• 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By Bbakeman0971
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SouthernCruizer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
WABDR practice ride

Did my first off-road ride on my '18 650 LT today up at Lake Cushman in Western Washington. First off-road ever, actually. It was such an awesome time. Such a great all-around bike. Got a little stuck in an uphill climb area with some big stones but fortunately didn't drop her. Made me wish I had bigger wheels like my buddy on his BMW 1200 though. Nice bike but way out of my price range and I like the idea of being able to accessorize with what I want. All of this is practice for the WABDR (https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/). I'm wondering if anyone has ridden some or all of that route on the Versys and if the bike held up to the challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chewbika.jpg (17.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Two riders.jpg (22.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Lake Cushman.jpg (13.6 KB, 25 views)

Shaka Brah!!

"Rumor has it that it was a Kawasaki Versys that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Nice ride and thanks for sharing. By the way, the versys has done some awesome ride crossing continents without any problem. We had a member who spend close to 3 years on the Versys in South America and I personally know riders back home here who have done Malaysia to Mid East.
Bbakeman0971 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbakeman0971 View Post
Did my first off-road ride on my '18 650 LT today up at Lake Cushman in Western Washington. Made me wish I had bigger wheels like my buddy on his BMW 1200 though.
Try some tires with a more off road oriented tread. This will make your off road ventures much more enjoyable.
Craigar likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I mounted Pirelli MT 60's. They're a good looking tire and did really well. The road noise on the highway is a bit loud but I kind of like it. My only thought is that the tread could be slightly further apart for some additional grip. My experience played a big role, too. I need to do better with some clutch/throttle play when I'm going up the hill. I love the opportunity for practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pirellis.jpg (36.7 KB, 9 views)
hawkerjet likes this.

Shaka Brah!!

"Rumor has it that it was a Kawasaki Versys that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...All of this is practice for the WABDR. I'm wondering if anyone has ridden some or all of that route on the Versys and if the bike held up to the challenge....
I rode part of the AZBDR which is the TOUGHEST BDR I'm told, as well as the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik, and several buddies rode the GDR (Great Divide Ride) from the Canadian Border to Mexico w/ NO great problems. AND, IMHO - the knobbies I installed rather than run the Metzler Tourance tires were NOT necessary.

These are Metzlers on this V650.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA270871copy.jpg (389.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg PA270872copy.jpg (413.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PA290920copy.jpg (337.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PA290922copy.jpg (303.8 KB, 6 views)
Bbakeman0971 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thw AZBDR looks like an awesome ride. My Pirelli's got a little squirrely in some of the heavier gravel but it was all controllable. The picture of just the road has a lot less of the large gravel I experienced on the hill climb I talked about. I can't imagine that the WABDR will be that bad either except for in some spots. Pretty sure that experience, a well-tuned bike, a having a great riding buddy will be the difference makers.

Shaka Brah!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:28 PM

My son has a V650...these are a few pics from his Texas Hill Country Ride back in April '19...he put some dual sport tires, but it had a hard time keeping up with the KLR, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0(14) (1).jpg (108.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0(15) (1).jpg (91.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0(16) (1).jpg (79.2 KB, 14 views)
Bbakeman0971 likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The AZBDR looks like an awesome ride. My Pirelli's got a little squirrely in some of the heavier gravel but it was all controllable. The picture of just the road has a lot less of the large gravel I experienced on the hill climb I talked about....
I BAILED from the AZBDR just a short distance from where I took that pic - because I figured it was getting TOO dangerous - there were MANY rocks sticking up as far as 12" - so IF I went down either I or the bike would get serious damage!!! I was NOT about to try to take a pic while in THAT stuff...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
My son has a V650...these are a few pics from his Texas Hill Country Ride back in April '19...he put some dual sport tires, but it had a hard time keeping up with the KLR, etc.
I'd blame his tires: except for fording that stream, IMHO he needed knobbies.

I work VERY hard at avoiding soft sand - I'm TOO OLD for that stuff.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode