Good Deal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good Deal?

Looking at a 2017 650 new at a stealer-ship. They have both the regular and LT versions, both 2017 models. I'm wondering what you guys think about the pricing. I was considering the regular version because I've read here the factory cases are less than useful. Plus hand guards seem to be pretty cheap aftermarket. They are asking 5800 for the regular and 6949 for the LT. The LT has a scuff on one of the bags from it sitting around the dealership. Wondering what you guys would go in offering for either bike. I'm drawn to the color scheme of the LT. But it's no deal breaker. Plus the regular seems to be a pretty good deal.
Any reason you think they're sitting on these 17s? Aside from the fact they're located in the middle of nowhere. I would ask for fresh oil and such. Any other suggestions?

Esse Quam Videri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Prices can be regional. Where are you located??

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Charlotte, NC

Esse Quam Videri

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 PM

I not sure what the 2017 msrp was but but compared to what I paid for my 2019 LT both of those prices seem Great!!! My msrp was $9100 .I personally like my factory side cases,even though Iíve used soft Panniers on all my other bikes.I guess if I was you Iíd go for the Regular Versys. P.S. I got my 2019 for $8,400 plus the extra charges. I did have a trade- in which I got $2400 thatís were I loss some value/// $$$$
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure where you've seen that the factory cases are useless. I'm very happy with mine and you can cram a lot of stuff in them. I use my Versys mainly for daily commuting and use the bags every day.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, maybe I read it somewhere else. It seems like I'll be able to purchase side and top cases for less than the added 1100 bucks they want for the cases and hand guards. It does look like the factory ones are more streamline and hug the bike a bit more than say the Givi's do. I'd rather not be wider than absolutely necessary anyway. It's a toss up. I'm sure I'd quickly forget about the price difference after a few miles of motorcycle mayhem.

Esse Quam Videri
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmontoya View Post
Hmm, maybe I read it somewhere else. It seems like I'll be able to purchase side and top cases for less than the added 1100 bucks they want for the cases and hand guards. It does look like the factory ones are more streamline and hug the bike a bit more than say the Givi's do. I'd rather not be wider than absolutely necessary anyway. It's a toss up. I'm sure I'd quickly forget about the price difference after a few miles of motorcycle mayhem.
I believe the LT also includes a 2 year warranty, where the regular one is only 1 year. At least that was the case when I bought my 2016 in 2016.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The factory case are made by Givi and the LT comes with a 2 year warranty over the regular bikes 1 year warranty. I took the side cases off my bike and installed a large top case. I like the bike slimmer and didn't want to scuff the cases with my boots. Will use them when needed ut so far they have been in the spare room since 2016..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-08-2019 at 10:13 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:27 PM

Both are great prices. If you think youíll use the side cases, then go for the LT.

Iíve a 2015 LT & a top case. I use the top case daily on my commute and prefer it over the side cases.

What is nice about the side cases is that both can take a full face helmet, and, the locks are keyed to the ignition key. They also do look nice and they have a super simple attachment system, so no ugly bag frames on show when the cases are off.

Tough choice but you canít really go wrong with either.........especially at these prices.

Dave
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I was considering the regular version because I've read here the factory cases are less than useful.
I'm not sure if it was written here, but I've read similar remarks in reviews where the complaint was the shape of the side case is not very rectangular and therefore the packing area is not as efficient as a more rectangular shaped side case. If the shape is not a deal breaker, if one doesn't need a more rectangular shape to do the job that's required, the stock side cases are pretty rugged (a drop only caused some scratches), look pretty decent (subjective), and are a snap to install and remove. FWIW
zakmontoya likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Looking at a 2017 650 new at a stealer-ship. They have both the regular and LT versions, both 2017 models. I'm wondering what you guys think about the pricing. I was considering the regular version because I've read here the factory cases are less than useful. Plus hand guards seem to be pretty cheap aftermarket. They are asking 5800 for the regular and 6949 for the LT. The LT has a scuff on one of the bags from it sitting around the dealership. Wondering what you guys would go in offering for either bike. I'm drawn to the color scheme of the LT. But it's no deal breaker. Plus the regular seems to be a pretty good deal.
Any reason you think they're sitting on these 17s? Aside from the fact they're located in the middle of nowhere. I would ask for fresh oil and such. Any other suggestions?
Price alone means nothing. What is the Out the Door (OTD) price for each of them. Some dealers charge crazy setup, documentation, freight, etc. fees that can add up to $2000. Some dealers you pay the price you see and then add tax and title.

I paid MSRP for my 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan of $4500. I paid my tax and registration at my DMV.

I've read where others have paid $5500 for the same bike before tax and registration.

Good Luck.

I would opt for the LT if you think you are going to use the hard bags. They are better integrated with the bike and look good installed and the bike still looks good without them

Have them fix the scuff or discount for it.

Look up the NADA value of a used 2017 and that will give you an idea of what the bank will loan and what the insurance company will pay out on a total loss.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
Not sure where you've seen that the factory cases are useless. I'm very happy with mine and you can cram a lot of stuff in them. I use my Versys mainly for daily commuting and use the bags every day.
I bought a '15 V650LT, and here's what my left-side pannier looked like after I fell onto that side:

I wish I had bought it w/out the plastic panniers and just added TUSKs, and here's my '09 w/ a set of aluminum TUSK panniers on it:

and my '08 w/ the TUSK panniers:

zakmontoya likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. 2 Year warranty is very tempting. I wonder if that's applicable at all dealerships since I likely won't always be in NC. Say if I break down between here and Alaska (which is my next planned ride).

Esse Quam Videri
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hmm. 2 Year warranty is very tempting. I wonder if that's applicable at all dealerships since I likely won't always be in NC. Say if I break down between here and Alaska (which is my next planned ride).
If its covered under warranty it doesn't matter what dealership you take it to....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 AM
jpd

Garage
I guess it depends on how you plan to use the bike.

The factory bags look good but like most factory bags they mold them around the bike. I like the look better than the big ugly metal boxes that many people bolt onto their adventure bikes. Although the big metal boxes will hold more stuff and if that is what you need for you planed trip there are several options and they may be the better choice. They may be less expensive than the factory bags.

I bought a 2 year old 2013 v650 new from the dealer. I also had a choice of a 15 v650lt . I felt the deal on the 13 was too good to pass up. I have added Hepco Becker C-Bow bags with a tail rack. This combo is good for a weekend trip might not be enough for a long trip.

Jeff

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmm. 2 Year warranty is very tempting....
On my THREE V650s, the ONLY warranty work I ever needed was when the forks on my '15 V650LT started to leak up N, along the Alcan Hwy, and they were 'fixed' under warranty at a couple of weeks BEFORE the end of the first year.

Other than THAT - dead reliable!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
I have a 2017 Versys 650 LT in Titanium color with 7000 miles that I will sell for $5800 here in northern Indiana near Notre Dame.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
the factory boxes are decent. I really prefer a top loader but these work well for a clamshell type. you have to lock/unlock in order to open/close them and also to install/remove. it's a bit fiddly but they are easy to install/remove, and secure when mounted

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

PM me some pics JimK. I'm always on the hunt!

Esse Quam Videri
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 PM

I just traded in my 15' 650LT with the matching top case (15K on the clock) and they allowed me $4550 on the trade in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode