• 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Beezerboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
footpegs...

so.... dumped 'er on the hill climb & busted the right footpeg. whats the good replacements, because the OEM are really pretty cheezy. (Gen III if it matters)

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:08 PM

Oof, hope you're ok!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ya, other than the red face. ha ha
rsherman likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:11 PM

Garage
There's one I hear about on Adventure Rider Radio all the time...

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products...ype=2Foot+Pegs

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
near as I can tell... none offered for the KLE/Versys. had them on my KLR.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:49 PM

Garage
Aren't they the same?

Like, seriously... I don't know.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't think so. pretty sure the bolt hole on the KLR peg is smaller, and not sure the angles are right either... but I could be wrong. anybody know?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Here is some model that might fit your like and bill.
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/versys-footpeg

I am using a wide foot peg which belong to another Kawasaki model - can,t remember which model.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
you said hill climb, so I think wide offroad / cleated pegs.
got the 20$ DR650 pegs suggestion from this forum.

with a bolt and nylock. You might enlarge the hole if you can, but that is to difficult for me (drill bit could jam) and the peg could be weakened.

Last edited by dddd; 06-24-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM

I put the SW-Motech wide on/off road pegs on mine soon after I purchased it. Expensive but I like them.

SW-M foot pegs
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
you said hill climb, so I think wide offroad / cleated pegs.
got the 20$ DR650 pegs suggestion from this forum.

with a 8mm bolt and nylock. You might enlarge the hole to the 10mm if you can, but that is to difficult for me (drill bit could jam from 8 to 10mm) and the peg could be weakened....
I run the DR650 pegs on both my V650s, using regular 3/8" bolts rather than drilling anything. They work GREAT [and over MANY miles!]. Here compared w/ stock AND w/ 3/8" bolt/locknut combo on my Gen 1 ('09).

And here in yellow on my Gen 3 ('15):

Beezerboy likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ya.... thats what I like

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
welp.... they don't fit. 75% miss-match on the holes. as I look back at the pix I see that you did is single shear loaded... not what I had in mind. I also have a lowering kit, so after thinking about, I'm going to mill the peg dropper out to 1/2". on the mill I can move the hole about .020 inboard so as to not lose any metal on the weak side. as for the peg, same, drill to accept tubing. I have 1/2" cro-mo aircraft tube with .058 wall. the I.D. fit is perfect to a 3/8" bolt. I'll probably braze the tube to the peg & it will be a snug slide in fit to the dropper

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
welp.... they don't fit. 75% miss-match on the holes. as I look back at the pix I see that you did is single shear loaded... not what I had in mind. I also have a lowering kit, so after thinking about, I'm going to mill the peg dropper out to 1/2". on the mill I can move the hole about .020 inboard so as to not lose any metal on the weak side. as for the peg, same, drill to accept tubing. I have 1/2" cro-mo aircraft tube with .058 wall. the I.D. fit is perfect to a 3/8" bolt. I'll probably braze the tube to the peg & it will be a snug slide in fit to the dropper
You're WAY beyond MY capabilities - the BEST I could do was just use the SAE bolt/nut, and it's worked for MANY years for me, tho' as you mention - perhaps it's NOT ideal.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You're WAY beyond MY capabilities - the BEST I could do was just use the SAE bolt/nut, and it's worked for MANY years for me, tho' as you mention - perhaps it's NOT ideal.
I would add that 10mm bolt fits a tiny bit better than 3/8" (9.5mm) given the DR650 pegs holes are 10mm. Once installed they do slant very slightly forward due to the play in the bike's bracket's hole (12mm) but I have not really felt that on the ankles.

As my picture shows above, to be satisfied, I chose to add spacers on a side of the spring to offset it for better fit. If I ever go back in there, I would probably file a larger peg's hole to fit the 12mm original.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so, plan B... don't remove any material from the (kinda weak, especially in single shear) footpeg dropper, machine the bushing on the lathe to make a light press fit on both the peg and drop. I drilled the steel footpeg to help make the fit. I had 3/8 bolts which are a couple thou loose fit to the ID of the tube stock. good enough until I drop it next time. I expect the lowering block will be next to go & then I'll have to make something better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110004.jpg (33.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1110005.jpg (40.9 KB, 19 views)
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Beezerboy; 07-01-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode