Aligning the chain... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Aligning the chain...

For a long time, whenever someone mentioned getting an alignment-tool and doing a chain alignment, I kind of chuckled to myself, then went on to read another topic, AFTER ALL - MY ORIGINAL chain has OVER 40,000 miles on it, on a diet of WD40, proof that I'd 'got-it-right' when I had "eyeball-aligned-it" shortly after I got it back in '08.

Well, a few days ago on a ride, I stopped at Cycle Gear in Tucson and wandered around seeing if there was anything NEW. The "Motion Pro" chain alignment tool caught my eye (yes - I KNOW that a bunch of you have posted about it, giving it high marks!), so - what the hell - I bought it.

Got home, put it onto the bench and forgot about it, then, seeing it later, decided to give it a "run"....

Picture 1 shows how close my "eyeball-aligned-it" had gotten. Looks CLOSE, doesn't it?
Picture 2 shows it AFTER alignment (), when it FINALLY IS ALIGNED!
Pictures 3 and 4 show my axle-alignment "hash-marks" AFTER alignment.

Now for the "don't-try-this-at-home-kiddies" disclaimer:
...several times today during a 200 mile ride, when there were NO vehicles near me (I was on a 'closed-course' of course ...) I tried removing my hands from the grips....

Previously when I'd done that, I had some SMALL difficulty keeping BIG RED from going into a gentle 'bank', using "body-English" to keep it tracking straight.

Today it stayed PERFECTLY upright without any added inputs from my knees, or me...!

For those who haven't done it - beg, borrow, or steal (No - NOT really...) an alignment tool and check YOUR chain! (A little bit goes a long way....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09502.jpg (60.0 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09503.jpg (64.6 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09504.jpg (77.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09505.jpg (74.6 KB, 279 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Before i got the Motion-Pro alignment tool the only time i adjusted the chain i didn't trust the alignment marks on the swingarm. I took a tape measure and made sure each side was the same distance. When i got the tool and checked my work it was spot on but having the tool made it fast and simple.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

for sharing with the picture.

Very Informative and useful on chain care.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I align my chain I put a string line along the front and rear wheels and get the rear wheel aligned to the string. Aligning the chain in my opinion does not guarantee an accurate wheel alignment. Surely it's the wheel alignment that govern's if the bike runs true with hands off.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM

Pure Motion Pro Bro!!
Endorsed!!!

Last edited by crow; 02-01-2013 at 07:24 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM

My chain is in alignment (with the motion-pro tool) and it leans to the left if I take my hands off of the grips.

My bike is one of those where the hash marks actually match up when the chain is in alignment. I've never tested to see if the tires are actually in alignment.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
When I align my chain I put a string line along the front and rear wheels and get the rear wheel aligned to the string. Aligning the chain in my opinion does not guarantee an accurate wheel alignment. Surely it's the wheel alignment that govern's if the bike runs true with hands off.
I tried doing that once but the problem was that my front wheel wasn't in alignment!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 AM

It's one of the first non-farkle item I purchased after buying my V. Before I had a shaft drive ST1100. I too am a believer in this nice little tool.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM

I think I might get one of those now. Your chain looks pretty dang good (I know, wd-40)!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
...Your chain looks pretty dang good (I know, wd-40)!
This is "anecdotal" - when I finish squirting the WD40 onto my chain (the bike's on a T-Rex stand) I spin it with my foot against the tire, and it spins much more freely than other bikes I've 'spun'. Then I wipe the excess off the chain and tire. I BELIEVE that my gas mileage MIGHT be a bit better due to how easily the rear wheel spins on its WD40 'diet'...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I BELIEVE that my gas mileage MIGHT be a bit better due to how easily the rear wheel spins on its WD40 'diet'...!

Be Careful not to inhale to much of the WD-40 Fumes...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Not having to worry about chain alignment is one of the things I appreciate about my old Speed Triple's single-sided swingarm.

Yeah, I know, that comment was utterly irrelevant to the Kawasaki Versys, Motion Pro tools, and the conversation in general.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Be Careful not to inhale to much of the WD-40 Fumes...
huh ... wadid he say...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Picture 1 shows how close my "eyeball-aligned-it" had gotten. Looks CLOSE, doesn't it?
Picture 2 shows it AFTER alignment (), when it FINALLY IS ALIGNED!
Pictures 3 and 4 show my axle-alignment "hash-marks" AFTER alignment.
Can someone help me here. I am really not seeing much if any of a difference.. what should I be looking at/for?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Can someone help me here. I am really not seeing much if any of a difference.. what should I be looking at/for?

First photo. The metal rod is right at the inner side of the link at the point where the rod and blue holder start The far end of the rod is pointing more toward the middle of the chain.

Second Photo. The whole length of the rod is lined up with the inner side of the link.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM

I would like to know what Keith Fenner thinks of this method. A link for the curious: http://turnwrightmachineworks.com/blog/

I'm no diplomat
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM

Cool Tool.
I have my own way. Run the bike in about 2nd gear on the rear stand.

Chain should run back and forth on the rear sprocket. IF it wanders to both sides, its in alignment. This works on all chain drives. I learned this on snowmobiles. When the track runs on only one side, its not adjusted properly. Its the same for chain.

One possible fault, my new rear sprocket is not exactly true. The tool or my method could be off a little.

For 30 years all I rode were shaft drive bikes. This is a relearning thing for me.

David
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Is it just me, or does that seem like a lot of chain-fling on the rear-wheel? I mean, for a bike that gets wd-40 and a wipe-down.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Is it just me, or does that seem like a lot of chain-fling on the rear-wheel? I mean, for a bike that gets wd-40 and a wipe-down.
One day I'll post a picture of my rear wheel the day after I WD40 the chain, and gone on a longish ride. (Just added TWO...!)

DEFINITELY my rear wheel will NOT rust...!
(And - yes - I KNOW it's made of aluminum.)

I would prefer it to be pristine and lovely, but the chain being CLEAN and LUBED is the BIGGIE, so a 'dirty' wheel is collateral damage....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09037.jpg (49.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09038.jpg (49.5 KB, 65 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode