Cowling Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 3 Post By Buffalo_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cowling Help

Recently got a 15' 650 ABS and last night i dropped her ever so slightly on the right turn signal, which blew out the cowling where the signal was located. I already found and ordered the new cowling. What should I know about replacing this part? Where should I start pulling fasteners out from in order to not ruin everything like i love to do constantly? Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks for having me.

Sincerely,

Pete the Idiot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard! ..."Pete the Idiot" (and I assume that name is BECAUSE of your problem). When you removed the signal wreckage you noticed that SIX-sided metal piece that ANCHORS it to the fairing you broke.

REMOVE THEM from BOTH sides, and next time you 'drop' it you probably won't do any damage. MANY of us had to learn this the 'hard-way'!
dddd likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-07-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Eddie!

Yes i am going with that name since knew the angle of the pavement, saw the sand, and decided to stop there anyway. I wasn't even moving I attached a photo. I haven't removed anything yet. I should have my new part tomorrow though and plan to begin the process then. So you're saying not to anchor the turn signal to the cowling? I guess I am maybe not understanding as well since I lost that piece maybe? Is there anything I should be careful of when removing and reattaching the cowling? Any order I need to follow? Thanks for the welcome and all advice!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turnsignal.jpg (65.7 KB, 26 views)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Oh also Eddie, I went with the black cowling not the ebony. Is this correct? My research showed that ebony goes with the "black" versys, and I have the white versys. Just want to make sure I am not on a hot streak with my idiocy!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
These are the pieces to remove. The rubber grommet will hold the turn signal in place just fine without out them and the turn signal will just pop out if you tip over.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Cowling Help

Thread didn't belong in Member intro , so I moved it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You have a couple of choices:
  • check eBay and the forum for sale section for replacement parts
  • puchase a plastex kit and repair
  • repair with epoxy (if possible)
  • buy new replacement parts from Kawasaki

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconnell21 View Post
......Where should I start pulling fasteners out from
Considering a single side:

-there is a quick rivet at the front
-there are 2 bolts at the top
-there is a bolt at the bottom.
-there are 2 grommet to pull away
That's all the fasteners.

The movement involves pulling the 2 grommets out, not far, then sliding the middle fairing forward to free the tabs of the fairing from the slots on the bike.

Go slow and you'll be fine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! I got it last night without issue. I really appreciate you guy's help!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Hum, I happen to have my fairings off for unrelated maintenance and I just might take those metal plates out while I'm at it, just so I don't become another casualty to Kawi's overengineering Thanks for the tip!

2015 Versys 650
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Or replace the turn signals with micro sized LED signals. They are brighter, the bulbs don't burn out, and they won't hit the ground if/when you tip over. Yes, you can take out the metal bits of the factory units for free. And, fyi, superglue does work on the plastic fairings. I glued mine rather than spend the $$, and the repair is not visible unless you really look closely. There's enough dirt and imperfections on the bike, even though I do try to take care of it, that the repair is not a detractor.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Hum, I happen to have my fairings off for unrelated maintenance and I just might take those metal plates out while I'm at it, just so I don't become another casualty to Kawi's overengineering Thanks for the tip!
Having posted this trick a while ago, I can tell you this: the fairing will probably still crack, mine did. But it didn't take out a hole like this guy above! No repair required, just a hairline fracture.

Short-flexible-stalk turn signals would be the next step, but they are often LED, which means an electric relay, and possibly kawa wire adapter, and adapter plates (overall below 50$ if you avoid the pricy ones like r&g). See turn signal threads on this forum.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Short-flexible-stalk turn signals would be the next step, but they are often LED, which means an electric relay, and possibly kawa wire adapter, and adapter plates (overall below 50$ if you avoid the pricy ones like r&g). See turn signal threads on this forum.
I did install the R&G units. They have an adapter plate now, but at the time I had to cut my own which was super easy. No relay change, just a load resistor that plugs into the existing wiring. Yes there are cheaper LED turn signals out there, but I liked these so went with them.

Converting to LED is easy, just use the plug-in adapter.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconnell21 View Post
Oh also Eddie, I went with the black cowling not the ebony. Is this correct? My research showed that ebony goes with the "black" versys, and I have the white versys. Just want to make sure I am not on a hot streak with my idiocy!
Sorry - my '15 is called the GREEN HORNET TOO for a reason. No idea which color for the black bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Suggestion - change your sentence to: I just WILL take those metal plates out while I'm at it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode