• 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 2 Post By Shibumik
  • 2 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By Shibumik
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Total Mass...aka Weight

Jets need to be weighed periodically. So how does one weigh a 150,000 pound jet?

Ah yea a bathroom scale will not cut it, so there are commercial scales that fit under the landing gear to accomplish the task. Position the scale under each gear strut and note the reading. Then add all 3 together and presto you have the weight of the jet.

A guy can do the same thing with your motorcycle and in many cases you can use the bathroom scale.

I just weighed my 2015 Versys 650. First I installed a paddock stand on each end to get the wheels off the ground then slide the scale under the wheel and drop the bike down unto the scale. Do each wheel and record the weight readings.

My rear was 235 lbs and the front was 218 lbs. Combine the two and the weight of the green machine is right at 453 lbs. I have about 2 gallons of gas in the tank.

Also if you were wondering about the weight bias/balance of your machine this method will tell you which wheel supports the most static weight.
Fastoman, Duffy, Shibumik and 1 others like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:12 PM

Garage
Good job. Now, do as your doctor says and quit jacking up your back. Lol.
Fastoman, hawkerjet and Shibumik like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:02 PM

i have a truck scale on the farm Ezeey Peezy.
hawkerjet likes this.

Smooth is fast.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I have 60 ton weighbridge at work , so just drive in and get the weight.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Total Mass vs Weight

Tim - being an ATP holder, I'm surprised that you got MASS and WEIGHT confused.

In science and engineering, the WEIGHT of an object is related to the amount of force acting on the object, either due to gravity or to a reaction force that holds it in place, while MASS is both a property of a physical body and a measure of its resistance to acceleration (a change in its state of motion) when a net force is applied.

Even tho' I KNOW that there's a difference - sometimes it's STILL hard to wrap my mind around exactly WHAT that difference IS....

I KNOW that your weight will be DIFFERENT in differing gravities such as in space, but your mass remains constant.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-09-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
Since you brought it up... Wouldn't mass then be affected by rolling resistance and wind drag?

I mean, as long as we're confusing things.
Fastoman likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Tim - being an ATP holder, I'm surprised that you got MASS and WEIGHT confused - In science and engineering, the weight of an object is related to the amount of force acting on the object, either due to gravity or to a reaction force that holds it in place, while Mass is both a property of a physical body and a measure of its resistance to acceleration (a change in its state of motion) when a net force is applied.

Even tho' I KNOW that there's a difference - sometimes it's STILL hard to wrap my mind around exactly WHAT that difference IS....

I KNOW that your weight will be DIFFERENT in differing gravities such as in space, but your mass remains constant.
Eddie it was Catholic Mass. I weighed my bike after church...Lol.

Just kidding!
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM

Garage
Whoa... That's heavy.

Fastoman likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

At long last this forum is getting some heavy
52Degrees likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Eddie it was Catholic Mass. I weighed my bike after church...Lol.

Just kidding!
Now THAT'S funny!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 AM

"My rear was 235 lbs"

Wow Hawkerjet, you seriously need to go on a diet.
hawkerjet likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
"My rear was 235 lbs"

Man that would indeed be one Lard Arse.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
"My rear was 235 lbs"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

Garage
Actually, mass would be increased by both the stored (potential) energy (fuel) of the machine itself and any movement (kinetic energy). Einstein’s E=mc(2) is actually an expression of mass and not energy, but states energy and mass are interchangeable. It was originally written as m= E/c(2). In this equation, Mass includes the all forms of energy (E) of the object, whether transformed from potential to kinetic or not, including both kinetic and potential.

Leave it Einstein to make things more difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Since you brought it up... Wouldn't mass then be affected by rolling resistance and wind drag?

I mean, as long as we're confusing things.
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz

Last edited by Shibumik; Yesterday at 10:22 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
Actually, mass would be increased by both the stored (potential) energy (fuel) of the machine itself and any movement (kinetic energy). Einstein’s E=mc(2) is actually an expression of mass and not energy, but states energy and mass are interchangeable. It was originally written as m= E/c(2). In this equation, Mass includes the all forms of energy (E) of the object, whether transformed from potential to kinetic or not, including both kinetic and potential.

Leave it Einstein to make things more difficult!
I thought it would be fun to bring up the idea that forces acting on an object could change the physical characteristics of that object.

Just something to geek out on for a minute.
Fastoman and Shibumik like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I thought it would be fun to bring up the idea that forces acting on an object could change the physical characteristics of that object.

Just something to geek out on for a minute.
Yes they can! That’s what happens when a recovering physicist catches your post!
Fastoman likes this.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 06:34 AM

Garage
Every time I load up for a trip I hit the scales to make sure I have good weight distribution.

We hang our unmanned aircraft so we can get cg which is very important.

I also find it valuable when loading the bike , or truck, or trailer because it does affect handling.

It is pretty easy to get front and back cg but not easy to get the side to side or distance from the ground.

The rule of thumb is to have heavy weight as low on the bike as possible and evenly distributed side to side.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Every time I load up for a trip I hit the scales to make sure I have good weight distribution..
I don't have a trunk or side bags so when I travel I strap a big duffel on the rear seat. A bonus of having 30 or so pounds back there is a smoother ride.

The extra weight causes the rear shock to ride a tad lower in the stroke and takes the edge off of the bumps. Similar to putting a load in the back of your truck causing a smoother ride.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I don't have a trunk or side bags so when I travel I strap a big duffel on the rear seat. A bonus of having 30 or so pounds back there is a smoother ride.

The extra weight causes the rear shock to ride a tad lower in the stroke and takes the edge off of the bumps. Similar to putting a load in the back of your truck causing a smoother ride.
PLUS - it's LESS than the weight of a passenger, which the Versys is 'set-up' for!
hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in