Really? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Really?

Just read an article on the 2019 V 650, they said it has a slipper clutch....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 AM

That's pretty cool, not sure i need one but still wouldn't not want it.

Honestly this is probably not popular but I'd LOVE a DCT Versys. I love that thing in manual with the lightning fast shifts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
I highly doubt it has a slipper clutch. I have a '19 and it's not mentioned in the owners manual nor in the brochure.
The 1000 and 300 have slipper clutches (according to the brochure).

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinj View Post
I highly doubt it has a slipper clutch. I have a '19 and it's not mentioned in the owners manual nor in the brochure.
The 1000 and 300 have slipper clutches (according to the brochure).
Frankly I was surprised to read it, suspect the journalist was mixing up his specs
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 AM

Garage
For the Ninja 650 and the Z650, it's posted on the kawa site that they have AS clutch. But not the Versys650.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 AM

Garage
Back in the old days we needed that engine braking cause those weediddledinky drum brakes would heat up and fade in the first twenty yards. Now that brakes are so much better, I still engine brake just for the fun of it. I can see a slipper clutch if you're trying to shave your lap time... But why would the ordinary guy care?

Is too much development driven by racing?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Keep the slipper clutch and add a center stand instead. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
Thanks for the article! I've read similar writeups before, but a refresher is always handy. I came away with the same feeling I had the first time I learned about slipper clutches - neat if you are racing. But maybe I'm not pushing my machine enough to experience the down sides of a standard clutch. If I'm decelerating quickly, I'm anticipating a bit of rear wheel lock and prepared to handle it. I've never had that happen in a corner, so no worries there. I like to use engine braking and would need to adjust my riding a lot if I suddenly didn't have it anymore or it was greatly reduced. I also regularly practice clutch-less shifting, both up and down and have found it incredibly helpful in the up-shifts. I don't care what kind of clutch you have; I will be faster if I'm not pulling a lever.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Have you guys tried a DCT equipped NC700 or Africa twin?

That dual clutch is pretty awesome. Not for the i don't need to shift automatic feature but for the F1 racecar like lightning fast shifts in manual. None of that Automatic slushbox BS a car has, it's just like a manual that shifts in 1/4 second. It doesn't play games like most cars where it'll nanny mode you when you downshift at high RPM and stop the shift. It'll shift regardless so if you want to blow up your engine it'll do it.

If you haven't tried it borrow someones bike sometime.

This coming from a longtime lover of manual everything. I have a MX-5 for a car, in manual of course. I'd take DCT in the car and the bike if I could, it's awesome and I hate automatics.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Have you guys tried a DCT equipped NC700 or Africa twin?

That dual clutch is pretty awesome. Not for the i don't need to shift automatic feature but for the F1 racecar like lightning fast shifts in manual. None of that Automatic slushbox BS a car has, it's just like a manual that shifts in 1/4 second. It doesn't play games like most cars where it'll nanny mode you when you downshift at high RPM and stop the shift. It'll shift regardless so if you want to blow up your engine it'll do it.

If you haven't tried it borrow someones bike sometime.

This coming from a longtime lover of manual everything. I have a MX-5 for a car, in manual of course. I'd take DCT in the car and the bike if I could, it's awesome and I hate automatics.
Just buy a maxi-scooter and be done with it. I don't want an automatic in sports car and definitely not on a motorcycle! They are trying to take away the skill required to operate these things. If you are not skilled enough, you shouldn't be on them IMO.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Keep the slipper clutch and add a center stand instead. :^)
Oh please No, no no no no...
See, I like crashbars but I would never impose it to everyone.
Centerstand is very much useless to me, an hinderance actually.
Keep both your slipper clutch, centerstand, the whole LT thing, and gimme back money...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:41 AM

Wasnít a huge fan of the slipper clutch I tested on the fj09 months back. Didnít feel like I was as in control decelerating. Braking, downshifting, rev matching has always been my connection with how a bike should feel and handle.

2018 Versys 650
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Just buy a maxi-scooter and be done with it. I don't want an automatic in sports car and definitely not on a motorcycle! They are trying to take away the skill required to operate these things. If you are not skilled enough, you shouldn't be on them IMO.
A Maxi scooter uses a CVT which is completely different other than having the word "automatic". We're talking a totally different set of technology that enables lighting fast shifts better than any human being can execute no matter the skill.

Yes is has automatic mode that new/less skilled users would be attracted too. I'm not new or inexperienced on motorcycles and found the manual mode to be extremely fun and added capability on a twisty road. I totally enjoyed the F1 car shifting experience.

I don't think Honda is trying to take aways peoples skills. They're providing options.

A scary fact is 95% or better of younger car driver's are using automatics. The fact that they don't know how to drive nor want to deal with a clutch probably keeps a ton of them away from motorcycles. You could say that's a good thing but I don't think a shrinking market is a good thing. Honda's addressed this with the DCT for people who DON'T want to ride a maxi scooter, they want to ride a motorcycle.

Hopefully they put it in something sportier than the NC700x or the AT. The AT handles like a giraffe on ice and the NC700x has the worlds more boring engine (although that gas mileage is sick).

If they built a versys-like bike out of a CBR600RR with DCT I'd be coming through a dealer wall like the cool aid man because the door was tooo sloooow with fists full of cash!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
A Maxi scooter uses a CVT which is completely different other than having the word "automatic". We're talking a totally different set of technology that enables lighting fast shifts better than any human being can execute no matter the skill.

Yes is has automatic mode that new/less skilled users would be attracted too. I'm not new or inexperienced on motorcycles and found the manual mode to be extremely fun and added capability on a twisty road. I totally enjoyed the F1 car shifting experience.

I don't think Honda is trying to take aways peoples skills. They're providing options.

A scary fact is 95% or better of younger car driver's are using automatics. The fact that they don't know how to drive nor want to deal with a clutch probably keeps a ton of them away from motorcycles. You could say that's a good thing but I don't think a shrinking market is a good thing. Honda's addressed this with the DCT for people who DON'T want to ride a maxi scooter, they want to ride a motorcycle.

Hopefully they put it in something sportier than the NC700x or the AT. The AT handles like a giraffe on ice and the NC700x has the worlds more boring engine (although that gas mileage is sick).

If they built a versys-like bike out of a CBR600RR with DCT I'd be coming through a dealer wall like the cool aid man because the door was tooo sloooow with fists full of cash!
I always drove manual cars / trucks because automatics added between 10 and 25% to the cost of the car depending on what years we are talking about. The latest truck and car didn't even have a manual option. At least the truck still has crank windows. I have no interest in F1 shifting or fast shifting. I don't ride on race tracks. I ride on the public roads and respect the privilege to continue to ride on them.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I don't ride on race tracks. I ride on the public roads and respect the privilege to continue to ride on them.
Really? I guess quicker smoother shifting is the gateway to hooliganism. Or just nice to have.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Really? I guess quicker smoother shifting is the gateway to hooliganism. Or just nice to have.
Never ever thought I needed quicker smoother shifting. Oh well.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode