First long trip on my V650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Gerharz14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

First long trip on my V650

I am looking to plan my first long camping trip on my 2017 Versys 650. Do you guys use a motorcycle specific GPS, phone with an app ( I downloaded Rever as of now) or an old school map? I am new to camping from my bike and would like to stay off the interstate as much as possible. Any advice around motocamping and travel is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerharz14 View Post
...Do you guys use a motorcycle specific GPS, phone with an app ( I downloaded Rever as of now) or an old school map?...
I use a non-bike specific Garmin GPS (Nuvi550) that is waterproof, and sometimes a map.

If you're interested in what I do, motorcycle camping, look thru this short ride-report:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...8-19-july.html
Gerharz14 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 PM

I used google maps with my phone and set a way point or two to avoid roads I didn’t want to deal with. Worked great 99% of the time, if my case was more waterproof it would have been perfect. This obviously relies on cell service and a charging port.

2018 Versys 650 ABS

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

On long ride or cross boarder ride , i use bike specified GPS and map. But the most important point you must have some plan and not get lost. In case you rely on service tower/cell phone for route than carry a map with you. Inform someone on your possible route and lead time to return home.

and enjoy your ride.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 PM

Garage
We use the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S on our bikes and have been very satisfied. All of ours are wired into the power supply and the head snaps on and off easily.

Motocamping advice? Light and small. The good stuff is expensive but will last a lifetime. We get most of our stuff at REI. Pricey but exceptional quality and they back your purchases. I think if you buy a shoe there and it fails within a year, take it back and they’ll replace them free.

One thing I can recommend is their merino wool socks. They have their REI brand and smartwool. Your feet will love them. Kept us dry and cool in the summer and toasty in the winter. $20 a pair and a wise investment.

Enjoy your adventure!

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 AM

I'm still stuck on old school maps, and also route charts that I create. The last 10 or so years, I've supplemented those with GPS, but only for the trip computer/compass, etc. functions and not for directions, so basically just to use as a scrolling map. Lately I've ditched dedicated GPS units and am instead using a $75 used waterproof/vibe proof "phablet" (Kyocera Duraforce) with no SIM card or carrier, running an off-line map/nav app (OsmAnd, but there are others).

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:40 AM

I ride with a smartphone and an app. Invested in a waterproof soft case and it works OK - I guess it'd be more ergonomic to use a purpose-built motorcycle GPS but those are expensive.

I use google maps for local riding and Kurviger for trips. Kurviger can work in offline mode and route curvy tracks that avoid main roads, it works really well. The app actually showed me some roads nearby I didn't know existed.

The pros of smartphones:
- variety of nav apps
- maps are always up to date
- searching and navigating to POIs is backed by google's database ("are there any good restaurants here? this one has 4.5 stars, get me there")
- pairs with your intercom and can be simultaneously used for music, calls, etc.
- you probably already own one

The cons:
- can overheat, especially in waterproof cases and during charging
- clunky to operate in waterproof cases
- the screen might not be readable in peak sunlight, depending on your phone model
- might be unusable in gloves, depending on your glove model

My opinion - if it's your first trip, ride with the stuff you have. If you end up hating using the phone, consider a GPS, but it might just work great for you.

2015 Versys 650
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I ride with a smartphone and an app. Invested in a waterproof soft case and it works OK - I guess it'd be more ergonomic to use a purpose-built motorcycle GPS but those are expensive.

I use google maps for local riding and Kurviger for trips. Kurviger can work in offline mode and route curvy tracks that avoid main roads, it works really well. The app actually showed me some roads nearby I didn't know existed.

The pros of smartphones:
- variety of nav apps
- maps are always up to date
- searching and navigating to POIs is backed by google's database ("are there any good restaurants here? this one has 4.5 stars, get me there")
- pairs with your intercom and can be simultaneously used for music, calls, etc.
- you probably already own one

The cons:
- can overheat, especially in waterproof cases and during charging
- clunky to operate in waterproof cases
- the screen might not be readable in peak sunlight, depending on your phone model
- might be unusable in gloves, depending on your glove model

My opinion - if it's your first trip, ride with the stuff you have. If you end up hating using the phone, consider a GPS, but it might just work great for you.

You couldn't have said it any better. I will try my phone and map, if I hate that method then I know to get a gps. Thanks for the comment!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
We use the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S on our bikes and have been very satisfied. All of ours are wired into the power supply and the head snaps on and off easily.

Motocamping advice? Light and small. The good stuff is expensive but will last a lifetime. We get most of our stuff at REI. Pricey but exceptional quality and they back your purchases. I think if you buy a shoe there and it fails within a year, take it back and they’ll replace them free.

One thing I can recommend is their merino wool socks. They have their REI brand and smartwool. Your feet will love them. Kept us dry and cool in the summer and toasty in the winter. $20 a pair and a wise investment.

Enjoy your adventure!

I couldn't agree more with your statement. I purchased a 2 person tent from REI and have used their socks for years. I used them in the Marines vs the crappy ones they issued us or sold on base store.

Thanks!
Shibumik likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode