What is your most comfortable hwy cruising speed? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Around 65 mph for me. More than that, the windshield (with wind deflected) start shaking like crazy. Both on the highest settings.

Of course the occasional blast above that is always fun 😄.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 AM

Reading through this thread is adding to my suspicion that I am riding this bike wrong. I'm starting to think that I'm a gear higher than I should be, basically all of the time. I'm still new to riding (after a 25 year layoff), and I tend to ride like a really, really, really old man; I'm generally at around 3,000 rpms. Should I work on keeping it in a lower gear longer? Is it better to not have to downshift to accelerate quickly? Is my gas mileage going to tank (even more than commuting is already tanking my gas mileage) if I start keeping it between 4 and 5,000 rpms??
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
Reading through this thread is adding to my suspicion that I am riding this bike wrong. I'm starting to think that I'm a gear higher than I should be, basically all of the time. I'm still new to riding (after a 25 year layoff), and I tend to ride like a really, really, really old man; I'm generally at around 3,000 rpms. Should I work on keeping it in a lower gear longer? Is it better to not have to downshift to accelerate quickly? Is my gas mileage going to tank (even more than commuting is already tanking my gas mileage) if I start keeping it between 4 and 5,000 rpms??
There's nothing wrong with loafing at 3000 rpm or even less. On downhill glides I am frequently at 2000 rpm and the throttle closed or just barely cracked. But the engine seems to really prefer higher rpms if it is being pushed.

Around town, say 25 to 45 mph, without traffic I tend to stay below 4000 rpm. If there is traffic then I will accelerate to about 5000 rpm then shift up. That puts me at about 4000 rpm in the new gear. Getting onto the highway I shift closer to 6000 rpm though I don't look at the tach so I can't say for sure.

If the engine is stumbling, lugging, or just not responding nicely then you are in the wrong gear. That is pretty much how I look at it.

Fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer anywhere in the under 5000 rpm range. Remember this is a 2 cylinder engine, not a 4 or 8. So the rpms are "effectively" half compared to a 4 cylinder. Driving around at 1500 rpm in a 4 cylinder car doesn't work too well if you want to accelerate, and that is comparable to riding your V at 3000 rpm.
rsherman likes this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty much in agreement w/ "Fly-Sig" - I don't 'zing' around at high rpms, and usually ride in 6th gear, w/ downshifts as required.

NEVER felt that my Versys' "performance" was/is sub-standard....

rsherman likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty much in agreement w/ "Fly-Sig" - I don't 'zing' around at high rpms, and usually ride in 6th gear, w/ downshifts as required.

NEVER felt that my Versys' "performance" was/is sub-standard... and THAT is over the 165,000 MILES I've ridden my THREE V650s...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

NEVER felt that my Versys' "performance" was/is sub-standard... and THAT is over the 165,000 MILES I've ridden my THREE V650s...!

I do tend to keep my rpms a bit higher that 3k. My thinking is if I need to accelerate out of trouble, I want to be able to accelerate.

When hitting the twisties I like to keep it between 5 and 8k. I was told by an instructor that the higher rpms gave the bike more stability in the corners as the higher gyroscopic forces from the engine spinning faster had a stabilizing effect. I know it's a lot more fun charging out of a corner at 6k than 3k. The rear tire that I'm fixing to replace next week has more tread in the center than the cornering area and I'm heading into WV and the Carolinas in a week or so. And there is no chicken strip left. Yee. Haw.

I had me some fun on that Devil's Highway in AZ.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Answering the title of the thread, 55 mph is most comfortable. As speeds increase above that I can't really take in the scenery and become much more focused on the road and what is coming up.

I try and look several vehicles ahead and anticipate what might happen.

Out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming I ran sustained triple digits without a hiccup from the '11 Versys and it had the tall touring with adjustable extension on it. Of course the 2nd gen is less a wall in the wind than the 3rd gen
It's funny you would write that. I just came back from a long road trip and hit some high winds along with bad weather and was so happy I was on my Versys (Gen 3) and not my Interceptor (Gen 6) as the Versys, even with luggage, is so easy to handle in heavy winds and swirling air from the back of large rigs. I recall test riding a Gen 1 Versys years ago and part of the route was along an interstate with strong wind and I was amazed at how well it tracked. I've been on a Gen 2 but never in bad weather. My Interceptor is just the worst, it must be all the plastic on the bike, my old Ninja 650 was similar in high wind conditions.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
There's nothing wrong with loafing at 3000 rpm or even less. On downhill glides I am frequently at 2000 rpm and the throttle closed or just barely cracked. But the engine seems to really prefer higher rpms if it is being pushed.

Around town, say 25 to 45 mph, without traffic I tend to stay below 4000 rpm. If there is traffic then I will accelerate to about 5000 rpm then shift up. That puts me at about 4000 rpm in the new gear. Getting onto the highway I shift closer to 6000 rpm though I don't look at the tach so I can't say for sure.

If the engine is stumbling, lugging, or just not responding nicely then you are in the wrong gear. That is pretty much how I look at it.

Fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer anywhere in the under 5000 rpm range. Remember this is a 2 cylinder engine, not a 4 or 8. So the rpms are "effectively" half compared to a 4 cylinder. Driving around at 1500 rpm in a 4 cylinder car doesn't work too well if you want to accelerate, and that is comparable to riding your V at 3000 rpm.

Yeah, I think "stumbling and lugging" is something that I allow to happen too often - a habit that I've now actively started trying to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Haha - I don't feel I need any more power than I have right now.

Wait - scratch that. I do want all the power that the Versys is supposed to have, and since I'm on an "L" plate, here in Australia, the version of Versys that I'm allowed to have is restricted to 3/4 of the throttle. Supposedly I have access to most of, if not all of the power that an unrestricted Versys would have, but it'll take longer for me to access it. That will surely lead to me selling this bike fairly soon after I get my unrestricted license (in about a year).

I don't really even need the extra power. But I want it. ;-)

Anyways, I digress. In my case, the rider is without question the limiter in performance. I have a lot of technique to build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I do tend to keep my rpms a bit higher that 3k. My thinking is if I need to accelerate out of trouble, I want to be able to accelerate.

When hitting the twisties I like to keep it between 5 and 8k. I was told by an instructor that the higher rpms gave the bike more stability in the corners as the higher gyroscopic forces from the engine spinning faster had a stabilizing effect. I know it's a lot more fun charging out of a corner at 6k than 3k. The rear tire that I'm fixing to replace next week has more tread in the center than the cornering area and I'm heading into WV and the Carolinas in a week or so. And there is no chicken strip left. Yee. Haw.

I had me some fun on that Devil's Highway in AZ.
I rode my first real set of twisties, last week. Going up and down some fairly steep hills. I felt completely out of my element, and was not going very fast. I can't wait until this stuff is fun to me, and not just intimidating.

Thanks for your knowledge, guys - I really appreciate it.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

wow, exact same thing with me.....my fingers on right hand too like 2 weeks for me to get them back after 500+ mile trip once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode