• 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 2 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

LED headlight bulb Gen 2!

Anyone know of a superbright LED bulb that will fit a Gen2 V (2011). I want the extra daytime visibility of an super bright pure white headlight. The gen 2 uses a bulb holder that a standard H7 bulb plugs into so I canít just use an H7 led bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Sure. Search for ďF2 LED H7Ē on Amazon. They are sold by a few different vendors. I bought mine from Safego. The design of these bulbs reproduces the light pattern of the incandescent bulb, only much brighter.
onewizard likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:58 PM

I use these led to my versys and fit just fine
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-X3-Car...4AAOSwqsxbj6eO

you can buy also nighteye H7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIGHTEYE-50...cAAOSwdrlbD3hS

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

The gen 2 light hosing uses a bulb socket to hold the bulb in place, the socket has a different pattern than the H7 bulb so I can’t use an off the shelf H7 LED. Cyclops makes a bulb kit but it is $150. I am looking for a less expensive option. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Kit_p_100.html

Trying to confirm fitment with vendor but I am hoping these will work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-H7-LED...-/183213160852

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 06-09-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
The gen 2 light hosing uses a bulb socket to hold the bulb in place, the socket has a different pattern than the H7 bulb so I canít use an off the shelf H7 LED. Cyclops makes a bulb kit but it is $150. I am looking for a less expensive option. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Kit_p_100.html

Trying to confirm fitment with vendor but I am hoping these will work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-H7-LED...-/183213160852

Really? You should check that. I had no such issues with my 2011 V650. H7 is a standard.

The Cyclops bulbs are not worth the $. The other bulbs you mention arenít worth the box they come in. Do a search here for other discussion re LED bulbs. This has been discussed numerous times.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Really? You should check that. I had no such issues with my 2011 V650. H7 is a standard.

The Cyclops bulbs are not worth the $. The other bulbs you mention aren’t worth the box they come in. Do a search here for other discussion re LED bulbs. This has been discussed numerous times.
I like the specs of the F2 Bulbs you mentioned. https://www.amazon.com/Headlemp-head...omotive&sr=1-9

But I don't see how these will fit in the housing or allow the dust boot to be installed with the large fan bulge at the back of the LED bulb. The standard H7 bulb fits into a Kawasaki supplied socket and it is the socket that gets retained with the spring wire clip, The socket cut out shape is different than the H7 bulb.

Upon further research I see that on many H7 led bulbs the base ring is detachable. That being the case I should be able to fabricate a spacer ring (like the cyclops kit) then install the base and boot and then the H7 LED bulb. I will look into it further and post back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gn 2 V headlight bulb and socket.jpg (33.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Gn 2 V headlight bulb in socket.jpg (34.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 06-10-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Garage
I donít know why this is so difficult, it isnít rocket surgery. Just remove the headlight assembly and install the LED bulbs.

Okay, there are a few things to do, but if you have basic had tools and can ride a motorcycle while chewing gum you will be fine. Here are some tips:
- Remove the headlight from the bike.
- Enlarge the hole in the rubber boots to fit around the fan. Use a sharp knife or find a Girl Scout to assist.
- The adapter that fits into the back of the Halogen bulb is for the electrical connections, it will be installed between the wrong sized headlight plug (WTF Kawasaki???) and the correct sized connector on the LED harness.
- The wire bulb retaining clips have to be adjusted to clear the LED body, an easy task.
- The mounting base on the F2 bulbs can be pulled off and installed into the headlight and secured by the wire retainer clips.
- The rubber boot is installed and then the LED is inserted through the boot and into the mounting base.
- Secure the power supplies to the framework and reassemble the bike.
- Enjoy brighter lights and reduced power consumption.
onewizard likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I donít know why this is so difficult, it isnít rocket surgery. Just remove the headlight assembly and install the LED bulbs.

Okay, there are a few things to do, but if you have basic had tools and can ride a motorcycle while chewing gum you will be fine. Here are some tips:
- Remove the headlight from the bike.
- Enlarge the hole in the rubber boots to fit around the fan. Use a sharp knife or find a Girl Scout to assist.
- The adapter that fits into the back of the Halogen bulb is for the electrical connections, it will be installed between the wrong sized headlight plug (WTF Kawasaki???) and the correct sized connector on the LED harness.
- The wire bulb retaining clips have to be adjusted to clear the LED body, an easy task.
- The mounting base on the F2 bulbs can be pulled off and installed into the headlight and secured by the wire retainer clips.
- The rubber boot is installed and then the LED is inserted through the boot and into the mounting base.
- Secure the power supplies to the framework and reassemble the bike.
- Enjoy brighter lights and reduced power consumption.
Ok got it, but can I substitute a Girl Guide for the Girl Scout? I can only find Girl Guides locally.

Kidding aside the important point is that the Bulb base can be separated from the LED bulb, I was not aware of that point before. I thought the base was permanently fixed to the bulb like a standard H7 halogen bulb. Thanks for the info
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I got a pair of H7 bulbs rated at 15K lumens ea., not sure I believe that but they are crazy bright. They have 4 cree leds one on each side of the post so they emit light in all directions. I cut spacers out of 1Ē PVC pipe so the retainer clip would hold the bulb base firmly. 1Ē PVC pipe is almost identical diameter of H7 base. You just need to sand a small area flat where the tab on the bulb base fits into the housing. Trimmed the rubber dust cover per 16 GTIDaveí s instruction inserted LED bulbs and done. Only $15 for the pair of bulbs with shipping.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I got a pair of H7 bulbs rated at 15K lumens ea., not sure I believe that but they are crazy bright. They have 4 cree leds one on each side of the post so they emit light in all directions.
I believe you are onto something here with the light emitting on all four sides.All the common wisdom on LED retrofits for my bike(2015 650) are side to side emitting,leading to a wide light throw but not as far as we would like.When they say this is the system for our bikes we assume they know their stuff. That includes all the expensive rebranded LEDs from the motorcycle specific vendors.To mimic the OEM incandescent bulb (this is the key to retrofitting LED to incandescent reflectors)light should ideally be emitting 360 degrees,or at least all 4 sides. Mimic the OEM incandescent as much as possible. Or so I believe anyways, this is my theory! It would be great if you could post a couple of pics in darkness to see how they throw the light out.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Link To Seller

Quote:
I got a pair of H7 bulbs rated at 15K lumens ea., not sure I believe that but they are crazy bright. They have 4 cree leds one on each side of the post so they emit light in all directions. I cut spacers out of 1” PVC pipe so the retainer clip would hold the bulb base firmly. 1” PVC pipe is almost identical diameter of H7 base. You just need to sand a small area flat where the tab on the bulb base fits into the housing. Trimmed the rubber dust cover per 16 GTIDave’ s instruction inserted LED bulbs and done. Only $15 for the pair of bulbs with shipping.
Do you have a link to the seller? Also from what I read, these are led bulbs, no driver and no heat sink or fan? 15000 lumens, more like 1500 lumens, be aware that LED produce heat, heat is 95% cause of failure , second thing is on the 2015, oddly spaced reflectors are designed for a filament exactly center , this is impossible even with 4 sided led, if used on a 2015 or newer, expect to light up everything except greater distance on the road. For MK-2 or MK-1 a whole different story. Since you have a 2011, I would be concerned about heat.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-13-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I will post pics later, don’t ride at night but for you folks I will make an exception. The bulbs have a fan and ribbed aluminum housing to displace heat they are bright, I will post a daytime pic too. I had a higher wattage halogen high beam that was on a modulator but took it off as it appeared very dim compared to the new LED low beam light. Seller iUS based and I received the bulbs with in a few days. The $15 is for two bulbs including shipping in the US, seem like a decent quality.

Cold they draw 2.2 amps at 12.2 V so around 30 watts Taking into account some resistance when they heat up etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-sides-H7-...d1ef7389f0e987
onewizard and jaaklucas like this.

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 06-13-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I will post pics later, donít ride at night but for you folks I will make an exception. The bulbs have a fan and ribbed aluminum housing to displace heat they are bright, I will post a daytime pic too. I had a higher wattage halogen high beam that was on a modulator but took it off as it appeared very dim compared to the new LED low beam light. Seller iUS based and I received the bulbs with in a few days. The $15 is for two bulbs including shipping in the US, seem like a decent quality.

Cold they draw 2.2 amps at 12.2 V so around 30 watts Taking into some resistance when they heat up etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-sides-H7-...d1ef7389f0e987
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So they skirt around the wattage, however according to the specs, 9 to 32 VDC , which means there is a driver built in, also the photo shows a fan. As to specs, 6000 to 6500 K colour, beyond that I doubt that the people supplying the script have a clue, I did a search and found a add rating 1800 W @ 270,000 lumen. So your current rating of 2.2 amps @ 12.2 VDC will drop when you start the bike , at 14.2 VDC it should be 1.89 amp DC. Very similar to my old which is the ones in post 92 of this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html about 2500 to 3000 lumen. Which is what I would guess yours are. I further describe this in post 121
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

The photo does not do it justice, this headlight is very bright. This was taken mid day in full sunlight a lot brighter than halogen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED Headlight comp.jpg (63.8 KB, 16 views)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So they skirt around the wattage, however according to the specs, 9 to 32 VDC , which means there is a driver built in, also the photo shows a fan. As to specs, 6000 to 6500 K colour, beyond that I doubt that the people supplying the script have a clue, I did a search and found a add rating 1800 W @ 270,000 lumen. So your current rating of 2.2 amps @ 12.2 VDC will drop when you start the bike , at 14.2 VDC it should be 1.89 amp DC. Very similar to my old which is the ones in post 92 of this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html about 2500 to 3000 lumen. Which is what I would guess yours are. I further describe this in post 121
I was concerned about current draw based on the high lumen claim and no indication of wattage anywhere on the packaging. I don't really know about the lumen output but my guess is your estimate is a whole lot closer to reality, whatever it is the light is bright. So far so good but like the lumens I am skeptical about the 50,000 hour operating life.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Safego LED

I have posted these several times, wattage is bang on, lumens my guess is closer to 3500 lumen

I have it mounted in low beam only, as it is useless for high beam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode