Front wheel chock adjustment - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Front wheel chock adjustment

I bought this wheel chock today, a good deal for $60 ($45 USD)- on sale until June 9. It appears to be very robust and I plan to mount it on my lift.

Question: to any riders here who have the same chock: which hole did you to mount the front pivot assembly for our 17" rims? I am alone here and don't want to risk hitting the brake discs on the pivot assembly when it drops the wheel into place.

My instinct says the 2nd hole as pictured on the link, but uncertain. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Edit: the brand is Power Fist. "Adjustable for wheels from 14" to 21" If the first hole, closest to the hoop is for a 14" wheel, then it follows that the next is 16", then 18" and the last is for 21"
So would I use the second or third hole for a 17"? Maybe I should just try the two options. I drilled the four holes and mounted the chock to the ramp. I'm impressed, it's very solid, with good nuts, bolts and washers provided for assembly. Need your own bolts for mounting to a floor, platform lift or pickup truck bed.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ck/A-p8240145e

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Smiley; 06-06-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Clarity, update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I had an earlier version of that chock on my tow from AZ to AB back in '11, and here's a pic.

It appears that the holes were situated vertically and I was in the TOP one. HOPE this helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05962copycopy.jpg (367.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05963 copy.jpg (48.7 KB, 8 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Also - looking at the distance between the part of the chock going up to the back of the tire, that there's LOTS of room between it and the brake-discs. I can also add that I wasn't at all concerned about them contacting, and that was the SECOND time I did that particular set-up.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Ed, but I am returning the chock. I installed it and tried both of the positions, the third from front fit the diameter of the wheel best but the chock is too wide to hold the bike upright.

Despite the robust build, I do not recommend the Power Fist wheel chock for the Versys.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have the same chock from Harbor freight. I just added some wood spacers to the chock, just thick enough for a snug fit for my tires. It perfectly grips my tires but won't mar my wheels. Couldn't ask for a better chock.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Randy do you have any photos of the spacers? Thanks. I haven't returned it yet and am open to suggestions.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Here you go. I trimmed them so they wouldn't hit the disks and planed them down for best fit. I hope they work for you,

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28987

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ictureid=28989

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

Last edited by Randyjaco; 06-08-2019 at 09:20 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the photos.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I always ran my V INTO the chock till my tire was in FULL CONTACT w/ the front of the chock.

That's w/ an OEM 120/70 Dunlop.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Even with the tire jammed tight, there is too much lateral movement. The design of the Power Fist is not the same as the chock that both Ed and Randy have. It appears to be made for fat-tired front or rear wheels.

I have a few friends who service their bikes here sharing my lift. I cannot see the chock working with three different bikes of various wheel and tire dimensions without a lot of adaptation.

I don't need a chock for my V anyway, it was more to suit my friend's bikes that don't have swingarm bobbins to stabilize their bikes vertically on the lift. They'll have to continue using ratchet straps to stabilize the bike vertically.

Thanks for your suggestions and tips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode