Replaced stator, lots of oil - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replaced stator, lots of oil

Had my Versys a month or more and have run into a few instances where, after a decent ride of an hour or more, I stopped to take in a view or whatever. 2 or 3 minutes with the engine off and go to start it..... Click click click... everything goes dead, clock resets. Weird. Bump start, made it home. So, replaced the battery for a start, seems better, but then after a couple of rides the same thing happens. Reading up and found a lot of folks replacing the stator to fix charging issues. Got a replacement from Ricks Motorsports, along with a cover gasket, and tackled it tonight.

Holy engine oil! Probably poured a quart onto my driveway before it slowed to a dribble.

Is this normal??? I only have a side stand, so if that side of the motor is supposed to be wet then it might explain it, but I was certainly not expecting it.

Stator smelled like burned arse, and a couple of the coils look really bad (see pics), so maybe I was onto something. But the oil.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190726_190326_1564194231538.jpg (22.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190726_190345_1564194242872.jpg (25.1 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds about right.
As a warning....pay REAL close attention to the gang plug that came on the aftermarket stator. It is nowhere near as well made as the oem and after a couple thousand miles you may smell plastic burning just before it shorts out. I have mine sitting on my work bench to remind me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
Reading up and found a lot of folks replacing the stator to fix charging issues. Got a replacement from Ricks Motorsports, along with a cover gasket, and tackled it tonight.
Just out of curiosity, how many miles on your bike and what year is it?

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

It's a 2008, 12,500 miles. I did load up the stator connector with dielectric grease before snapping it together so maybe that will help with longevity. The replacement stator doesn't have the same quality feel as the original, but even if I have to replace it every few years it's not the end of the world.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Polaris Regulator

Quote:
It's a 2008, 12,500 miles. I did load up the stator connector with dielectric grease before snapping it together so maybe that will help with longevity. The replacement stator doesn't have the same quality feel as the original, but even if I have to replace it every few years it's not the end of the world.
You want to make a big improvement, install a series regulator. Yes I have a thread on Ricks, you would have been better off getting a china stator and a 4012941 Polaris regulator .And there are several threads about keeping your oil level near the top mark, as it helps to cool the stator.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...connected.html
jpd likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
As stated above the stator is oil cooled, and on the side stand the oil is tipped to the stator side of the case. So a lot of oil will be normal. Be glad you have a Versys, the stator replacement on a Vulcan 750 requires the removal of the engine from the frame. The first time took me 4 hours to get it out. An hour to replace the stator with a Ricks and 4 hours to get it back in. A year and a half later I had to do it all over again. (See OneWisards post.) I cut it down to about 3 hours out and 3 hours in. I didn't know about the operation of a shunt style regulator at the time. I had about 50,000 miles on the Vulcan at the time of the first failure.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Comforting to hear that the oil issue is not actually an issue. With that in mind, what would you guys recommend for a service/maintenance manual for the Versys? Fortunately, I inherited something of a mechanical gene so I'm not a stranger to a decent tool set and some elbow grease.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Comforting to hear that the oil issue is not actually an issue. With that in mind, what would you guys recommend for a service/maintenance manual for the Versys? Fortunately, I inherited something of a mechanical gene so I'm not a stranger to a decent tool set and some elbow grease.
The Versys SERVICE MANUAL would be MY suggestion. I bought one for EACH of my V650s, '08 in AZ, '09 in BC and '15 in BC.

Like onewizard suggested - change out your regulator!

-
onewizard, quexpress and jpd like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

So far, so good, and thanks for the solid answers to my questions!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Shopping for a new stator to install with the Polaris regulator I recently picked up. I see lots of references to Rick's, but there also seems to be confusion between Ricks and Ricky's and RM Stator. Even within some single posts here (not necessarily in this thread but elsewhere), I see Ricky's and Rick's seemingly used interchangably, whether on purpose or not.

So which one is good? I'd prefer a true Delta winding, but I'm not sure if that's available outside of OEM. I also understand that it's not truly necessary with a series-type regulator like the Polaris, but I also tax my bike's electronics more than most.

Last edited by leftbrain99; 08-03-2019 at 12:45 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Last entry under USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
Shopping for a new stator to install with the Polaris regulator I recently picked up. I see lots of references to Rick's, but there also seems to be confusion between Ricks and Ricky's and RM Stator. Even within some single posts here (not necessarily in this thread but elsewhere), I see Ricky's and Rick's seemingly used interchangably, whether on purpose or not.

So which one is good? I'd prefer a true Delta winding, but I'm not sure if that's available outside of OEM. I also understand that it's not truly necessary with a series-type regulator like the Polaris, but I also tax my bike's electronics more than most.
I have them listed twice, last , RM is star wound, so 30% less copper , and single 18 gauge wire out per phase instead of two 18 gauge per phase, max out is roughly 14 amp per phase, so two 18 gauge wires are equal to one 15 gauge , 14 amp on 15 gauge is allowable.Wire gauges double every 3, so two 14 are equal to one 10 gauge.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode