In need of official Kawi fuel consumption publicity and ads - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In need of official Kawi fuel consumption publicity and ads

Hey all,

I have a 2000 km red V with a hungry engine - really bad MPG (32-35) and before anyone says that it has a lot to do with how you drive - I know that - I try to ride super easy

I've tried calling my dealer for answer but he is answer-less and is directing everything to the official rep of Kawasaki here, they are claiming that Kawasaki never advertised any MPG data so there's no problem and they are very reluctant to assist in anyway - meanwhile, I'm stuck with the bill (the bike is my daily commuter).

I'm looking for some ads or any Kawasaki's official stuff that shows how the V is supposed to run in terms of fuel consumption. I have a link to Kawasaki's american web site with the number 48MPG but would very much like to find more and any European Kawasaki publicity\ ads - we get the euro models over here .

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...?scid=6&id=720

Thank you so much for your help.

Ps. I have started a threat about technical advice here :
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21886
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
MTS

I am sure you have had all the stuff thrown at you, but let me tell you this.

Bought a new Honda CRV. The mpg was less then tagged. Every ten thousand miles I put on the it the better mpg I'm getting.

The down side... I'm finally getting the mpg I should have got off the lot.

The upside... These cars are just broke in at 100k and they are getting 300k out of them.

So maybe it will take 6k-10k to fully break in for best mpg. You also might get 120k out of your bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

You might take it to a qualified shop that can do a full Motorcycle Dynamo meter test ($54 at my shop). That much difference in fuel consumption would show up in Exhaust Gas analysis.
probably low quality fuel or a out of wack TB control (ECU?)

$ 54 at my shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibonneau View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2000 km red V with a hungry engine - really bad MPG (32-35) and before anyone says that it has a lot to do with how you drive - I know that - I try to ride super easy

I've tried calling my dealer for answer but he is answer-less and is directing everything to the official rep of Kawasaki here, they are claiming that Kawasaki never advertised any MPG data so there's no problem and they are very reluctant to assist in anyway - meanwhile, I'm stuck with the bill (the bike is my daily co.

mmuter).

I'm looking for some ads or any Kawasaki's official stuff that shows how the V is supposed to run in terms of fuel consumption. I have a link to Kawasaki's american web site with the number 48MPG but would very much like to find more and any European Kawasaki publicity\ ads - we get the euro models over here .

Last edited by Seeya; 02-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Your experience is not unusual. My versys gets terrible mileage...similar to yours. My bike runs well and is completely stock. I tend to keep the motor wound around 4-6 k and I never short-shift. I weigh 190lbs give or take. Your riding style may be different but remember lower RPM's don't necessarily mean more effecincy or less stress. The dyno (as Seeya suggests) would tell you whats going on.

I'm no diplomat
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM

OH...what is your altitude?

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Mpg

I have an 08 v. It consistantly get 53 MPG. Bought used so don,t know if MPG was bad new.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My '08 gave pretty good mileage from new (can't remember EXACTLY, tho'...), and now is usually around 53 to 56 mpgUS, at 41,000 miles.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Yamadog - I'm at about sea level going up to 800m.

I'm not sure where I can find a Dyno in Israel (we just legalized racing so it might take a few years before all the gear comes up to speed with that).

any one has any suggestions about what to check - mechanicaly
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
I tend to keep the motor wound around 4-6 k and I never short-shift. Your riding style may be different but remember lower RPM's don't necessarily mean more effecincy or less stress.
I can honestly say that revving the engine higher will reduce your MPG. Someone who really practices what Yamadog does will not see the MPG that people like fasteddiecopeman get.

Saying that, I do not get good mileage during the winter. I get really good mileage during the warmer season when I am not riding at interstate speeds.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibonneau View Post
Hey all,

I've tried calling my dealer for answer but he is answer-less and is directing everything to the official rep of Kawasaki here, they are claiming that Kawasaki never advertised any MPG data so there's no problem and they are very reluctant to assist in anyway - meanwhile, I'm stuck with the bill (the bike is my daily commuter).

What year is it? Also check threads by Invader about throttle position and vacuum hose mods. I had changed my vacuum hose to a version #2, my fuel mileage was terrible and I found that while engine braking I was dumping fuel out the exhaust, changed it back to original and adjusted TPS and idle, I get 54 to 59 MPG and I am over 200 LBS, my rides are highway were I reach 140 KM/hr and hills of 50m, BTW it is a 07.I bought it used with less than 10km, so I did the break in, been consistently getting above 45MPG since new, and seems to be getting 2 to 3 mpg better since I use Lucas upper cylinder lube/ fuel conditioner.

The other factor that could affect mileage is your chain, make sure it isn't too tight, and since there are many that swear by WD40, I use Dupont Chain saver.The chain can drop your mileage 10 MPG, however, eventually you will have chain failure.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-10-2013 at 10:25 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM

The fuel you are getting can vary the mileage. Don't forget , gasoline isn't really standard throughout the world.here in the USA there are various levels of alcohol added, in other countries there can be more light fractions added to control everything from octane to fast starting. You would also need to see through analysis of the exhaust gas how its truly running.Temperature can affect MPG , there's a million variables in truth.I have never seen any motorcycle have a advertised mileage ,from any manufacturer. they do not have to meet any mileage standards here ,so its not advertised here (USA) I do not know of any such standards in any of the major markets worldwide for motorcycles.

AMA EAA STN
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM

2000km is still pretty new...I'd wait at least 10000km to really get an idea of the mpg it will be getting. The newer the bike the more friction between parts in the engine. Same applies to new cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode