Versys like a furnace - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys like a furnace

Just bought my '08 a month or so ago, and wow this thing really throws out some heat! Sure, New England is toasty this time of year, but is it normal for this motor to get (to my mind) sooo hot?
The fan and thermostat seem to work fine,and cycle on/off regularly, perhaps every minute or so when the bike is stationary.

Ta!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have a similar model and live in a tropical country where everyday temp is around 34~34C and riding this bike with full gear , i don't feel its a furnace , hot maybe when stationary for more than 1 minutes as the bike get hot-refer user manual by Kawasaki, the bike overheats if stationary for more than 1 minute. just for reference , bike riding temp is around [email protected] when stationary the bike reaches 102c when the fan kick in.
onewizard likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
Just bought my '08 a month or so ago, and wow this thing really throws out some heat! Sure, New England is toasty this time of year, but is it normal for this motor to get (to my mind) sooo hot?
The fan and thermostat seem to work fine,and cycle on/off regularly, perhaps every minute or so when the bike is stationary.

Ta!
Haven't had any problems w/ my '08 (in AZ), or my '15 in the Okanagan Valley, BC (which is desert TOO!).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:40 PM

Once ambient temps climb over 80F or so, I tend to feel the heat dump on my right leg when the thermostat on my Versys opens and circulates the heated coolant through the radiator. Especially if I'm wearing mesh pants. It was the same way on a SV650S I had which was partially faired like the Versys. I feel no extra heat at all when I ride my R3 which is fully faired. As for sitting in traffic in summer in Texas in full gear (mesh or not), it's just plain hot.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am thinking it is partially what you are used to in the northeast (cooler temps) and partially just being a new to you bike. When at a standstill here in Tucson, I do indeed feel the heat rising to me, although not in any one spot. Stoplights are the worst. In summer when I plan a ride route, I plan it with the number of stoplights as main factor and let the miles be damned. My most traveled route (a trip to a donut shop in a distant city) is 16 stoplights one route and 9 the other. Like I said, I don't even know the mileage difference because I don't care. Hang in there, you will appreciate the extra heat in a couple months.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I find the lack of heat on the '15 650 a refreshing change from my previous bike, a '99 Concours. And be really glad you don't have a Harley.

I rode the Devil's Highway in AZ a few days ago. The elevation on the bottom end is only about 3400' it was somewhere around 100 degrees. It was hot enough that closing the face shield was significantly cooler than having it open. I was wearing an evaporating vest which helped immensely to keep my body core temperature under control.

That highway is one awesome ride, BTW. Full of twisties and extremely light traffic. Stopped a half hour for lunch at a wayside and not one vehicle went by. Totally. Awesome. Road.
hawkerjet likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

😎 It could very well be that the sauna is perfectly normal, and that I just wasn't expecting it. Certainly those traffic lights get interesting in full garb, could be worse though, at least I don't have to shovel this stuff!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:28 AM
jpd

Garage
I use a mesh jacket but wear Kevlar riding pants and boots. The heat from a water cooled bike dumps out at my feet and lower leg. The full coverage helps to insulate my leg from that heat. The fan moves it out the right side of the fairing and if the wind is coming from the right rear it can push that heat back in to you and bake you. I had my right boot dry out and crack on the top of the foot while the left one was in good condition. I don't notice the heat while moving, I get move heat from the sun than the bike.

As long as the fan is cycling on and off while stopped it sounds like it is working correctly.

Jeff

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Do you have crash bars? I noticed more heat after crash bars installed on mine.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I find the lack of heat on the '15 650 a refreshing change from my previous bike, a '99 Concours. And be really glad you don't have a Harley.
You got that right Steve. I owned a 2012 Connie 14 which had all the improved fairing for a cooler ride, but I did ride a 2009 and that sucker would cook your right leg.

My KTM 1190 Adventure would cook both your inner thighs and your butt too.

little V-650 is the coolest bike I have owned...literally.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

I rode the Devil's Highway in AZ a few days ago. The elevation on the bottom end is only about 3400' it was somewhere around 100 degrees. It was hot enough that closing the face shield was significantly cooler than having it open. I was wearing an evaporating vest which helped immensely to keep my body core temperature under control.

That highway is one awesome ride, BTW. Full of twisties and extremely light traffic. Stopped a half hour for lunch at a wayside and not one vehicle went by. Totally. Awesome. Road.
Why is that Steve? Your Harley was hot? Which model did you have?

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have always felt more heat on the tops of my legs from the sun than I have from my bikes.

Since none of my current bikes have fans I don't have to worry about hot air being blown on my while stopped. Of course I avoid stopping as much as I possibly can.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:30 PM

Garage
Meeting emissions is the biggest cause for heat because everything has to run so lean.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:42 PM

^^^ This.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:29 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibster View Post
Meeting emissions is the biggest cause for heat because everything has to run so lean.

All the more reason to get the Shodabeen flash!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
Just bought my '08 a month or so ago, and wow this thing really throws out some heat!
I have the same experience with my '16 Versys 650. When the temps get into the 90's and beyond, the heat is really noticeable on my thighs.

The biggest reason for this I'm sure is that it is not a fully faired bike. Also, if I wore non-mesh motorcycle pants rather than jeans, I'd probably not feel it very much at all(?). I've got MC pants but I have trouble wearing them over 80 degrees.

The majority of my bikes over the last 20 years have been fully faired sport-tourers. Never had to worry much about engine heat.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
My 08 probably puts out less heat than any of the bikes I have owned, yet in this Texas heat, my thighs still get pretty toasty. It's just part of motorcycling.
Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
...yet in this Texas heat, my thighs still get pretty toasty....
Ride faster...? For more airflow past your thighs....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode