mounting holes on both sides. Other than the ring , there are basically no differences left to right. Not at all like a truck, where everything is mounted only on the inside of the hub or wheel.
Fastoman likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks , need to refresh my study on this subject. Long time since i did any major maintenance on the bike.
52Degrees likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Brake Rotor

So I went out and looked, the collumator is attached to the brake rotor and no idea how you would remove it. If the tire rotation was correct , that is you mounted the tire on the rim in the wrong direction, the only out that I can see is to remove the rotors and swap left to right, or take the trie off the rim and mount correctly. Haven't heard from the OP if he just mounted the assembly wrong or if the tire was mounted wrong.
Fastoman likes this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Good question on the tire rotation and I am still puzzle as to how one can install the tone ring in the wrong side....
BASICALLY you can't (w/out REALLY trying!!!) install the tone ring in the wrong side - but you CAN just install the wheel 'backwards'.

Look at YOUR front wheel - on the LEFT side, near the axle, you should see an arrow indicating the correct rotation direction. When I'm changing a front tire, I always mark THAT direction arrow onto the brake-disc w/ a felt marker, so I'm NOT likely to install it backwards, and it'll wear off as soon as I use the brakes.

Fastoman and dddd like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
BASICALLY you can't (w/out REALLY trying!!!) install the tone ring in the wrong side - but you CAN just install the wheel 'backwards'.

Look at YOUR front wheel - on the LEFT side, near the axle, you should see an arrow indicating the correct rotation direction. When I'm changing a front tire, I always mark THAT direction arrow onto the brake-disc w/ a felt marker, so I'm NOT likely to install it backwards, and it'll wear off as soon as I use the brakes.

That is basically my believe that you simply cant install the Tone Ring on the wrong side. Till I take a close at a bike with ABS, I will leave matter as they are. As 52 Degrees point out on the 4 threaded hole on both side, will need to verify that too as a manufacture would always incorporate fail save design so that parts are not install in the wrong side.
Thanks for the feedback.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
That is basically my believe that you simply cant install the Tone Ring on the wrong side. Till I take a close at a bike with ABS, I will leave matter as they are. As 52 Degrees point out on the 4 threaded hole on both side, will need to verify that too as a manufacture would always incorporate fail save design so that parts are not install in the wrong side.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not married to the idea that there are holes on both sides, I didn't actually check. I could just as easily be wrong. But that is the way I remember it.

Also, my experience is with a V1k, and none with a 650.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not married to the idea that there are holes on both sides, I didn't actually check. I could just as easily be wrong. But that is the way I remember it.

Also, my experience is with a V1k, and none with a 650.
Noted and no worries Sir. I too have got no visual insight on the ABS of a versys as mine is not ABS.

All this discussion is about certainty of knowledge and nothing more. Thanks for you input which is highly appreciated.

Serve All. Love All.
52Degrees likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

yes, i mounted the tire backwards and then put the wheel on so tire was rolling correctly. i hope to switch the rotors so i dont have to remount the tire.
onewizard, Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
yes, i mounted the tire backwards and then put the wheel on so tire was rolling correctly. i hope to switch the rotors so i dont have to remount the tire.
You'll likely have better results remounting the tire. Every bolt on that wheel assembly has thread locker on it.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

ok, thanx, i was afraid of that. i didnt want to because i have "ride on" tire balancer and sealant installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode