• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Help Versys 650 LT Red Engine Light

Hi All,

Seems I may have ridden my bike with too little gas. I knew the E was flashing but put an extra 30 miles on. Next day when to start the bike and found it wouldn't start or crank and I had the red light, and the red engine light on. Oil was just changed a month ago and at the perfect height in the glass circle. My question is - if I just fill up the bike with gas will it start and reset the sensors or will I need to fill it up and hit some reset buttons before it will work? Or are the fuel injectors hosed? Thanks this bike as 3300 miles on it. It's the 2017 Kawasaki Versys LT. It's gone so perfectly well wanted your opinion before I start messing with it. Thanks for any help you can shed on this problem. Mark

P.S. This bike was never dropped.

Last edited by MarkAnthony; 08-03-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When my gauge starts flashing I have about 1.5 gals of fuel left, under normal street riding conditions. This good for somewhere around 75 miles before running dry, + or - depending on speed or "hooliganism".

I routinely take the bike 20 to 50 miles into the flashing zone and worse case has been having about .5 or so left in the tank. I've never put 5 gals in on a fill, though close a couple of times. Bike is a '15 with 5.5 gal tank.

Bike is a '15 with Cal emissions, evap canister removed and it now has 62k miles on it, and flashed with a Shoodaben ECU flash.

Not sure on the red lights, you have two red lights? It does seemingly sound like an electrics issue in the starting circuit. Does the bike make the normal whirring sounds when the key is first turned on? To ask the obvious, is the kill switch in the run position?

Referencing my '15, but when turning on the key, I get the red oil pressure light and the ABS amber light, that's all.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve J. Did of course check the kill switch and a few other things that could trip me up like the kickstand and neutral, etc. It makes no noises upon trying to start it and says "no I'm just not going to start" so I'll put in 91 octane this morning and hope she will say yes. I might have to reset the engine light but if all that fails then I'm going to have to take it to someone to get some help. Oddly I don't have a close bike shop so I will have to rent a truck?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnthony View Post
Hi All,

Seems I may have ridden my bike with too little gas. I knew the E was flashing but put an extra 30 miles on. Next day when to start the bike and found it wouldn't start or crank and I had the red light, and the red engine light on. Oil was just changed a month ago and at the perfect height in the glass circle. My question is - if I just fill up the bike with gas will it start and reset the sensors or will I need to fill it up and hit some reset buttons before it will work? Or are the fuel injectors hosed? Thanks this bike as 3300 miles on it. It's the 2017 Kawasaki Versys LT. It's gone so perfectly well wanted your opinion before I start messing with it. Thanks for any help you can shed on this problem. Mark

P.S. This bike was never dropped.
Like the above poster, sounds like the kill switch is on. There is a red light lower right of the instrumentation, this is on when keying on. If the kill switch is engaged , the fuel pump, stick coils and starter are locked out, you need to turn the kill switch off and key off
same as if the vehicle down sensor were engaged. Keying back on, the fuel pump should run for 3 seconds and bike should start.
FYI, not trying to scare you but my 2015 gets about 60 to a maximum of 80 KM when the gauge starts flashing, what I mean by that is that is my tolerance . I will punch in fuel on my GPS if I am in a new area and not sure of distance to fuel, the FYI part is the fuel pump is cooled by fuel, running it below a liter or dry generally equals a new fuel pump, this is fact and a very expensive way to learn. Some of us carry spare fuel and usually I top up above the neck on long distance rides, most of my rides are 350 to 900 KM per day .
52Degrees likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Steve J. Did of course check the kill switch and a few other things that could trip me up like the kickstand and neutral, etc. It makes no noises upon trying to start it and says "no I'm just not going to start" so I'll put in 91 octane this morning and hope she will say yes. I might have to reset the engine light but if all that fails then I'm going to have to take it to someone to get some help. Oddly I don't have a close bike shop so I will have to rent a truck?
Check your fuses.Explain what happens when keying on, besides the engine light.Is this out of warranty and as to octane, 87 is all you need, in fact 91 is harder to ignite.
Smiley likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Dear OneWizard. Thanks. Everything you said makes sense although I think you are implying there is a procedure to "Keying Back On" since I did check that my kill switch was off. So Kill switch off and key off (or key out out of slot?) is what I need to do but that is the procedure to reset the red right light off. Also if this doesn't work and I do need a new fuel pump can you tell me how much I'm in for in a rough sense? Thanks so much. Mark
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Kill Switch

Quote:
Dear OneWizard. Thanks. Everything you said makes sense although I think you are implying there is a procedure to "Keying Back On" since I did check that my kill switch was off. So Kill switch off and key off (or key out out of slot?) is what I need to do but that is the procedure to reset the red right light off. Also if this doesn't work and I do need a new fuel pump can you tell me how much I'm in for in a rough sense? Thanks so much. Mark
Was the rocker for the kill switch forward? If yes then return to the run mode, just with the key off resets everything, key back on and the fuel pump should run for 3 seconds and the bike should start. Kawasaki isn't a smart key, fortunately. If this doesn't work you may need to read the code if the engine malfunction light is on, I forgot to ask that. I think you are talking the red light lower right corner .
If it doesn't run, check your fuse #1 which is 15 amp and does both the ECU and fuel pump, if it is blown, you can then disconnect the fuel pump and replace the fuse, this time it should turn over but not start, hopefully this isn't the case, as you can expect the fuel pump has had the magic smoke escape.

If the pump has failed and a blown fuse would indicate that .49040-0737 at Partzilla is $235 USA, There are aftermarket ,someone on the forum had a link but a search would be needed, also recall the first aftermarket was a dud.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-03-2019 at 12:51 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:02 PM

Regarding a replacement fuel pump, several Concours 14 owners have installed this brand, mostly as a preventative when their bikes get 150 to 200k miles on them. Seems to be a good unit. IIRC, the 14 and Versys use the same pump assembly.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23443...9040-0737.html

That being said, I would concur with looking at the fuses and such first. Get the volt meter out and trace down the circuits to diagnose the issue. Lotsa things it could be, wire shorting to ground blowing the fuse does come to mind but again, lotsa places to look.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Regarding a replacement fuel pump, several Concours 14 owners have installed this brand, mostly as a preventative when their bikes get 150 to 200k miles on them. Seems to be a good unit. IIRC, the 14 and Versys use the same pump assembly.

That being said, I would concur with looking at the fuses and such first. Get the volt meter out and trace down the circuits to diagnose the issue. Lotsa things it could be, wire shorting to ground blowing the fuse does come to mind but again, lotsa places to look.
Thanks, added to the parts suppliers, considerably cheaper. His is a 2017, according to Partzilla , that fuel pump is on all years.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Thanks, added to the parts suppliers, considerably cheaper. His is a 2017, according to Partzilla , that fuel pump is on all years.
Glad to have contributed.

Once out of warranty and over 100k miles, a spare might wind up in my traveling kit. Or preventative replacement and keep the old as a spare.

To digress a bit, the filter is in the bottom of the pump assembly and replacement of that, at least, at 100k miles would seem prudent. I believe the filter kit is also available on that sight somewhere.
quexpress likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

FYI a search on Ebay lists fuel pumps from China for $18.00 +/-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-F...ake%3AKawasaki

... and also fuel pump strainers for less than $10.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-S...ss!12919!US!-1

I don't know if these items are worth trying but they are certainly inexpensive.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
out of gas, red engine, red light, won't start or crank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode