Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Constands centerstand installed

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Took 4 hours cos of that damn engine bolt. That was a 2 person job, as was getting the dual springs attached. Used a trampoline spring puller, with my neighbor holding the bike and pulling up the kickstand. I also attached the smaller (inside) spring first, then the larger outer spring.

Also had to slightly bend (with a vice) the bracket that goes beneath the exhaust pipe so it’d fit on the outside of the 2 side brackets.

Other than that it was a piece of cake 😄.

The instructions (diagrams) could certainly be better, and a step by step narrative would be welcome.

What will help is if you install the l/h side bracket (if you were sitting on the bike) and then bracket H, then do the engine bolt BEFORE you install the r/h side bracket (as you sit on the bike).

Overall, I think it’s a mod well worth doing. It’s a quality product, seems very sturdy, and works like a charm. It’s easier putting the V on the main stand than it was with my FZ6, which had a centerstand as standard. Having the side cases on or off make no difference.

All the best,
Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Cost was 113 Euros after 20% discount, and shipping was 40 Euros, for a total of 153 Euros. I think that came to about $175.

The stand was very well packaged and arrived in a couple of days.

The sidestand MUST be down in order to use the centerstand. No issues with it catching on the side stand or anything else.

Pic attached (bad lighting, hope it does the job).

Dave

Attachments

#6 ·
Is this a re-branded SW-Motech stand?

#8 ·
This really has my attention - the SW Motech distributor in Australia charges an absurd amount of money for the SW Motech centre stand - $422 AUD. This sidestand, at 134 euros, plus 60 euros shipping, still comes to significantly less.

Ah, the Australia tax...

Even if it's not a rebranded SW Motech, I still think this is the way I'm going to go.

#7 ·
Took 4 hours cos of that damn engine bolt. That was a 2 person job, as was getting the dual springs attached.
I'm curious how specifically you spent the time working on the engine bolt. I had the same frustration when installing the SWMotech crash bars. It seemed when I got to that point that a hydraulic lift to support the engine and help line everything up would have been the way to go, but I don't have one. And right about then a surprise rain storm came and I was outside and both impatient and determined so I just whacked at it with a big rubber mallet and it found its way through pretty quickly. I'm not proud of it, and probably damaged some threads on that engine bolt, but it got the job done.

#10 ·
Engine bolt probably took about an hour, what with not realizing it had to be removed (thank you Gibster for the super quick answer), and then needing a 2nd pair of hands to grip one end whilst I undid the other.

I’m guessing a competent person (basically anyone else 😄) could install this in a couple of hours. I’ll be the first to admit that “wrenching” isn’t my thing, but I do feel quite proud of the fact that I’ve installed a fender extender, rear hugger, radiator guard, clip on screen extender, and now this centerstand. All without damaging the bike.......or myself!

With regards to this being a SW Motech copy, I’ve no idea. I did research in the forum and only found positive comments on the Constands centerstand. Looks very sturdy and well made. There was a reference to China on the invoice, so my guess is it’s partly or all manufactured there and shipped to Germany, as that’s where it was mailed from. Cost wise, I thought it was great value and am very pleased with it.

All the best,
Dave

#11 ·
Engine bolt probably took about an hour, what with not realizing it had to be removed (thank you Gibster for the super quick answer), and then needing a 2nd pair of hands to grip one end whilst I undid the other.
Ah yes - I forgot about actually undoing the engine bolt. I was cursing that I didn't have a friend with me to help at the time for that. I ended up breaking it free by zip-tying a socket wrench to the frame to hold the right-side nut in place against the rotational torque I applied to the bolt at the other side.

You definitely deserve to feel good about accomplishing it yourself, no matter how much time it might take. You learn more about the mike and about yourself. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Anyway, so my biggest concern about center stands on our bikes is not the side stand thing, but rather that it's said that chains with perhaps a little too much slack can rub against the center stand during operation. So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are about that here - when you check the deflection at the bottom of the chain, how close does it come to the center stand in the up position?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.