New Bike Day! Also, question for Aussie bikies - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By davec719
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

New Bike Day! Also, question for Aussie bikies

After months of research, I've finally become a member of the Versys club! A new to me, 2017 Versys 650. I'm looking forward to the weekend considerably more than I was a couple of days ago.

Question for Aussies, especially in NSW - what insurance companies do you like? I'm looking at NRMA, but it's at the top of the range, pricewise, and doesn't seem to offer coverage for riding gear damaged in a crash. Still worth it? Or are there better options?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 9.45.59 am.jpg (20.1 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 AM

Welcome. Enjoy the V.

I’m from Colorado so no idea about Aussie insurance companies.

Dave
rsherman likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM

I am away for the next few days. Will check when I am home. From memory, Swann are expensive and may not be good for claims (friend experience).
NRMA offer multi policy discounts - we have car, caravan, house contents, wife's little Honda 125, third party on both bikes. So we get BIG discounts. But not my Versys, as no gear cover.
Will update this post when home and checked.
Check of emails makes me think QBE. $4000 apparel cover, agreed or market value, pricing based on estimated mileage per year etc. Also a price beat guarantee. Check the website under QBE motorcycle insurance.
https://www.qbe.com/au/motorcycle-insurance

Oh yes, and congratulations on your choice of bike✌️

Last edited by DavidH; 06-07-2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Adding link, added comment

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I am away for the next few days. Will check when I am home. From memory, Swann are expensive and may not be good for claims (friend experience).
NRMA offer multi policy discounts - we have car, caravan, house contents, wife's little Honda 125, third party on both bikes. So we get BIG discounts. But not my Versys, as no gear cover.
Will update this post when home and checked.
Check of emails makes me think QBE. $4000 apparel cover, agreed or market value, pricing based on estimated mileage per year etc. Also a price beat guarantee. Check the website under QBE motorcycle insurance.
https://www.qbe.com/au/motorcycle-insurance

Oh yes, and congratulations on your choice of bike✌️
Thanks mate! No need to look it up, at this point, I spent most of the day researching different companies coverage, and ended up going with NRMA. QBE looked good, but were surprisingly a little more expensive. Appreciate the info!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

AT LEAST you get a CHOICE!

In BC we HAVE to take ICBC (government insurance, at least for the required minimum coverage), and it's BLOODY expensive! When I moved here from Alberta I'd been paying about $450/year for full-coverage, but ICBC hit me w/ a bill for OVER $110/MONTH, and that's NOT full-coverage!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:00 PM

No worries. As long as you got gear cover, NRMA should be good. But may be worth a call to QBE to check on their price guarantee. Maybe they will match NRMA premium.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
No worries. As long as you got gear cover, NRMA should be good. But may be worth a call to QBE to check on their price guarantee. Maybe they will match NRMA premium.
Yeah, the NRMA policy gives $2000 in gear coverage, so I'm all set, for now. As far as Australia is concerned, I'm a new rider (I used to ride in the US, but let my license lapse some time ago, after an accident), so I reckon for the first year or two, I'll be overpaying no matter who I go with.

I think next year I'll be eligible for APIA...either way, I'll do some comparison shopping in 12 months, when this coverage expires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
AT LEAST you get a CHOICE!

In BC we HAVE to take ICBC (government insurance, at least for the required minimum coverage), and it's BLOODY expensive! When I moved here from Alberta I'd been paying about $450/year for full-coverage, but ICBC hit me w/ a bill for OVER $110/MONTH, and that's NOT full-coverage!

Yikes! Did they give you any reason why? Or is it just, our way or GTFO?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:51 AM

Garage
Congrats on the new ride. I am also with QBE. $346 p.a. for my 2017 VX300 with $4k riding gear cover and full replacement (including all on road fees) if written off during the first 3 years.

I realise that you have signed up but look here for a comparison. https://www.finder.com.au/car-insura...ycle-insurance
rsherman likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J

Last edited by Brockie; 06-08-2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Link
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
...Yikes! Did they give you any reason why? Or is it just, our way or GTFO?
The ONLY reason - government insurance!!!

FWIW - in AZ (FULL coverage) I pay about $295 A YEAR!!!

rsherman likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:48 AM

Enjoy your new bike! 😁
Don’t forget the other insurance...good protective riding gear. 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode