My new idol or just plain crazy. You decide.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My new idol or just plain crazy. You decide..

Hi everyone. I was out shopping yesterday and thought I was hallucinating. I actually stopped and made sure I hadn't fallen down a rabbit hole and woke up in a warmer climate.
You have to understand that I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. This time of year WILL freeze the balls of the brass monkey and recreational riding usually takes place on a snowmobile. The temp outside today was -30 degrees Celcius with the windchill felt like -40 degrees. Exposed skin freezes in 10 minutes. Brrr!
Anyway, I saw a dude riding his motorbike (a Kawi KLR 650 no less) in city streets that you can skate on....they are that icy. He was geared up appropriately but HOLY CRAP, that's cold riding.
So, I ask you, is this dude just an awesome rider willing to take on mother nature and command respect or is he crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM

In Europe they race bikes on ice. Spiked tyres. Stil cold, probably no where near as cold where you are.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM

Perhaps he was on his way to a Saskatoon Blades hockey game. (Can't miss the hockey game!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Wow.....that is crazy! I often wonder if these guys(or gals), are truly hardcore muthafu$%as!.......or are they just stuck with a bike as their only mode of transport and are desperate to get somewhere???
God, I hate winter!!!!!!!! I haven't touched my V in almost 4 months!!!!!!! FML
Cheers
BiGo
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Perhaps he was on his way to a Saskatoon Blades hockey game. (Can't miss the hockey game!)
PS---- Hey Bones.... just wanted to say that I've read all your articles for Rider magazine, and thoroughly enjoyed them all! Great stuff Especially your Nova Scotia one....I'm from Halifax
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Crazy? Yes and no.

I'm guessing he was like me the other day... walked by my V in the garage and had just had enough. Despite the weather I had to take the cover off and go for a 90 minute ride (with appropriate gear).

But yeah.. kinda crazy to ride on ice if he didn't have spiked tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM

meh... I did a 1100 miler a couple of weekends ago. 12 hours on a Friday and 10.5 back on a Sunday. Oh... never mind. It was in Florida.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, no picture means it didn't happen.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
meh... I did a 1100 miler a couple of weekends ago. 12 hours on a Friday and 10.5 back on a Sunday. Oh... never mind. It was in Florida.
I'm sorry, but that is really rubbing it in to all of us idiots that live north of the Mason Dixon line.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

No spiked tires, no Blades game on at the time. I'm leaning towards crazy.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Garage
Our SW Ontario Winter won't compare to the bone chilling Prairie Winter, but you still won't see even the craziest one try to ride here. So I'm voting crazy.

What is "geared up appropriately" for those temps BTW? When I dress up in cold weather gear for temps just above zero, I'm pretty bulky and and mobility and fine motor skills are somewhat limited by the bulk of clothing. At those extreme sub zero temps, what the heck do you wear to keep your hands and feet warm but still able to work all the controls??

Always trust your cape.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm impressed he got it started! Maybe he was just doing it as a goof. Around here you'll see moped riders riding in all condition as they don't have a choice. On a tangent....the other day a car that was behind me at a light must've thought my V was a moped and pulled over into the next lane in order to pass me when the light turned green...when the light changed they found out my V wasn't a moped.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

He looked like he was dressed to go for a skidoo ride. He had on the insulated pants and jacket, boots, gloves (not big mitts). His visor on his helmet was fogged up so guessing his visor wasnt heated. Neoprene wind breaking neck warmer too. His hands had to have been frozen......
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Uh, no offense but just thinking of Saskatoon at the end of January is enough to make me hallucinate.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN Barb View Post
He looked like he was dressed to go for a skidoo ride. He had on the insulated pants and jacket, boots, gloves (not big mitts). His visor on his helmet was fogged up so guessing his visor wasnt heated. Neoprene wind breaking neck warmer too. His hands had to have been frozen......
-30c is pretty cold. I ride down to about -4c but I don't have elcetric gear either. My guess is the guy had heated gloves or liners. Its all about the gear. I've got an insulated riding suit that I don't use because it's just too big and bulky but it does isolate me completely from the elements. I could see myself being farily comfortable in the riding suit with a couple layers underneath it in just about any temperature. I think my hands, feet and face would be the first casualties but with heated gloves, a face mask under a FF helmet and a good pair of boots and socks I could ride down to -30c and live to tell about it. Those KLR guys are crazy anyway.....I really miss mine.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

So I'm looking at the river the other day (the Ottawa, that is, and my house faces it), thinking the ice has a frozen hard thin layer of snow on it, maybe I should put the battery in my Super Sherpa (leave the V under the covers for a while yet...) and try it out on the ice....nope, chickened out. Haven't gone so far as to put (I heard 600!) screws in the tire lugs and give that a whirl...

Dave T.

'09 Versys
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...He was geared up appropriately but HOLY CRAP, that's cold riding.
So, I ask you, is this dude just an awesome rider willing to take on mother nature and command respect or is he crazy?
YES!!!

When I ice-raced on the Ottawa River near Hawkesbury, Ontario, I would ride there the 7 or 8 miles from my farm (Can-Am 400 Qualifier with studded tires OF COURSE), race, then home. One time, quite cold, crisp and clear (the River is over 1/4 mile wide at that point) I decided to wheelie across. Did it BOTH ways, so I MIGHT be the only person to wheelie ON the Ottawa, and ALL the way across.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM

You win!

So now you do it on Lake Okanagan??

Dave T.

'09 Versys
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi everyone. I was out shopping yesterday and thought I was hallucinating. I actually stopped and made sure I hadn't fallen down a rabbit hole and woke up in a warmer climate.
You have to understand that I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. This time of year WILL freeze the balls of the brass monkey and recreational riding usually takes place on a snowmobile. The temp outside today was -30 degrees Celcius with the windchill felt like -40 degrees. Exposed skin freezes in 10 minutes. Brrr!
Anyway, I saw a dude riding his motorbike (a Kawi KLR 650 no less) in city streets that you can skate on....they are that icy. He was geared up appropriately but HOLY CRAP, that's cold riding.
I live in Ottawa with similar temperatures. Lots and lots of bicycles on the road in those kinds of temperatures. They all use off road tires. But not a motorcycle to be seen. Personally I ride down to 0C with heated gear but loss of traction due to ice is a very real danger on a motorcycle so riding below freezing to me seems a little nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode