Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Oil change

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  17A 
#1 ·
How much oil are you putting in with a filter change. In the manual one area says 1.9 quarts then in another part of the manual it says 2.4 quarts

#3 ·
(who would change the oil and not change the filter??)
I resemble that remark. I sometimes change the oil early if I'm planning a longer trip, say at 4000 km. I drain the filter and use it again. Filters are good for much longer than we give credit for. Why throw away money and create more waste?

Most owners are changing the oil well under the recommended intervals of 12000 km/7500 miles anyway. Modern oil holds up extremely well and a good quality filter is easily capable of lasting 12000 km.

Mostly it's a feel-good thing. We perceive darkened oil as dirty oil when, in fact, it is not necessarily true.

#4 ·
Hey Smiley, never though of that. I guess filters are so darn cheap compared with the cost of the motor they are going on, I never gave it a second thought. I use Wix filters on all my vehicles. Come to think of it, the oil is pretty cheap too when you look at the overall price of what you are getting in return. To each his own :)
Second thought (you have my brain working this morning!), why drain the filter if you are going to put it on again? I think it would be highly unlikely anything would come out by way of cleaning it. And if it did, that would mean it should be replaced, the micro bits of metal and impurities would never come out of the filter element being embedded in it for so many thousands of miles.
Thanks for the info. Happy riding!

#6 · (Edited)
I always use 2 quarts. When I check it in the in the sight window it is right between the lines.

The V-650 is a bit tricky to check the oil in the sight glass. Make sure the bike is on level ground and upright, not on the side stand.

If you check it with the rear on a paddock stand (rear wheel slightly elevated) you will get low reading. Also if it is leaning to one side or the other it will skew your result.

#7 ·
The manual states 1.8 liters when the oil filter is changed. Less than 2 liters is not much. My previous bikes had 4 liters or more.

Compared to engine components, etc. oil and filters are inexpensive.
I therefore like to change oil and filter at every 8000 km or less.
Note: I fill to the top line on the sight glass. More oil = better cooling, etc... :)

Reactions: jaaklucas
#8 ·
Compared to engine components, etc. oil and filters are inexpensive.
I, therefore, like to change oil and filter at every 8000 km or less.
Note: I fill to the top line on the sight glass. More oil = better cooling, etc... :)
8000 km is reasonable. I also fill to near the top of the glass.

As for cheap, it's all relative. At around $27 for oil, filter and HST I don't consider that cheap. But maybe it's me that is cheap, or as I prefer, frugal.:wink2:

#12 · (Edited)
Although specifications haven't changed, 2015 and up Versys 650's have a lower profile oil pan with the drain on the side instead... 2015+ models actually hold about 100 ml (~0.1 US quart) or 1/10 liter less.

After a good long thorough drain and filter change, my 2007 takes about 2.2 quarts to refill.

2007-2014
1.6 L (1.7 US qt) - filter NOT removed
1.8 L (1.9 US qt) - filter removed
2.3 L (2.4 US qt) - DRY engine.

2015+
1.5 L (1.6 US qt) - filter NOT removed
1.7 L (1.8 US qt) - filter removed
2.2 L (2.3 US qt) - DRY engine.

#13 ·
This was discussed way back in the Gen 1 days and as i remember, oils change with or without filter change, oils was supposed to be topped up just above the center line of the oil level indicator.

That,s about 2 liters plus , and at 1.7 or 1,6 its a bit on the lower side. I have practice this method over the years on my Gen and no problem so far. I drop oil very 5k Km or 3 months which ever come first due to running the bike in a tropical country where normal temperature is around 32C and sometime 37C.

#14 ·
This was discussed way back in the Gen 1 days and as i remember, oils change with or without filter change, oils was supposed to be topped up just above the center line of the oil level indicator.
Oil is added to be equal to the highest oil level indicator line because the extra oil helps cool the stator.

Reactions: Fastoman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.