chid's 2015 Versys 650 mods and farkles - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Ok, everything is done, new tire installed.
I need to go probably buy a lottery ticket, as I was able to seat the bead with a small, beat-up, cheap, old 12V mini compressor

It was pretty easy for my first time, the most time consuming and heavy was breaking the bead, I had a Motion pro 3 irons kit, it worked but not ideal. Next time I'll have a better tool.
After that, taking the tire out and putting the new one in... pretty easy, my son didn't believe when I said that part is done.
I have a new Pilot Road 3 and it doesn't have a white point, after looking intensely on internet, I found out that Michelin have a better quality control and there is no point on tires :O
There is one sticker, that I aligned, but nothing more.

I started inflating the tire and seating the bead with my 12V compressor..... and it was amazingly fast :O (ok, not THAT fast as a big air compressor, but... )
Helped it with a little bit of Windex, no escaping air, beads seated (including the 2 BANGS, but smaller)

I changed the valve core with the one from CounterAct, but no beads inside yet.

Mounted on the bike, did a small trip to verify, a longer one after, 2up, about 60km.
No vibration, no problem. Actually, I feel some small vibration from the front tire, a Pilot Road 5 with about 3k km on it, "balanced" with weights. I might put the beads in this one.

There it is.
Can you do it and save some money and time, be proud in the process? YES.
I need to buy better tools, which reduce the gain, but hey! I'm changing my own tires!

And the question was: can you seat the bead with a 12V emergency compressor? YES!
I usta do my own tires. I used a high lift jack under the trailer hitch of a '79 Chevy 4x4 pick up that I had at the time, placing the base of the jack on the tire sidewall, laying on some two bys. A rider friend of mine over in Arkansas has an 8ft 2x4 hinged to his wall in the shop with a one foot 2x4 dangling done about a foot from the wall. He places that dangling 2 by on the side wall and has plenty of leverage. Easy and frugal to set up and works a treat. We changed out a rear tire on my V while I was at a rally that he throws every spring(awesome get together, BTW).

I have a local guy that mounts and balances for $20 whether the tire was bought through him or on the interwebs, if I take the old one with. The tire recycle place is about a mile away and is free for residents. For $20, I ain't gonna mess with it.

Have fun!

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I usta do my own tires. I used a high lift jack under the trailer hitch of a '79 Chevy 4x4 pick up that I had at the time, placing the base of the jack on the tire sidewall, laying on some two bys. A rider friend of mine over in Arkansas has an 8ft 2x4 hinged to his wall in the shop with a one foot 2x4 dangling done about a foot from the wall. He places that dangling 2 by on the side wall and has plenty of leverage. Easy and frugal to set up and works a treat. We changed out a rear tire on my V while I was at a rally that he throws every spring(awesome get together, BTW).

I have a local guy that mounts and balances for $20 whether the tire was bought through him or on the interwebs, if I take the old one with. The tire recycle place is about a mile away and is free for residents. For $20, I ain't gonna mess with it.

Have fun!
Yes, probably for 20$ should be OK, but my guy asks 45$. 1 1/2 tires per season... adds up.
Plus the time to go there, wait 1-2 hours...
SteveJ likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Eddie,

This is the kit I bought. I don't have a "normal" one, I'll get the side-by-side photo after I change the tire.

I bought the long zip-tie, I located the closest gas station with compressed air (just in case )
Hopefully tomorrow I will change my tire.
Thanks for the pics chid.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, probably for 20$ should be OK, but my guy asks 45$. 1 1/2 tires per season... adds up.
Plus the time to go there, wait 1-2 hours...
Agreed. My changing of tires was also $$ driven as the nearest shops wanted $40 to 50 to mount and balance on a wheel the I brought in and were 12-15 miles away. And most would not do it for an internet tire.

I'm really lucky to have found this local shop less that 2 miles from my house. I drop it off in the morning and pick it up after lunch.

I go through 3+ rears and probably 1.5 fronts per year. Some replaced on the road, most at my local shop.
chid likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Did 1200km since changing the tire, absolutely no problem, I'm very happy with the result.

Versys 2015 Green
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I did a long trip (400km+) and I tested my device and method to clean the chain on the road, no stand.
No brush, no dirty hands, no back pain, 4 min from start to finish.

Here are some photos, before, after, the fuel consumption and the range after fueling :O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (47.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (38.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel consumption.jpg (57.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg range.jpg (49.9 KB, 17 views)
onewizard likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Today, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Changed the oil and gave the chain a nice cleaning, I have a few long trips coming.
So easy to clean it now...:O

Had a small 150km today, it runs soooo smooth!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190918_140221.jpg (40.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20190918_140243.jpg (28.5 KB, 0 views)

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; Today at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode