Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

First Impression - Versys 650

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
I picked up my bike yesterday, and I had my first real ride this morning. I have only had two prior bikes; a Honda Shadow 750 and a Vulcan 900 (still own it). What a difference from the cruiser style bike this is. The maneuverability and handling are not even in the same league as the cruisers. Some corners I used to get a bit nervous over on the Vulcan were nothing on this bike; she was eating them up, spitting them out and asking for more. I never knew how much fun a bike could be. I have the LT, but removed the panniers and was getting about 52 mpg. She's not real fond of low RPM's, but through the middle and high range; she's digging it! No dirt yet, except for the sand left from the winter; I have to get her some protection before I start that. On the Vulcan, I get a bit fatigued. I put 130 miles on this bike this morning, and it was no big deal. I drove eight hours yesterday to pick her up, and my little spin around the dealership lot put a smile on my face. This morning's ride was very similar. Yersterday's smile was more of like, "This is cool, She's so nimble", whereas today was like "Holy ****, this thing's amazing". Going around blind corners used to scare the crap out of me, but this bike's got great control and never once did things seem sketchy. I am digging this bike! We'll see how things go, but so far it's been more than I could have hoped for.

#3 ·
2018 650 lt

Earlier posts he says he was looking at a 2018.

Reactions: RR Jonny
#4 · (Edited)
It's a 2018 - Thanks Onewizard. I am not sure if Steve is going to develop the flash, but I'm not complaining. I'll take what I have and just get used to it how it is. If the flash is developed, I'll get it. It's a lovely bike! I just got it yesterday, and I'll plan what I am going to do.

#5 ·
Flash Earlier Post

It's a 2018 - Thanks Onewizard. I am not sure if Steve is going to develop the flash, but I'm not complaining. I'll take what I have and just get used to it how it is. If the flash is developed, I'll get it. It's a lovely bike! I just got it yesterday, and I'll plan what I am going to do. What would be helpful is a list of tools that are recommended and where to get them. I am not in a very populated area, and I'll have to get most on-line. Perhaps there's already a tools thread; I'll have to look.
There is a post in the ECU thread where a member here in Ontario sent his 2017 to get flashed, not encouraging this as Steve did a awesome job on my 2015. I stated this in several of my posts, if I hadn't owned a 2007 , I wouldn't have know there was a difference, however selling the 2007 and after break in of the 2015 it became obvious something was wrong, I considered selling my 2015 and trying to buy back my 2007. Between the fact I had invested well over $2500 in extras on the 2015 and the guy I sold it to really didn't want to sell it back, I let it go and adapted. And yes I went to my really good dealer in Delhi Ontario and questioned what if anything could be done. So in early 2017 discussion started with Steve,late 2018 after Steve was offering the flash ( November ) I sent it out, it now is equal to or exceeds what my 2007 performance at 2500 to 4000 RPM. I am a happy customer.

Reactions: RR Jonny
#9 ·
Thanks Steve! I used to wrench a bit as a kid, but the most involved thing I did was a timing chain on a 69' 327. I was a typewriter repairman for a few years and learned a lot of common sense regarding repairs. I have the 2015 service manual, and I will try my best. I am sure I will fail and learn. We'll see how I do....

#10 ·
Wow, typewriter repairman, talk about a job that has gone by the wayside.

Have fun up dere in da UP too, eh? Part of my work duties while still living in Minnesnowta involved time in da UP, loved it and the folks and the "vibe". I usta motel it out by the prison, east side of Marquette.

#16 ·
Thanks....I think my speedo is broken.....it hits 90 mph way too quickly :grin2:. I'll take it easy ...I have been riding for years but only have about 5,000 miles under my belt - still a rookie :frown2:. I haven't dumped a bike yet, but I did proceed straight when there was a curve in the road and ended up in a field back on the 750. That was spooky, but educational. I'm not sure if I set her down gently in the field to gather my whits, or if I just stopped and then rode it to the shoulder to compose myself. Either way, I was really lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.