NY to Alaska - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
What's next for adventure? I want to go to Ushuaia. We saw a few people in Alaska who started there, I'm jealous!
I've a friend who rode her bicycle (yes you read that right) last year from the north shore of Alaska to Ushuaia. Solo, in her late 50's, cancer survivor. Her experiences were amazing, with so many friendly and helpful strangers whom she randomly encountered.

There were a couple of areas she had to stay away from for safety reasons. So if you do the ride be sure to carefully research which areas you should avoid. I believe one place was in Columbia where it borders Panama. Take seriously any such warnings at the time you travel! She also felt unsafe camping alone in a few places and chose to go to a hotel, though she did camp out most nights.

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are reportedly scheduled to make the ride south to north next year for their next adventure, "Long Way Up".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
And finally a few pictures from the trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5812.jpg (25.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg D75_7405.jpg (17.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5816.jpg (11.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5818.jpg (10.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg D75_7359.jpg (23.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5719.jpg (13.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5707.jpg (14.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg D75_7266.jpg (19.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg D75_7101.jpg (18.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5676.jpg (34.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5646.jpg (23.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg D75_6969.jpg (26.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg D75_6493.jpg (16.2 KB, 10 views)
Fastoman, Fly-Sig and sedro tom like this.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I've a friend who rode her bicycle (yes you read that right) last year from the north shore of Alaska to Ushuaia. Solo, in her late 50's, cancer survivor. Her experiences were amazing, with so many friendly and helpful strangers whom she randomly encountered....
While riding the Dempster Hwy (in '09) we camped at a "Provincial Campground" called Rock River, about half an hour N of Eagle Plains.

After camp was set-up I went for a 'walk-about' and saw two bicycles, one w/ a kid's saddle also, by a site, so I chatted w/ the folks. They were from Scotland, and had flown into Inuvik w/ their bikes and gear, and were on their way to Ushuaia. Had a nice chat, then wished them well, and next morning we headed N while they went S.

Two days later approaching Eagle Plains I noticed bike tracks as we climbed the hill, then after setting camp, we went inside for a beer, and ran into the Scots again. Seemed a trucker saw them, stopped to chat, then left, pulled into the Eagle Plains 'hotel' and paid for a room for the couple and the nine year old daughter for two nights.

Then he drove back to them, telling them to 'check-in' w/ the manager for a SURPRISE, then continued on his way.

The Scots couple were just "BUBBLING", they were so surprised & happy, being able to have showers and NO SKEETERS!
Fly-Sig likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Itís funny how you kind of get in a pack when you go up there, we saw the same people repeatedly at various places as well, only so many places to go!

I didnít stay in any hotels in Alaska, just once in Prince George and once on the way home in Minnesota since I REALLY needed to ice my knee which had become irritated and was swelling with a lot of pain. Defiantly going to look into highway pegs or maybe lower foot pegs but Iím concerned with scraping the hell out of them.

Iím not sure where to next, I think the next trip we take will be SE USA in the Smokies area or Maybe Baja/Pacific Coast. Iím not sure if Iíll get back up to Alaska anytime soon. If I do another 30 day trip itís probably going to be South America on a much lighter bike. I was jealous of the riders in Alaska who made it from the bottom of South America.

For now Iím in the process of relocating to Alabama from New York and Iíll be within 3 hours of Deals Gap and some great twisty roads down there. The V650 should be in itís element.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Be AWARE that you WILL be traveling thru a herd of bison on the Alcan, and they can lay a WORLD OF HURT on you in a VERY short period of time, so BE CAREFUL! They are in the vicinity of Ft Nelson to Muncho Lake, and tend to be ON the highway. [I did NOT take pics while riding thru the herd, and EVERY time I've ridden the southern part of the Alcan they've been ON the hwy!]

It's something I 'fabbed' to attach to the small Kawi rack I put on, and that is its sole purpose! You can see the Kawi rack behind my seat in this pic.

And here it is w/ the aluminum rack attached (that's 24" x 20".) Works VG to attach my camping gear to.

Wow!! That's great, hope you enjoy your journey so much.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenowaters View Post
Yup - so far I have...!

maureenowaters likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
great thread. just a little jealous my last 2 big bikes were both going to be my distance road/adventure/camping/ld trip bikes. both caponords. the first was an 06 i got in 09 and put 80k miles in 4 years....commuting. the second is a 2015 capo with 86k miles...commuting. plus another 60k on a couple of scooters....commuting. i don't plan on anything but commuting on the v650. maybe i can sneak a trip in that way. btw i'm a big fan of avons. long life even on big bikes. 190 on the rear of the 15 capo and i got almost 16k from a storm 3d and 14 from a spirit. the shinko 705's when they came out felt like riding on duplo blocks after a few k. i have a raven on a mana that won't wear out though. i don't even know how many miles on it. 16k?

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenowaters View Post
are those stock tire sizes on the bike? the tkc?
maureenowaters likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yup - so far I have...!

welcome
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
are those stock tire sizes on the bike? the tkc?
The TKC was a 150/70 x 17, running 42 psi.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode