Thinking ofbuying another Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinking ofbuying another Versys

I have had three Versys 650's in the past. One gen.1 and two gen. two's. I am thinking of getting a gen three but am concerned as to the height of the bike with the wife on the back. I am getting older (70) and was thinking of lowering it with Moto Werk link. Has anyone tried this and did it help much?
I have other bikes but none that she can ride on.
Thanks, 870buz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
IMO, there are better bikes for passenger comfort.

Are you adamantly opposed to a cruiser style bike? If so;

I would consider a Moto Guzzi V7 or V9, or look at the triumph Bonnevilles. Put a rear rack and backrest and she will be happy and you will a lower seat height.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:31 AM

Maybe have a look at the Vstrom as well. I think it's probably a bit roomier for a passenger. The MG V7 is low to the ground with a huge fuel tank and easy to work on so long as you don't need a dealer for support they're a good option.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Maybe have a look at the Vstrom as well. I think it's probably a bit roomier for a passenger. The MG V7 is low to the ground with a huge fuel tank and easy to work on so long as you don't need a dealer for support they're a good option.
There is a well known and respected Moto Guzzi dealer in the New England area.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I was just interested in how the link worked out for some. I know I can buy other bikes. I had a Super Glide Custom and a Honda CTX that I had just to take her for rides. I didn't like them at all.
Thanks for the reply's.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
30 inch inseam

I had the lowering link on my 07 and then got one for the 2015, I did my seat myself and can say that after installing Speedy lowering link I can flat foot on level surfaces . I rarely carry passengers but if you are asking about the lowering link, in my opinion the bike performs equal to or better than without the link, just my opinion, although others have said the same.
turn8a, BEACHBUM and jaaklucas like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
There is a well known and respected Moto Guzzi dealer in the New England area.
Yeah there's a couple, they're sparse across the country though. I had a MG Stelvio before this Versys.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870buz View Post
I was just interested in how the link worked out for some. I know I can buy other bikes. I had a Super Glide Custom and a Honda CTX that I had just to take her for rides. I didn't like them at all.
Thanks for the reply's.

Lowering link is probably the way to go if you want to stick with the Versys.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's. I did pickup the 2016 Versys today. Very impressive the third gen. and my fourth Versys.
I have bought some bikes two times but only the Versys has made it four times. Hard to beat.
I can always buy a different bike if it don't work out.
Thanks
turn8a, Turk and jaaklucas like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 PM

congrats on the bike. I think the lowering kit was the best $200.00 I spent on the bike.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The lower kit from Motowerk will lower your bike by 1"plus and it does work.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's. I did pickup the 2016 Versys today. Very impressive the third gen. and my fourth Versys.
I have bought some bikes two times but only the Versys has made it four times. Hard to beat.
Thanks
The versys is pretty impressive. I've had the Tiger 1050 (super versys) and a MG Stelvio, a Vstrom 650 a KLR 650 and the Versys is a really well rounded/handling bike for the price with reliability and great fuel range.

I wish they would build one with high end components from the supersports and a 600cc supersport engine, I'd pay the 12-13k. The 1000 is too heavy, I'm not going back to bikes over 500lbs.
quexpress likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I am with you there lee. I can't stand heavy bikes. They call them ADV bikes and are the size of a Gold Wing. I would like the Versys to be 50lb's lighter but you can only buy what they make. LOL
870buz
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I am with you there lee. I can't stand heavy bikes. They call them ADV bikes and are the size of a Gold Wing. I would like the Versys to be 50lb's lighter but you can only buy what they make. LOL
870buz
It's a great bike, I get why so many bike reviewers own it. Most of us probably have been the more powerful/expensive bike route and here we are. Not that I wouldn't pay for better brakes/suspension on the Versys. Kawasaki if your listening maybe an upscaled option with some brembo's and ohlins.......
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Well I just got back from Americade in Lake George. It's only 200mi. from were I live so not too long of a ride. I can say that I think this gen three is quit a lot better than the gen 1 and gen 2 bikes that I have had. I can say that there is nothing that doesn't seam better. This one came with a Sargent's seat already on it. Much smoother on the interstate. Very pleased with it. One of the guys that was with us said he is going to look for one on Monday. I think the 650 Versys is the best kept secret it the motorcycle industry.
While I was there my lowering kit came in from Moto Werk's. I ill be trying that out soon. I looked at all the reviews (all positive) but no one said anything about cornering clearance. I am concerned over loosing lean angel. Maybe not?
Anyway that's the latest on the gen 3.
870Buz
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Well I just got back from Americade in Lake George. It's only 200mi. from were I live so not too long of a ride. I can say that I think this gen three is quit a lot better than the gen 1 and gen 2 bikes that I have had. I can say that there is nothing that doesn't seam better. This one came with a Sargent's seat already on it. Much smoother on the interstate. Very pleased with it. One of the guys that was with us said he is going to look for one on Monday. I think the 650 Versys is the best kept secret it the motorcycle industry.
While I was there my lowering kit came in from Moto Werk's. I ill be trying that out soon. I looked at all the reviews (all positive) but no one said anything about cornering clearance. I am concerned over loosing lean angel. Maybe not?
870Buz
I didn't lose any cornering clearance could be just in my head but I think the bike handles better for me with the lowering kit.
870buz likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Well Thanks turn8a. Finnaly someone has given me some feedback on this. Maybe I have been conserned over nothing. I hope so.
I think I may put the lowering kit in today. I guess that's the only way to know for sure how it works. A lot of guys have them and I haven't seen any complaints. This is my fourth Versys and on everyone I wished I was a little taller or the bike was a little shorter. Thanks.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
870Buz
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I didn't lose any cornering clearance could be just in my head but I think the bike handles better for me with the lowering kit.

Of course you will lose cornering clearance. You will only notice it if you are already touching pegs down, or close to touching pegs down and round an off camber or diminishing radius curve at speed.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks
When you have something that works for you stick with it,I agree! I love the V 650 Gen 3,perfect bike for me. So,Im 5 foot 8,put on the Speedy lowering kit with lowered forks (will get you down an inch and a half I think),lowered foot pegs, raised handlebars. Lowered seat also(Sargent though you can do a mod like this on OEM seat also). I love twisties and cornering so I will say sometimes I touch the footpegs on the steepest corners once in a while.No big deal,good clean fun! I also shortened my Rivco highway pegs 3/4 of an inch at the base as they touched if they were down on extreme corner.If you dont need the clearance for off road the bike will ride more like a road bike when lowered,better center of gravity.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
...I will say sometimes I touch the footpegs on the steepest corners once in a while....
As the foot-pegs are 'folding-pegs' w/ a 3/4" 'feeler' underneath, you shouldn't have any problems, UNLESS you ride w/ the 'peg situated under your foot's arch.

Drag your boot and it MIGHT startle you into doing something SUDDEN which might lead to a crash....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode