Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys like a furnace

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
Just bought my '08 a month or so ago, and wow this thing really throws out some heat! Sure, New England is toasty this time of year, but is it normal for this motor to get (to my mind) sooo hot?
The fan and thermostat seem to work fine,and cycle on/off regularly, perhaps every minute or so when the bike is stationary.

Ta!

#2 ·
Have a similar model and live in a tropical country where everyday temp is around 34~34C and riding this bike with full gear , i don't feel its a furnace , hot maybe when stationary for more than 1 minutes as the bike get hot-refer user manual by Kawasaki, the bike overheats if stationary for more than 1 minute. just for reference , bike riding temp is around 75c@120km. when stationary the bike reaches 102c when the fan kick in.

#4 ·
Once ambient temps climb over 80F or so, I tend to feel the heat dump on my right leg when the thermostat on my Versys opens and circulates the heated coolant through the radiator. Especially if I'm wearing mesh pants. It was the same way on a SV650S I had which was partially faired like the Versys. I feel no extra heat at all when I ride my R3 which is fully faired. As for sitting in traffic in summer in Texas in full gear (mesh or not), it's just plain hot.

#5 ·
I am thinking it is partially what you are used to in the northeast (cooler temps) and partially just being a new to you bike. When at a standstill here in Tucson, I do indeed feel the heat rising to me, although not in any one spot. Stoplights are the worst. In summer when I plan a ride route, I plan it with the number of stoplights as main factor and let the miles be damned. My most traveled route (a trip to a donut shop in a distant city) is 16 stoplights one route and 9 the other. Like I said, I don't even know the mileage difference because I don't care. Hang in there, you will appreciate the extra heat in a couple months.

#6 ·
I find the lack of heat on the '15 650 a refreshing change from my previous bike, a '99 Concours. And be really glad you don't have a Harley.

I rode the Devil's Highway in AZ a few days ago. The elevation on the bottom end is only about 3400' it was somewhere around 100 degrees. It was hot enough that closing the face shield was significantly cooler than having it open. I was wearing an evaporating vest which helped immensely to keep my body core temperature under control.

That highway is one awesome ride, BTW. Full of twisties and extremely light traffic. Stopped a half hour for lunch at a wayside and not one vehicle went by. Totally. Awesome. Road.

Reactions: hawkerjet
#10 ·
I find the lack of heat on the '15 650 a refreshing change from my previous bike, a '99 Concours. And be really glad you don't have a Harley.
You got that right Steve. I owned a 2012 Connie 14 which had all the improved fairing for a cooler ride, but I did ride a 2009 and that sucker would cook your right leg.

My KTM 1190 Adventure would cook both your inner thighs and your butt too.

little V-650 is the coolest bike I have owned...literally.

#8 ·
I use a mesh jacket but wear Kevlar riding pants and boots. The heat from a water cooled bike dumps out at my feet and lower leg. The full coverage helps to insulate my leg from that heat. The fan moves it out the right side of the fairing and if the wind is coming from the right rear it can push that heat back in to you and bake you. I had my right boot dry out and crack on the top of the foot while the left one was in good condition. I don't notice the heat while moving, I get move heat from the sun than the bike.

As long as the fan is cycling on and off while stopped it sounds like it is working correctly.

#16 ·
Just bought my '08 a month or so ago, and wow this thing really throws out some heat!
I have the same experience with my '16 Versys 650. When the temps get into the 90's and beyond, the heat is really noticeable on my thighs.

The biggest reason for this I'm sure is that it is not a fully faired bike. Also, if I wore non-mesh motorcycle pants rather than jeans, I'd probably not feel it very much at all(?). I've got MC pants but I have trouble wearing them over 80 degrees.

The majority of my bikes over the last 20 years have been fully faired sport-tourers. Never had to worry much about engine heat.

#17 ·
My 08 probably puts out less heat than any of the bikes I have owned, yet in this Texas heat, my thighs still get pretty toasty. It's just part of motorcycling.
Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.