Good Deal? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmontoya View Post
. I was considering the regular version because I've read here the factory cases are less than useful.
I love the factory panniers on my 2015 650,great one key system and integrated into the design of the bike. They go deeper under the set and they never leave my bike.One side is my "essential"on the road kit,other is empty for my helmut or if I take my technical jacket off while riding I can fold it up in there.I can see lugging those big coffins around on a long trip but way too cumbersome for my everyday use. Its a toss up,think of your needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmontoya View Post
Hmm. 2 Year warranty is very tempting. I wonder if that's applicable at all dealerships since I likely won't always be in NC. Say if I break down between here and Alaska (which is my next planned ride).
Kawasaki stepped up and reimbursed me for a warranty repair I had performed at a Honda dealer while on a trip. There were no Kawasaki dealers within my tow limit and the part that got fixed became a recall a few months later. This was on my Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager. They also did a $2000 warranty repair on that bike at 50,000 miles. All the multi-brand dealers tell me Kawasaki is the best when it comes to authorizing warranty work.
Buffalo_Bob and zakmontoya like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM

I really like the panniers on my '18 LT. The integration and ease of on/off helped push me in that direction. I have a Shad X-pandable top box on order, should be here this week to add a trunk space. The amount of "stuff" the side cases is pretty impressive. I can lock my full face helmet in one and my Spidi jacket (with full armor) in the other. For me the sport touring look of the factory boxes was a deciding point vs. the adv touring box look.
For what it is worth, in my 2 weeks of ownership, I am in love with my LT. Shoot them a low ball offer and see if they bite. If they have the bike financed with a bank they are paying interest on their loan so they might be willing to take another $500-750 off. Worst case is they say "no".

-K

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
-Sun Tzu

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am one of the regular critics of the factory side luggage. The top box is excellent! You can buy the identical top box elsewhere, just without the matching color panel. So, if you want the matching color pay the premium from your dealer, otherwise get the black panel top box from an aftermarket source and save some $$.

I commute to work on my '15 LT with factory luggage, as well as some touring and even some mild back country camping. The volume of the luggage is ok, but I find the shape terrible particularly for work. The slanted shape severely reduces the size of a rectangular object you can fit. A standard briefcase probably won't fit. I have several soft bags, one with a tablet in it, and have great difficulty getting them to fit. The shape is also poor for grocery shopping.

For camping, having a flat top and lash points on rectangular metal boxes would be a really nice feature. Top loading would be nice. One maker has boxes which can either open from the top or the side.

In some ways the factory luggage is really nice. It mounts/dismounts from the bike very quickly, without needing any rack system. Factory bags are keyed to your ignition key. Opening and closing the luggage is really simple.

I don't totally trust the clasp though. I once had one pop open, most likely my error in closing it, but proof it is possible to think it is locked closed when it really isn't. I use little velcro wraps on the factory side luggage handles to ensure they remain closed.

Aesthetically, whatever you prefer is up to you. I don't mind the look of the factory luggage, but were money no factor I would replace them with metal luggage.

In 2015 the LT had ABS whereas the base model did not. The ABS is well worth the extra cost, though I don't know if it is standard on all 2017 versions. The ABS was the selling point for me to choose the LT.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Price alone means nothing. What is the Out the Door (OTD) price for each of them. Some dealers charge crazy setup, documentation, freight, etc. fees that can add up to $2000. Some dealers you pay the price you see and then add tax and title.

I paid MSRP for my 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan of $4500. I paid my tax and registration at my DMV.

I've read where others have paid $5500 for the same bike before tax and registration.
I think this is the key question. The bike prices seem ok (although I think the non-LT is a better deal), but it will all depend how much they'll charge on top of it for freight, assembly, docs, etc. Eventhough the bike has been sitting in the showroom helping them sell, most dealers will still push you the assembly cost and the freight.

Aside from the discussion of "transparency on the price vs. easiness of negotiation", try to get the entire figures for both deals to help on your decision.

Cheers
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I am one of the regular critics of the factory side luggage. The top box is excellent! You can buy the identical top box elsewhere, just without the matching color panel. So, if you want the matching color pay the premium from your dealer, otherwise get the black panel top box from an aftermarket source and save some $$.

I commute to work on my '15 LT with factory luggage, as well as some touring and even some mild back country camping. The volume of the luggage is ok, but I find the shape terrible particularly for work. The slanted shape severely reduces the size of a rectangular object you can fit. A standard briefcase probably won't fit. I have several soft bags, one with a tablet in it, and have great difficulty getting them to fit. The shape is also poor for grocery shopping.

For camping, having a flat top and lash points on rectangular metal boxes would be a really nice feature. Top loading would be nice. One maker has boxes which can either open from the top or the side.

In some ways the factory luggage is really nice. It mounts/dismounts from the bike very quickly, without needing any rack system. Factory bags are keyed to your ignition key. Opening and closing the luggage is really simple.

I don't totally trust the clasp though. I once had one pop open, most likely my error in closing it, but proof it is possible to think it is locked closed when it really isn't. I use little velcro wraps on the factory side luggage handles to ensure they remain closed.

Aesthetically, whatever you prefer is up to you. I don't mind the look of the factory luggage, but were money no factor I would replace them with metal luggage.

In 2015 the LT had ABS whereas the base model did not. The ABS is well worth the extra cost, though I don't know if it is standard on all 2017 versions. The ABS was the selling point for me to choose the LT.

ALL 2015 & up Versys 650's have ABS, that is NOT a LT thing.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Canada

Quote:

Not sure where you got that, as in Canada, all 2015 had the ABS , I decided against the LT because of the irregular shape and am extremely happy with my Trekker cases , I have gone down in deep gravel at 20 KM/HR with a minor scratch , the design actually uses the opposite case with a rear cross member for support. I have had my bike taking a nap when I wasn't paying attention in second gear doing a U Turn, also they are top loading or suitcase style , I had Givi 35 on my 07, and hated the left side case, every time opening everything wanted to fall out.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

I camp with my ultra-efficient kit that I use for mountain hiking etc. Everything for that is light and small so it all works without a top box.So if I added a big top box I would have so much room! Mind you,Im a sport touring kinda guy,not big on sketchy gravel and dont 2-up. I do ride sketchy back roads and trails on my mountain road touring bicycle..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my bag rack.jpg (67.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg my travelling setup.jpg (111.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20160627_115612.jpg (95.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Kettle valley.jpg (32.8 KB, 12 views)
onewizard likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
ALL 2015 & up Versys 650's have ABS, that is NOT a LT thing.
Then the salesman lied to me. Imagine that!
quexpress likes this.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Trekker cases ... they are top loading or suitcase style , I had Givi 35 on my 07, and hated the left side case, every time opening everything wanted to fall out.
That seems like the ideal configuration, top and suitcase style opening. I also dislike the left side OEM clamshell opening because of stuff tumbling out.
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
That seems like the ideal configuration, top and suitcase style opening. I also dislike the left side OEM clamshell opening because of stuff tumbling out.
"Ya got that right"!!!
How do I know???? During a ride through the Ontario Highlands, my left Shad side case opened because I probably did not close it properly and ... I lost a brand new Gerbing heated glove. I back tracked but never found it. = expensive lesson ... I now lock my side cases.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 08-15-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode