Buffetting and physics, random musings - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 2 Post By webmost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Buffetting and physics, random musings

I noticed the other day on the highway above about 75mph a significant subsonic buffet hitting my helmet. Something like 4 cycles per second. The faster I went the stronger it got. It was minimal at 60 but was there. Once I had felt it at the higher speeds I could detect it at lower speeds, but mixed in with the other random turbulence.

Putting my hand in different places I was able to determine it was riding up the back side (rider's side) of the windshield, then separating close to the top and moving towards my helmet.

I had adjusted the windshield on an earlier ride to maximum tilt towards me. This is a Madstad windshield, but the physics would apply to all brands. Previously I kept it adjusted at mid tilt. It seemed to work well mid tilt and I liked the visual line the best.

We've all made noise blowing over the top of a soda bottle (at least those of us over a certain age) and know the frequency doesn't change with how hard we blow, just the magnitude changes. But changing the dimensions (fluid level in the bottle) changes the frequency.

Eureka! There must be a dimension somewhere involving the windshield with a natural frequency of about 4 Hz. At this maximum tilt angle the gap between the instrument cowling and the windshield is large and fairly constant.

Adjusting the windshield to more upright killed the 4 hz buffet without creating a different one. At the more vertical angle the gap is much narrower at the bottom and opens up. The gap is not at all constant either laterally or vertically, so there is no natural frequency.

I guess the moral of the story is that buffeting isn't merely whether the windshield deflects the air away from the rider. The aerodynamics are important, and the gap is actually a pretty sophisticated application of the slotted flap/slat found on aircraft. But there is the simple Coke Bottle effect happening too.

If you're getting buffeted, moving the windshield can make a bigger difference than might be expected.
16VGTIDave and brwster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you're getting buffeted, removing the windshield can make a bigger difference than might be expected.
There... fixed it for ya

Fastoman and Fly-Sig like this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Last edited by webmost; 07-03-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode