Mototrip from WI to the Badlands - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mototrip from WI to the Badlands

My cousin and I are taking a trip on the bikes to the Badlands the first week of September. I have never been out there before and want to know if I should bring my tent or my hammock. I looked at pictures and there seems to be enough trees in the area, that the campsite should have some to hang a hammock. I am sure many of you have been out there and just want to get your opinion.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I passed thru Bad Lands National park back in May of this year & don't remember seeing many trees. It would probably be best to contact the campground you're planning to stay at...and have access to lots of water.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I passed thru Bad Lands National park back in May of this year & don't remember seeing many trees. It would probably be best to contact the campground you're planning to stay at...and have access to lots of water.

I sent a few campgrounds some emails a few days ago, awaiting a response so I figured I would also ask here.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've been through Badlands National Park many time (never camping since it's just a day ride for me) and there aren't many trees for sure. I'd opt for the tent....it is arid and cools down pretty good at night.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerharz14 View Post
My cousin and I are taking a trip on the bikes to the Badlands the first week of September. I have never been out there before and want to know if I should bring my tent or my hammock. I looked at pictures and there seems to be enough trees in the area, that the campsite should have some to hang a hammock. I am sure many of you have been out there and just want to get your opinion.

Thanks!
I was just there in June, bring a tent, not much for trees in the badlands, there is in the black hills but a tent would still serve you better. I own two Hennessy hammocks and love them but they suit the east coast more with trees everywhere.

If you need a good pad look at the Big Agnes Aircores, super comfortable and packs small. I LOVE mine and it makes the tent far more comfortable. My entire kit fits in one pannier, Kelty Salida 2 (14 inch folded poles fit side case) big Agnes insulated ultra 25x78 (biggest size) Nemo Disco 30 down, Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor bag liner (adds 25 degrees to regular bag or stand alone on warm nights, super compact) and a Kylmit inflatable pillow (tiny). Makes for a very comfy setup that can handle freezing cold or warm nights. The Disco is made for side sleepers and it’s awesome if that’s how you sleep, spoon shaped bag. Tyvek The stuff for sideing houses, makes a great ground cloth as well, just get one cut to your tent footprint. Its cheap.

We had frost on out gear in the Black hills @ June 10th so expect some chilly nights depending on the weather if your up in the hills.

I stayed at Grizzly Creek campground (right by the awesome pigtail twistys so you can make a few passes on those) and in the Badlands at Sage Creek which is a long gravel road to get too.

Last edited by Lee R; 08-01-2019 at 11:04 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I was just there in June, bring a tent, not much for trees in the badlands, there is in the black hills but a tent would still serve you better. I own two Hennessy hammocks and love them but they suit the east coast more with trees everywhere.

If you need a good pad look at the Big Agnes Aircores, super comfortable and packs small. I LOVE mine and it makes the tent far more comfortable. My entire kit fits in one pannier, Kelty Salida 2 (14 inch folded poles fit side case) big Agnes insulated ultra 25x78 (biggest size) Nemo Disco 30 down, Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor bag liner (adds 25 degrees to regular bag or stand alone on warm nights, super compact) and a Kylmit inflatable pillow (tiny). Makes for a very comfy setup that can handle freezing cold or warm nights. The Disco is made for side sleepers and itís awesome if thatís how you sleep, spoon shaped bag. Tyvek The stuff for sideing houses, makes a great ground cloth as well, just get one cut to your tent footprint. Its cheap.

We had frost on out gear in the Black hills @ June 10th so expect some chilly nights depending on the weather if your up in the hills.

I stayed at Grizzly Creek campground (right by the awesome pigtail twistys so you can make a few passes on those) and in the Badlands at Sage Creek which is a long gravel road to get too.
Appreciate the details! I have an REI 2 person tent that came in a package deal with a air pad and a 35 degree bag. I will need to get a liner like you mentioned as that will get me to the perfect temp if needed. How do you pack your tent on the bike? I am thinking of rok strapping it on one of my panniers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerharz14 View Post
Appreciate the details! I have an REI 2 person tent that came in a package deal with a air pad and a 35 degree bag. I will need to get a liner like you mentioned as that will get me to the perfect temp if needed. How do you pack your tent on the bike? I am thinking of rok strapping it on one of my panniers.
The Salida 2 has shorter than average poles, 14” so I remove the pole bag and open the pannier, I place the poles down in the bottom of the outer cover, then the rest above it tucked in that space with the ground cloth under them. I place the bag, liner, pad, pillow on the inside of the case with my tire pump and tire patch kit in the corners. Everything fits perfect in one case. I keep an enduristan duffel for all my clothes and heated gear, I use packing cubes to keep it all organized. My other pannier has a tool roll in the bottom, spare gloves, and any food i bring with stove. I usually keep my down jacket in there because it’s on and off often. (Use that a LOT for temp shifts, it’s not a thick one, packs tiny), also my bike cover is in there and I always keep a pack of baby wipes and lens cleaning clothes for my glasses and visor.

When I get to camp I pop the pannier and grab all the stuff for setup, then my helmet goes in there bug free for the night and I grab a packing cube with spare clothes for the next day. As the cubes empty the stuff is transferred to a laundry bag until I need to do laundry on the long trips. But i wear everything multiple days and don’t do laundry much if it’s cool and I’m not sweating. If it’s hot then more often.

I just did 27 days with that setup and could go indefinitely with it. I’ll probably swap the endurostan out for a Mosko Moto 40L which will fit the bike a bit better since I bought that when I had the Stelvio. Rok straps (4 for redundancy) go through the webbing on it to hold it very securely.

I use 3m protective film (clear) on the hand grab rails and tank to keep the paint from getting worn off on trips and just peal it off at the end.

Last edited by Lee R; 08-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode