• 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By nayr14
  • 1 Post By chid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 Versys LED conversion (Oops, I did it...)

Disclaimer: before the headlight gurus chime in, let me clarify this is for experimental purposes only.
Yes, they're extremely bright and the beam gets scattered with the versys gen3 headlight reflectors. You can light the road ahead, all trees and possibly the entire galaxy with these setup, which could be dangerous.
I'll revert it back to the OEM headlight since I kept the original rubber seal and sockets unchanged.

That being said (or sad), has anyone installed dimmers/pwm with LED headlights?

Last edited by Jay_Chicago; 08-20-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
PWM / LED Dimmer / Other

I know several post have been made on PWM and other dimming methods, I was asked to move this thread from cosmetic to General. Just a FYI, I have posts on LED headlight conversion, particularly on the 2015 and newer, I have a low beam with one in, and rotated it as best I could, as I have mentioned before, unless you are delivering pizza , looking for possum in a tree or directing a plane to land, it is a bad idea. I don't care how much you dim it, the light is everywhere , and not where you need it. However if you have a MK-2 or older that is a different story.Since the OP has a MK-3 I rest my case, FYI even though I stated I have a led in low beam, the actual light that illuminates the road is about 500 lumen more than my 60 watt osram night breaker , the big difference is the wattage is less than half and even with the Denali on high I have a approx. 12 watt gain over the Osram.
Fastoman and Jay_Chicago like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-21-2019 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Disclaimer: before the headlight gurus chime in, let me clarify this is for experimental purposes only.
Yes, they're extremely bright and the beam gets scattered with the versys gen3 headlight reflectors. You can light the road ahead, all trees and possibly the entire galaxy with these setup, which could be dangerous.
I'll revert it back to the OEM headlight since I kept the original rubber seal and sockets unchanged.

That being said (or sad), has anyone installed dimmers/pwm with LED headlights?

What brand of LED? I installed a Light Pro brand H7 in the low beam and found it to have less scatter than the halogen and a nice, fairly sharp cutoff line. I left the high beam halogen in for the two color daytime effect.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
What brand of LED? I installed a Light Pro brand H7 in the low beam and found it to have less scatter than the halogen and a nice, fairly sharp cutoff line. I left the high beam halogen in for the two color daytime effect.
Those are Safego LEDs: https://www.amazon.com/LED-Car-Headl.../dp/B0773CW4L7
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Potos Safego LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Just a FYI moved a thread, I have photos of those used only in my Low Beam
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...50-2019-a.html
Jay_Chicago likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Gen 1 with Eagle Eye/HID, for High Beam only. It lights up the street for safe night ride.
Jay_Chicago likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I can't recommend the BK moto kit enough. It's worth the cash!

2013 - 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300 HID BiXenon Projector kit with angel eyes halo
Fastoman and Craigar like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:12 AM

The BK light set states that it for the Gen 3 (15-17). I am new to the Versys and am wondering if Kawasaki changed any headlight things on the 18+ models...as I have an '18.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
-Sun Tzu
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
I can't recommend the BK moto kit enough. It's worth the cash!

2013 - 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300 HID BiXenon Projector kit with angel eyes halo
@nayr14

Several Members have done this @chid the key is dual hid , in each side. I would be interested in some numbers, lumens on low and high and wattage , actual current and voltage of the unit. Reliability of HID aftermarket has always been a question.I recall seeing too many pickups with after market HID driving our 401 with the lights going through a cycle, strike, come up to brilliance in 2 or 3 minutes then go out and start again, you convert to those and they fail there is nothing you could do.Someone has over 2000 hours trouble free let me know. BTW in the 2015 on, I mentioned dual low and high in both left and right headlight, you need high beam already warmed up from low beam, you can't wait 2 or 3 minutes to see if a moose is crossing the road.
I carry a spare Osram bulb that I could swap out my LED low beam or Osram high beam, yes it isn't easy, but I could always take the front plastic off in minutes.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light-bar.html

Last edited by onewizard; 08-23-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
@nayr14

Several Members have done this @chid the key is dual hid , in each side. I would be interested in some numbers, lumens on low and high and wattage , actual current and voltage of the unit. Reliability of HID aftermarket has always been a question.I recall seeing too many pickups with after market HID driving our 401 with the lights going through a cycle, strike, come up to brilliance in 2 or 3 minutes then go out and start again, you convert to those and they fail there is nothing you could do.Someone has over 2000 hours trouble free let me know. BTW in the 2015 on, I mentioned dual low and high in both left and right headlight, you need high beam already warmed up from low beam, you can't wait 2 or 3 minutes to see if a moose is crossing the road.
I carry a spare Osram bulb that I could swap out my LED low beam or Osram high beam, yes it isn't easy, but I could always take the front plastic off in minutes.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light-bar.html

I did the upgrade on my 2009 Versys, with Morimoto mini bi-xenon, with chinese bulbs. HID is not affected by the vibrations, as it has no filament. That being said, one bulb died just before selling the bike, I purchased a replacement with 30CAD.

I went with full Morimoto mini, ballasts and bulbs (Japanese, more expensive) on my 2015 Versys. No problems since then.
Here are some data on the HID bulbs from Amazon:

5500K Pure White (~3400 lm)
LIFESPAN: 2500 Hours
BULB SIZE: H1
WATTAGE: 35W and 55W

Mine are 35W.
I don't know how many hours, but my Versys has 35k km now.

You need to have the low beam ON to use the high beam, and in this situation, the high beam is instant (it just flips a plate)
it takes about 30 sec to start the low beam from OFF to full, but it takes about 15-20 sec to start from the press of the button, it has a delay in the ballast.

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; 08-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I did the upgrade on my 2009 Versys, with Morimoto mini bi-xenon, with chinese bulbs. HID is not affected by the vibrations, as it has no filament. That being said, one bulb died just before selling the bike, I purchased a replacement with 30CAD.

I went with full Morimoto mini, ballasts and bulbs (Japanese, more expensive) on my 2015 Versys. No problems since then.
Here are some data on the HID bulbs from Amazon:

5500K Pure White (~3400 lm)
LIFESPAN: 2500 Hours
BULB SIZE: H1
WATTAGE: 35W and 55W

Mine are 35W.
I don't know how many hours, but my Versys has 35k km now.

You need to have the low beam ON to use the high beam, and in this situation, the high beam is instant (it just flips a plate)
it takes about 30 sec to start the low beam from OFF to full, but it takes about 15-20 sec to start from the press of the button, it has a delay in the ballast.
Since you have done this several times, my understanding is the headlight assembly needs to come apart and once complete you would need to buy complete headlight assembly. The spec appears to be 3400 lumen @5500K for the 35 watt ?
I know in your How To post it stated 6500 K , $$$$$ were spent, and I doubt for the price, that many would be tempted to buy these plus the work to install . I hear complaints about the cost of the Denali lights I use with the data dim, something like $400 plus the SW-Motech mounts @ $75.

If you have any more info or wish to add or edit in the how to, I can move things later for you. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light-bar.html
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Since you have done this several times, my understanding is the headlight assembly needs to come apart and once complete you would need to buy complete headlight assembly. The spec appears to be 3400 lumen @5500K for the 35 watt ?
I know in your How To post it stated 6500 K , $$$$$ were spent, and I doubt for the price, that many would be tempted to buy these plus the work to install . I hear complaints about the cost of the Denali lights I use with the data dim, something like $400 plus the SW-Motech mounts @ $75.

If you have any more info or wish to add or edit in the how to, I can move things later for you. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light-bar.html
Yes, the headlight assembly needs to go off the bike, remove the glass (plastic), trim the mirrors (you don't need them once you install the projectors).
You don't need to buy another headlight, just use one that you have.

Yes, it is expensive, but for the light you get.... I would do it again, it's about safety.
I don't know about the new bi-LED projectors, they didn't have them when I did it.

The installation is not that difficult, the most is removing the plastic from the headlight.
onewizard likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode