Problems from 1st gear to 2nd? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problems from 1st gear to 2nd?

Hi, I want to ask your opinions or if something like this has happend to you?

I know the Versys have a strong sound when you gear up from first gear to second. I manage to make a smooth transition preloading the gear and then passing it to the next gear. But around a month ago when I'm doing High revs and pass from 1st to 2nd sometimes the gear stays on Neutral and when I want to put second it feels like is going to break like "grrrrrrrrr", I verified the clutch and is fully working, I also have been fully conscious when doing this transition to see if its mee but sometimes I have to stop to put it on second gear when thise happen.

I'm using the correct oil (10W40 Motul Api SL with MA adhitive). My versys is model 2012 with 10,200 Kms.

Roger Ramirez
Versys 650, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How's your chain tension and clutch cable adjustment? Your gear shift lever's main pivot (left footpeg mount) may need to be greased, and clutch cable lubed. Shift lever height can also be adjusted.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19121

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21862
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Invader,

I believe is not that because a week ago we lube the clutch cable, adjust and checked the pivot peg, checked the distance from the clucth and the chain tension and all that is ok. I took it to the Kawasaki dealer and checked all together and told them about the issue.

I think I will try with trying to modify the shift lever high, adjust clutch for more travel space and also will try with some motul 7100 sinthetic oil to see if the problem disappears.

Would like to hear more opinions.

Roger Ramirez
Versys 650, 2012

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So you have Motul 3000 4T 10W40 in it now? How many kms since your last oil change?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I have the Motul 5100 4t, I have use it since the first oil change at 1000 km and then change it again at 8,700 km in the odometer. So I have been using it for about 1,500km since last oil change. The problem started before last oil change, but is more pronounce now.

Roger Ramirez
Versys 650, 2012
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM

You do need to shift firmly for a clean shift. Try shifting up harder (within reason), this should help. Good luck. One of my friends stated this to me years ago by saying "Of course you hit neutral, you shift like a P***Y!"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I did a few things, I lube everything around the shift pedal (all pivots), adjust the clutch and changing the gear more firmly. Also adjust a little the travel for the shift pedal so its a little shorter.

Now is a lot smoother and the problem only happens 1 more time since I post this.

I hope the problem was me and not the bike, I can fix myself easier and cheaper than a gearbox.

Thanks for all your comments. I will post again if anything happens.

Roger Ramirez
Versys 650, 2012
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
You do need to shift firmly for a clean shift. Try shifting up harder (within reason), this should help. Good luck. One of my friends stated this to me years ago by saying "Of course you hit neutral, you shift like a P***Y!"
Good advice
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerram042 View Post
I did a few things, I lube everything around the shift pedal (all pivots), adjust the clutch and changing the gear more firmly. Also adjust a little the travel for the shift pedal so its a little shorter.

Now is a lot smoother and the problem only happens 1 more time since I post this.

I hope the problem was me and not the bike, I can fix myself easier and cheaper than a gearbox.

Thanks for all your comments. I will post again if anything happens.
Its a good idea too loosen the foot pedal (6mm L allen wrench) so you can squeeze grease into the shifter pivot . . . . You will notice a big improvement shifting over squirting lube in the joints etc.

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM

False neutrals happen on many bikes, some are just more sensible to it then others. Just make sure to shift like you mean it On a previous bike it happened that for example when I wanted to shift from 2nd to 3rd I'd stay in 2nd. The shift pedal was too low, so even when I lowered my foot to shift, boot wasn't completely releasing the pressure off the pedal so it couldn't reset to grab the next gear.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM

The shifter footrest pivot is the problem . . . Bad design . . . Should have rubber seals and a grease fitting. Metal against metal causes it to bind up . . . Grease will eliminate shifting issues . . . Will shift like butter.

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode