• 1 Post By webmost
  • 3 Post By webmost
  • 1 Post By Lee R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Parallel Twin RPMs vs. a V Twin

I just got the bike, 2018 Versys 650LT, and the engine seems to like high RPMs. It sounds healthy at high RPMs and seems to be just fine with an elevated RPM vs a V Twin. I still have a Vulcan 900 Classic LT, and I can't imagine that motor at the RPMs the Versys thrives at. Is there something about the parallel twin that makes it seem happier at higher RPMs, or is it just me?

I have become comfortably numb.....

Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Jonny View Post
I just got the bike, 2018 Versys 650LT, and the engine seems to like high RPMs. It sounds healthy at high RPMs and seems to be just fine with an elevated RPM vs a V Twin. I still have a Vulcan 900 Classic LT, and I can't imagine that motor at the RPMs the Versys thrives at. Is there something about the parallel twin that makes it seem happier at higher RPMs, or is it just me?
It's all in the design......some V-twins can do high rpm's (think Ducati) and some are designed to be more sedate (think average HD). Some parallel twins were low rpm (older Brit bikes).....just design and manufacturing limits. Most modern metric parallel twins seem to be relatively high RPM as compared to V-twins.
SteveJ and RR Jonny like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Is it just the noise that makes it seem more comfortable at high rpms, or the vibes, or the power delivery...? Power delivery is where these two designs usually differ the most, but it all comes down to the intended use the manufacturer made the motor for.

There can be a lot of differences between the character of a parallel and v-twin, based on many things like crankshaft weight and firing interval of the pistons. A parallel twin has half the camshafts/camchains of a v-twin, and the noise all those parts make is confined to a smaller area in a parallel motor. The vibes created the pistons and how well they are balanced can feel very different between the two architectures, a V-twin's angle between the cylinders affects this greatly. Thats not at all a comprehensive list but the physical differences certainly affect how it feels

There are v-twins that rev high with no complaints, the Suzuki V-Strom 650 is pretty similar to the Versys 650 in this respect, it redlines at the same RPM and due to gearing turns very similar RPMs out on the road. Felt happy for the short time I rode one.

Not knowing much about that Vulcan, I imagine its an engine made for a cruiser vs an engine coming from a sport bike and their intended design characteristics that feels so different. I agree the Versys motor likes to rev and will reward you for doing so!

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When i rode from Texas to California on my 09 V-650... 85-95mph seem to be the bikes happy place...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's such an adrenaline rush playing on twisty roads at 6-9k rpms with the Versys, my old c-10 Connie, or an old XS750 triple Yammie I had. I never did get that feeling with an old air head R90/6, though, too low of a red line.

Jeez, I wonder why I can only get about 4-6k out of a good rear tire. Zoom zoom.

Skol.
RR Jonny likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
More than anything, it's bore versus stroke. If a piston is wider across (bore) than the distance it travels up and down (stroke), then that's called oversquare. If it is markedly oversquare, then that's your short stroke engine. The shorter stroke makes it easier and quicker to stroke that piston down and then reverse it back the other way. The quicker it can cycle up and down it's four strokes, the more air and fuel it can run thru. Really, displacement is a rather meaningless measurement. The real source of power is throughput -- how much fuel and air you can get through over the same amount of time. Think how horsepower is calculated. Horsepower measures torque but with RPMs factored in. So a short quick stroke squeezes more ponies out of the same displacement, cause you got more RPMs. It's not a matter of whether it's in-line or V or boxer. Only matters what you can make it do.

Overhead cams, foursquare, four valves... these are why you can cruise all day at 85 with a mere 650cc engine.

You know she's happy when she starts to howl.
RR Jonny likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
...Overhead cams, foursquare, four valves... these are why you can cruise all day at 85 with a mere 650cc engine.

FWIW - on my '62 Triumph Thunderbird after I had changed to Triumph racing inlet and exhaust cams, a Bonneville twin-carb head, plus higher compression pistons - I saw 125 mph on the speedo, so it WOULD cruise at 85 IF you wanted to.

Of course, being a British twin, things tended to VIBRATE OFF!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - on my '62 Triumph Thunderbird after I had changed to Triumph racing inlet and exhaust cams, a Bonneville twin-carb head, plus higher compression pistons - I saw 125 mph on the speedo, so it WOULD cruise at 85 IF you wanted to.

Of course, being a British twin, things tended to VIBRATE OFF!

I too had a Triumph about that vintage, way back when... for about six weeks. I named her Defeat. Cursed by the Prince of Darkness. Two hours fiddling for every hour on the road.
Duffy, Randyjaco and badtux like this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Jonny View Post
It's happy at 3-9k RPM, the Cruiser V-twins are all made and geared for grunt at very low RPM. You won't hurt a thing running it up through the rev's and it's happy all day long at 5-6k cruising. Low RPM will struggle compared to a Cruiser so keep it about 3k. This bike is designed to have power in the mid-rpm range and up. You're in for a treat on some twisty roads.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...Cursed by the Prince of Darkness....
I suppose you could say that I wasn't very bright: had a '62 Thunderbird, then bought a '62 T120 Bonneville as well. The alternator 'died' on the T-bird, taking out my primary chaincase, but as I was planning to turn it into a 'drag-bike' I just removed the chaincase and alternator and ran the clutch air-cooled.

Took the "Bonnie" on a ride down to WA state, to the Grand Coulee Dam w/ a buddy on his Vincent. Just N of the Dam I heard a CLUNK, then looked down to see oil streaming out of a large hole in the primary chaincase. Stopped, removed the outer chaincase cover, then pried the various magnets out so nothing more could come loose, replaced the chaincase cover (so I wouldn't lose the screws......), then we found a motorcycle shop that had a mechanic that could weld aluminum, and he 'patched-up' the hole so we could continue.

The T120 had a magneto so we could continue, just NOT ride after dark as I had NO lights w/ the charging system gone.

NOTHING in me wishes to have another early Triumph, and I STILL know a fellow w/ a '62 TR6 Triumph Trophy...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

You can feel it....When she's happy, I'm happy.

I have become comfortably numb.....

Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode