Engine misfire at idle - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry Engine misfire at idle

G'day,

I've noticed lately the engine seems to cut out during idle??? I had a dealer top end re-build, de carbon, new vales & piston rings late last year. Iridium plugs are less than 2 years old + new stick coils. I serviced the air cleaner recently & checked the spark plug gap - all within spec. Idle speed is around 11,13000 & the misfire happens when the bike is hot. Running is fine, still goes like a rocket! Any ideas???

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-20-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Rave View Post
... Iridium plugs are less than 2 years old + new stick coils. I serviced the air cleaner recently & checked the spark plug gap - all within spec. Idle speed is around 11,13000 & the misfire happens when the bike is hot. Running is fine, still goes like a rocket! Any ideas???
How many MILES on your plugs? Just because they LOOK good and the gap is correct, doesn't mean that they ARE good. I assume your idle speed is 1,300rpm...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
G'day,

I've noticed lately the engine seems to cut out during idle??? I had a dealer top end re-build, de carbon, new vales & piston rings late last year. Iridium plugs are less than 2 years old + new stick coils. I serviced the air cleaner recently & checked the spark plug gap - all within spec. Idle speed is around 11,13000 & the misfire happens when the bike is hot. Running is fine, still goes like a rocket! Any ideas???
Sounds like a possible TPS not set correctly, once off fast idle is off, if not set correctly it will lean out. Also if a sensor on the air box isn't plugged in it will do similar.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How many kms since the top end rebuild of two years ago? Your valve lash clearances should now be measured and adjusted, along with new spark plugs and a throttle body vacuum synchronization (done at 1,300 rpm idle). A compression check while you're in there could confirm that the rings are well seated and the new valves not leaking.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Invader,

9,000klms since the re-build & 11,00klms on the plugs. Is the valve lash & compression check really necessary??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

One Wizard,
TPS - that's out of my back yard capabilities I think! I have a booster plug fitted to try and smooth out the super lumpy low speed performance (only marginally successful I have to say).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Invader,

9,000klms since the re-build & 11,00klms on the plugs. Is the valve lash & compression check really necessary??
The symptoms you provided could very well indicate valves that are too tight. Like Invader said, the compression check would be more of a peace of mind thing but also could provide diagnostic help.

I would check the valves before taking it somewhere to chase after electrics, adjusting the valves is part of a "tune up" and critical for other diagnostic work. It's kinda the first order of business in this case.

The mileage since rebuild would seem to be a bit low for "too tight valves" but you do have to rule it out and who knows if they were set properly in the first place. Do you have a shim map form the rebuild indicating what clearances the valves were set at?

Edit to add: And as long as you are in there, do replace the spark plugs.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
One Wizard,
TPS - that's out of my back yard capabilities I think! I have a booster plug fitted to try and smooth out the super lumpy low speed performance (only marginally successful I have to say).
The booster plug adjust fuel by fooling air temperature. In actual fact your bike is a MK-2, that TPS setting is very important , several have done the vacuum hose link, I found it to be dumping excessive fuel while engine braking and went back to the original vacuum line. Invader is the one who first posted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode