new 650 lt ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new 650 lt ?

Thinking about trading in my 2012 for a new LT. Probably worth it for the abs alone, but PLEASE tell me the seat is better......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:44 PM

I donít know about the 2012 but Iím happy with my 2019 LT. Although I still might use my AirHawk for long trips.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:33 PM

Take my word with a grain of salt, as I still don't own a Versys, but I've been researching them for months, and the seat seems to be one of the most common complaints for people riding more than an hour.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Same seat all years afaik. Get a Sargent!
jaaklucas likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 AM

Garage
Butts are like feet -- not all made to fit the same last. One guy says the seat rocks, the other guys says the seat sucks; they're both right. The only guy who's wrong never gave his seat a chance. This fact makes it impossible to manufacture a seat which is comfy for everyone. This is true for every model bike you get. It is in no way unique to the Versys LT. Hear the same on every model's forum.

Me, I rode across country on the stock seat with a sheepskin. But then, I've never sat on a Sergeant that I liked. Nope, nor a Corbin either. Had a bike with a Russell which was good enough to put up with, but I'd never spend as much as it takes to get one. The one thing you can say with certainty is that the more a guy pays for his custom seat the more he brags how good it is. And about half those guys never put any time & patience into breaking in their OEM seat and their own butt before slapping down major coin so as to have something to brag on.

I say give the stock seat an eight hour ride out, and then likewise back. Hop across your state to Asheville, maybe camp at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground. Ride on back to Avon. Then decide. Might not need anything.

Or you might not need much. A simple sheepskin helps with heat. Medical sheepskins meant to prevent bedsores are cropped in such a way as to allow more air flow. And they are washable. Bead Riders sheds rain, so they're good. AirHawks feel a bit squiishy to me. Silk boxers and a dash of Gold Bond are usually all I need.

Closest I came to buying a custom seat was my Indian Scout. Came a small leather bucket, a solo seat. But then I took a 900 mile trip, and what I discovered is that all it really needed was broke in to fit my butt, like the way you break in a baseball mitt... you pound on it. Same's true of your butt. Got to break that in too. Ever since, I love that seat.

I play handball. Gonna go down to the Y this morning, in fact. When you first start handball, it hurts your hand. After you've been doing it three weeks that goes away. After you've been pounding that ball for years, you don't even feel it.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ninja 650 for 6 years: airhawk after 400km.
Versys 650 for 4 years: never needed it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
Butts are like feet -- not all made to fit the same last. One guy says the seat rocks, the other guys says the seat sucks; they're both right. The only guy who's wrong never gave his seat a chance. This fact makes it impossible to manufacture a seat which is comfy for everyone. This is true for every model bike you get. It is in no way unique to the Versys LT. Hear the same on every model's forum.

Me, I rode across country on the stock seat with a sheepskin. But then, I've never sat on a Sergeant that I liked. Nope, nor a Corbin either. Had a bike with a Russell which was good enough to put up with, but I'd never spend as much as it takes to get one. The one thing you can say with certainty is that the more a guy pays for his custom seat the more he brags how good it is. And about half those guys never put any time & patience into breaking in their OEM seat and their own butt before slapping down major coin so as to have something to brag on.

I say give the stock seat an eight hour ride out, and then likewise back. Hop across your state to Asheville, maybe camp at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground. Ride on back to Avon. Then decide. Might not need anything.

Or you might not need much. A simple sheepskin helps with heat. Medical sheepskins meant to prevent bedsores are cropped in such a way as to allow more air flow. And they are washable. Bead Riders sheds rain, so they're good. AirHawks feel a bit squiishy to me. Silk boxers and a dash of Gold Bond are usually all I need.

Closest I came to buying a custom seat was my Indian Scout. Came a small leather bucket, a solo seat. But then I took a 900 mile trip, and what I discovered is that all it really needed was broke in to fit my butt, like the way you break in a baseball mitt... you pound on it. Same's true of your butt. Got to break that in too. Ever since, I love that seat.

I play handball. Gonna go down to the Y this morning, in fact. When you first start handball, it hurts your hand. After you've been doing it three weeks that goes away. After you've been pounding that ball for years, you don't even feel it.
I am in total agreement with you. I just know I have a whiney hiney and while the Air Hawk helps it just adds a few hours of saddle time. I tried a Sargent saddle and found it to slippery, a Corbin came on my last Beemer and I liked it but the ergonomics (on the Beemer) are much more relaxed. As far as breaking in the stock saddle, four years and 50k miles have given my boney butt a much more expressive vocabulary.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
Thinking about trading in my 2012 for a new LT. Probably worth it for the abs alone, but PLEASE tell me the seat is better......
The following tweak I did to my stock seat made a very noticeable difference in comfort.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t-tune-up.html

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
OEM Seat DIYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
The following tweak I did to my stock seat made a very noticeable difference in comfort.

Fortunately I did take photos, and yes if you notice a key tool I used was my level. I bought stainless staples from Home Depot and got some foam from the Foam store locally. I had a Corbin on my 07 Versys and loved it, unfortunately it wouldn't fit on the 2015 while I tried it in the show room, quite possibly a case of the center mounting for the 07 . So Corbin being absolutely horrible to deal with plus way too much $$$$$ I tried my hand. My longest day was close to 1000 KM, wearing my motorcycle pants seems to help, a big plus is my highway pegs, without the highway pegs I would say 400 KM would be my limit. So here is a link to my DIYS post, I think with the foam and special contact spray, staples, it came to under $50 ;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...tions-diy.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Check post #10 on this thread:

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
Oh yah, I forgot all about that. I DID raise the front of my seat using a plastic block. That was like a five minute mod.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
Oh yah, I forgot all about that. I DID raise the front of my seat using a plastic block. That was like a five minute mod.
me too......helps the forward slide. There are many ways to address the comfort issue, I just haven't found the right one.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My only complaint with the OEM seat on the '11 Versys was that it locked me in one riding position. I fixed that with a custom seat from Terry.

When I bought my '12 Concours I was noticing that almost everyone on the forum was putting risers on the bike. I felt like it was a reach to the bars also but decided to work on my core and adapt to the bike before making any changes and I only ended up changing the seat because the OEM was too soft for distance riding, but great for 25 miles at a time. I got used to the riding position and enjoyed it for 30,000 miles.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:56 PM

I replaced the seat on my 2018 with a Sargent Low.....the new seat is much firmer, but seems to work better for me.

-X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode