LED fog lights questions (i read the how to yes) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 2 Post By mrchunks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
LED fog lights questions (i read the how to yes)

i have a 2018 versys 650 abs i am farkling some LED fog lamps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in the pics with red arrows the 2 single wires are the positive and negative accessory right?? the other molded white connector is for the heated grips i assume?

what is under the blob of tape that finger is pointing at ? i dont wanna cut a bunch of stuff willy nilly..

if i have the fancy free gift switch sent with the lights do i need to add a relay?or are those wires already relayed?

i read the LED how to but that was for a 2015 i believe and the service manual didnt have anything i found (or i missed it)

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inked20190814_190945_LI.jpg (26.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190814_191204.jpg (36.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190814_190739.jpg (52.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190505_090049.jpg (111.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20190814_190639.jpg (22.5 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You gift is a switch and you will need a relay for aux light connection. Don't cut any wire if you are not sure. Use a test light to be sure on + and -.

How to connect a aux light.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

For switched power you can tap from Tail light.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
You gift is a switch and you will need a relay for aux light connection. Don't cut any wire if you are not sure. Use a test light to be sure on + and -.

How to connect a aux light.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

For switched power you can tap from Tail light.
I would strongly suggest purchasing a cheap digital voltmeter if you do not own one. It will allow you to confirm connections you intend to make before you make changes and prevent mistakes and possible damage as well as give you the ability to troubleshoot electrical problems.

I have higher drawing aux lights than these and just power them from the high beam headlight light POS wire I spliced into. This means I do not need an extra switch and they switch on with the high beam. LED lights are typically low current draw so are not really a stressor on the electrical system.

Relays however are handy for heated grips which are high current and need to be connected to the battery. It will turn them off with the ignition. See threads on using a cheap automotive relay for this.
dadsafrantic likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-15-2019 at 01:25 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchunks View Post
i have a 2018 versys 650 abs i am farkling some LED fog lamps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in the pics with red arrows the 2 single wires are the positive and negative accessory right?? the other molded white connector is for the heated grips i assume?

what is under the blob of tape that finger is pointing at ? i dont wanna cut a bunch of stuff willy nilly..

if i have the fancy free gift switch sent with the lights do i need to add a relay?or are those wires already relayed?

i read the LED how to but that was for a 2015 i believe and the service manual didnt have anything i found (or i missed it)

thanks
Your third photo shows the aux. relay in place, look in the owners manual, the bullet connectors are rated and fused for 5 amp, a meter is useful however most led lights will only work with the correct polarity, generally red is positive. The is numerous threads in the how to forum.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchunks View Post
...If i have the fancy free gift switch sent with the lights do i need to add a relay?or are those wires already relayed?

thanks
When I added stuff to my Gen 3 ('15 V650LT), I added the Kawi relay (maybe $20...) that's just behind the headlights, left-side while facing the headlight area, then just used the sets (FOUR) of connections that were THEN powered. The instructions are in my (Canadian) OWNER'S MANUAL under the heading - "Electric Accessory Connectors" on pages 72, 73.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you all for the input
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
so i got the volt meter out of my work truck and checked the owners manual versus the service manual and confirmed those 2 loose wires (not the white molded one for the heated grips) ARE for the fog lights and already on a relay....wired it all up and soldered connections ,did a static test and all seems ok .
got all the plastic bits put back on and after dark went out for a test drive and got no more than a half mile before they crapped out ...flickering light alternating with hi or low lamp...i disconnected and rewired the main power connections with crimp type connectors and suspect a bad ground or the " high quality gifted switch" (sarcasm font enabled in quotes)
now tonite another test drive and will try to figure out where to aim the lights so i dont blind anyone
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode