I can't believe how much the engine smoothed out. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe how much the engine smoothed out.

I bought a 2018 Versys 650 new this past April. When I first started riding it, I noticed there was an unpleasant vibration around 4000-4500rpm. Not a deal breaker, but enough that I thought that rpm range should probably be avoided. Also, below 4000 was no pleasure either. Sure, work your way up through the gears, but when arriving at the desired cruising speed...anywhere between 25mph and 55mph....it's best to keep the rpm at 5000. 5k seemed to be a nice sweet spot. And 65mph is right at 5k rpm...and the bike is so smooth at that speed/rpm.

I changed the oil at 500 miles, and I switched to full synthetic.

The bike now has 2300 miles on it, and I can't believe how much the engine has smoothed out. That 'unpleasant vibration' at 4000-4500 is completely GONE! I'm so surprised this has happened. I don't know if switching to full synthetic contributes to this or not. This new smoothness has only come on in the last 600-700 miles or so. (or perhaps that's when I really started to notice)

I can now ride the bike at much lower rpm. As long as I'm holding a steady speed and don't need lots of power (like going up a hill), I can run the bike at 3000-4000rpm, and it feels fine. Heck, now when I get the rpm's up near 5k, I feel as if that's too high. (for steady cruising) I was originally going to consider the ECU tune from Shoodaben, but I don't think it's needed.

In my years breaking in new car engines...I've never noticed ANY difference in the feel of the car/engine. But I'm shocked at such a transformation on the Versys 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Keep riding and enjoy the versys. It will come to you as you pay attention to it. Be safe.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 PM

Garage
Big trucks have a similar break-in, but at 40-70k miles. Big differences in fuel economy and power. Kind of makes sense, given the fairy extreme nature of both types of vehicles.
Fastoman likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 PM

Garage
Most Kawasaki dealerships want to wait until the 4,000 mile mark before going synthetic. Several have told me it's a clutch break-in issue more than anything else. I am getting ready to move to synthetic soon. Maybe someone here can elaborate further.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
Most Kawasaki dealerships want to wait until the 4,000 mile mark before going synthetic. Several have told me it's a clutch break-in issue more than anything else. I am getting ready to move to synthetic soon. Maybe someone here can elaborate further.
I just switched at 16k

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
Do you notice and like the difference?

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Do you notice and like the difference?
I noticed Synthetic was $43 for 6 quarts and semi-synthetic was $34 a gallon (4 quarts) on Amazon.

Other than that, oil is pretty much oil.
Jay_Chicago and Shibumik like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Thanks so much for the insight.
52Degrees likes this.

Andy Borowitz
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
I "broke-in" my three V650s on the ride home from the dealer (about 50 miles), then changed the oil/filter, then AGAIN at 500, and at 1,000 miles. Then at 1,000 miles I switched to Mobil1 15w-50 (automobile oil!) which I get for about $25 for 5L @ Walmart, and THAT is changed each 5K miles (8K kms).

WAY-Y-Y smoother, and NO clutch slip!!!

Shibumik likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I "broke-in" my three V650s on the ride home from the dealer (about 50 miles), then changed the oil/filter, then AGAIN at 500, and at 1,000 miles. Then at 1,000 miles I switched to Mobil1 15w-50 (automobile oil!) which I get for about $25 for 5L @ Walmart, and THAT is changed each 5K miles (8K kms).

WAY-Y-Y smoother, and NO clutch slip!!!

Great to know!

Andy Borowitz
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, it is always hard to say what fixed the roughness when you introduced 2 variables at the same time: synthetic oil and more miles on the bike. Given that you just noticed it getting smother as you got closer to 2300 miles, I would say the break in smoothed things out. Of course the synthetic probably helped also. Like Fast Eddie (I bought mine with 10K on it already) I use Mobil 15-W50 synthetic auto oil from Walmart without any problem (now at 36K miles). Plus it is always a grin to go see all the interesting Walmartians shopping there. And the heavy weight of the oil is good year round here in the desert. Now go ride and have fun!!
Shibumik likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I noticed Synthetic was $43 for 6 quarts and semi-synthetic was $34 a gallon (4 quarts) on Amazon.

I stock up on the Motul 7100 10W-40 Full Synthetic when i catch a price like this....Stuff works great...https://www.amazon.com/Motul-7100-Sy...s%2C185&sr=8-4
16VGTIDave, Shibumik and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Motul 7100 is the best oil you can get for your bike. My versys switched to Motul right after the break-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I stock up on the Motul 7100 10W-40 Full Synthetic when i catch a price like this....Stuff works great...https://www.amazon.com/Motul-7100-Sy...s%2C185&sr=8-4
weljo2001 and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM

Garage
Picked up a '15 V650 last October with 2200 miles. Did a oil change at 2800 miles with Castrol Power 1. Only because I had 2 qts sitting on the shelf. Within 500 miles it smoothed out so much that it's a different bike. Really sweet at highway speeds, 5k - 6k.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 PM

I also have vibration at 4000-5000 rpm after first service at 1000km and after adding handguard and crashbar I notice more and more vibration, and one day I didn't notice anything until one guy rearend me when I was standing on 1 place waiting to my turn for highway toll payment. After that I notice everthing until I get to service where they check bike and say that is everything OK. After that I didn't feel any vibration in any range. But after second service at 6000km I again feel that stupid vibration.

Anyway how I feel different every day, same is with vibration, sometimes they get me crazy, sometimes I don't feel them.

I have trip in 1 direction 750km in one day (10 hours of driving), I didn't feel any vibration, I was excited ,the first trip with my new and first motorbike in life and I went to sea on little vacation. That is reason why I say that felling affect on riding and how much stuff you will notice.
One day I notice many thing, next day nothing, so I think: I am crazy or what? Probably crazy hahahah

P.S. service guy use motorex 15w-50 for my 2018 Versys 650

Last edited by kardan; 08-14-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post

Sure, and whiskey is pretty much whiskey. Or beer, vodka, gin, fruity coolers, horse piss...

Without a doubt, there is a massive difference between lubricants. Highly skilled and paid chemical engineers can tell you why - I’m not going to try as I’ve enjoyed some whiskey.

And just to let you know, semi-synthetic oil was invented by the marketing departments to make a more profitable product. It is no better than the non-synthetic base stock. I.e. the cheap Dino oil that makes up most of it. Ever heard the saying “A chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link.”? It is applicable.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
Uh-huh. They don't spend millions of dollars marketing expensive oils to you that generate incremental improvements in performance or longevity.

Because that would be dishonest, right?
Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 PM

Garage
Someone I respect and trust was a petro-chemical engineer working in synthetic lubricants much of his career. All I’m going to add to this is that we all need to get past the marketing BS and learn about oils. Some of the “synthetic” oils are not (thanks to U.S. courts for that). Their price reflects it. A proper synthetic oil (like Motul 7100) is so vastly superior to a rotted dinosaur that there is virtually no point in even comparing them to each other.

I run the good stuff for extended drain intervals without hesitation. The labor and material cost savings make it an easy choice.

And with that, I’m done with this internet discussion of oils.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Someone I respect and trust was a petro-chemical engineer working in synthetic lubricants much of his career. All I’m going to add to this is that we all need to get past the marketing BS and learn about oils. Some of the “synthetic” oils are not (thanks to U.S. courts for that). Their price reflects it. A proper synthetic oil (like Motul 7100) is so vastly superior to a rotted dinosaur that there is virtually no point in even comparing them to each other.

I run the good stuff for extended drain intervals without hesitation. The labor and material cost savings make it an easy choice.

And with that, I’m done with this internet discussion of oils.
Just so we're clear, you're the one who jumped in and started an argument over oil when I started the only difference I noticed was the price.

To clarify my position further, these bikes are going to be WORN OUT at 150k miles, regardless of the motor oil used. Some may go a little further, most won't get to 75k. Spending more on synthetic oil only makes you feel better and your wallet lighter.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
I bought a 2018 Versys 650 new this past April. When I first started riding it, I noticed there was an unpleasant vibration around 4000-4500rpm. Not a deal breaker, but enough that I thought that rpm range should probably be avoided. Also, below 4000 was no pleasure either. Sure, work your way up through the gears, but when arriving at the desired cruising speed...anywhere between 25mph and 55mph....it's best to keep the rpm at 5000. 5k seemed to be a nice sweet spot. And 65mph is right at 5k rpm...and the bike is so smooth at that speed/rpm.

I changed the oil at 500 miles, and I switched to full synthetic.

The bike now has 2300 miles on it, and I can't believe how much the engine has smoothed out. That 'unpleasant vibration' at 4000-4500 is completely GONE! I'm so surprised this has happened. I don't know if switching to full synthetic contributes to this or not. This new smoothness has only come on in the last 600-700 miles or so. (or perhaps that's when I really started to notice)

I can now ride the bike at much lower rpm. As long as I'm holding a steady speed and don't need lots of power (like going up a hill), I can run the bike at 3000-4000rpm, and it feels fine. Heck, now when I get the rpm's up near 5k, I feel as if that's too high. (for steady cruising) I was originally going to consider the ECU tune from Shoodaben, but I don't think it's needed.

In my years breaking in new car engines...I've never noticed ANY difference in the feel of the car/engine. But I'm shocked at such a transformation on the Versys 650.
Motorcycle engines are not like car engines. They are made to spin fast. You will find the bike performs much better at higher RPMs. Running it at these speeds does not hurt it. Running at 3-4K is not recommended unless using a very low gear to go slowly as it will cause the engine to lug in higher gears. The engine also runs smoother at higher speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in