• 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By vaulter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Question First oil change

It's about time for my first oil change on my 2018 650. How many of you do your own oil changes? I feel like it's not too hard to do and there aren't many dealerships near me that do oil changes that also work with my schedule. Because of those reasons, I'm thinking of doing it myself. Any tips from the professionals on here? I've looked at some videos with mixed thoughts so I was hoping for some good advice. Gotta take care of Chewbika!
Smiley likes this.

Shaka Brah!!

"Rumor has it that it was a Kawasaki Versys that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbakeman0971 View Post
It's about time for my first oil change on my 2018 650. How many of you do your own oil changes? I feel like it's not too hard to do and there aren't many dealerships near me that do oil changes that also work with my schedule. Because of those reasons, I'm thinking of doing it myself. Any tips from the professionals on here? I've looked at some videos with mixed thoughts so I was hoping for some good advice. Gotta take care of Chewbika!
I can't provide any useful information here, other than I will use a video to help walk me through my first DIY oil change. What I really wanted to do is give you HUGE props for your bike's name. That's? Awesome.
Bbakeman0971 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 AM

How handy are you with tools? If you are the least bit accustomed to working with tools, changing the oil is a very easy job. (I know people who don't know which end of a screwdriver to use)

Put very simply:

1) take off the two plastic covers that surround the oil filter
2) Remove the drain plug and let the oil drain into a pan
3) Remove the filter, install the new one. (tighten only by hand...don't use a wrench)
4) Put new oil in, using the oil window on the side of the bike
5) put the two plastic covers back on.

Most motorcycle oil changes are the same. Get on youtube and watch a few. Here's one I found for the Versys 650

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM

What is your experience level with wrenching?

Its very easy with the proper tools, space, and info. Some cheap Walmart towels and aluminum foil (on exhaust pipes) will help contain the mess. I also use a $0.98 measuring cup to measure oil going back into the bike. If you plan to keep changing the oil yourself, consider a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug, it will make future changes extra easy and less messy.

Only thing you could really get wrong is over-torquing the drain plug. Go for it! Its a great way to control your ownership costs and get to know the bike.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the video. I didn't find that one. I'm pretty handy with tools so I'm not scared. Just never did an oil change on a motorcycle before. Good tip about the foil on the exhaust. I think my biggest concern is over servicing with oil because I don't have one of those lifts to take the rear wheel off the floor. Did that make a difference for any of you? Also, did any of you prime the filter first or just put the oil straight to the tank?

Shaka Brah!!

"Rumor has it that it was a Kawasaki Versys that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:46 AM

Put in a little less oil than you think you will need. Then check the level in the oil window. Then keep adding small amounts (checking after each addition) to bring the oil to the correct level.

You don't need a center stand. My drain plug is on the left side of the bike. Opposite of what's in the video. When the bike is on the side stand, it naturally drains well. I didn't have to wiggle the bike back and forth like in the video. I didn't prime my filter.
Bbakeman0971 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
...I was hoping for some good advice.
Don't forget to add fresh oil before starting the engine. Yes, I did that once.
Bbakeman0971 likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
...3) Remove the filter, install the new one. (tighten only by hand...don't use a wrench)....
I use filters that have written on them: Put oil onto the rubber gasket, then tighten till it contacts the engine, then an additional ONE turn to tighten.

I use a filter wrench for that additional turn.

Quote:
...Did that make a difference for any of you? Also, did any of you prime the filter first or just put the oil straight to the tank?
I've drained oil on the side-stand, AND on a pit-stand, and I ALWAYS pre-fill the filter to about half-full.

Bbakeman0971 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Run or idle your bike for couple minutes before changing oil. It will help to drain it better
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...I've drained oil on the side-stand, AND on a pit-stand, and I ALWAYS pre-fill the filter to about half-full.

BTW - I ALWAYS anneal the copper washer before replacing the drain-bolt, properly torqued!

-
Bbakeman0971 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
How many of you do your own oil changes?
The vast majority of us! Very easy, should not take more than 30 minutes
Bbakeman0971 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode