• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By RR Jonny
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First Impression - Versys 650

I picked up my bike yesterday, and I had my first real ride this morning. I have only had two prior bikes; a Honda Shadow 750 and a Vulcan 900 (still own it). What a difference from the cruiser style bike this is. The maneuverability and handling are not even in the same league as the cruisers. Some corners I used to get a bit nervous over on the Vulcan were nothing on this bike; she was eating them up, spitting them out and asking for more. I never knew how much fun a bike could be. I have the LT, but removed the panniers and was getting about 52 mpg. She's not real fond of low RPM's, but through the middle and high range; she's digging it! No dirt yet, except for the sand left from the winter; I have to get her some protection before I start that. On the Vulcan, I get a bit fatigued. I put 130 miles on this bike this morning, and it was no big deal. I drove eight hours yesterday to pick her up, and my little spin around the dealership lot put a smile on my face. This morning's ride was very similar. Yersterday's smile was more of like, "This is cool, She's so nimble", whereas today was like "Holy ****, this thing's amazing". Going around blind corners used to scare the crap out of me, but this bike's got great control and never once did things seem sketchy. I am digging this bike! We'll see how things go, but so far it's been more than I could have hoped for.

I have become comfortably numb.....

Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Jonny View Post
I picked up my bike yesterday, and I had my first real ride this morning. I have only had two prior bikes; a Honda Shadow 750 and a Vulcan 900 (still own it). What a difference from the cruiser style bike this is. The maneuverability and handling are not even in the same league as the cruisers. Some corners I used to get a bit nervous over on the Vulcan were nothing on this bike; she was eating them up, spitting them out and asking for more. I never knew how much fun a bike could be. I have the LT, but removed the panniers and was getting about 52 mpg. She's not real fond of low RPM's, but through the middle and high range; she's digging it! No dirt yet, except for the sand left from the winter; I have to get her some protection before I start that. On the Vulcan, I get a bit fatigued. I put 130 miles on this bike this morning, and it was no big deal. I drove eight hours yesterday to pick her up, and my little spin around the dealership lot put a smile on my face. This morning's ride was very similar. Yersterday's smile was more of like, "This is cool, She's so nimble", whereas today was like "Holy ****, this thing's amazing". Going around blind corners used to scare the crap out of me, but this bike's got great control and never once did things seem sketchy. I am digging this bike! We'll see how things go, but so far it's been more than I could have hoped for.
Welcome! What year is your bike? There are ECU flashes that make the low rpm issue go away.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

2018 650 lt

Earlier posts he says he was looking at a 2018.
RR Jonny likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's a 2018 - Thanks Onewizard. I am not sure if Steve is going to develop the flash, but I'm not complaining. I'll take what I have and just get used to it how it is. If the flash is developed, I'll get it. It's a lovely bike! I just got it yesterday, and I'll plan what I am going to do.

Jonny

Last edited by RR Jonny; 05-21-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Deleted tool comment; already subscribed to the thread
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Flash Earlier Post

Quote:
It's a 2018 - Thanks Onewizard. I am not sure if Steve is going to develop the flash, but I'm not complaining. I'll take what I have and just get used to it how it is. If the flash is developed, I'll get it. It's a lovely bike! I just got it yesterday, and I'll plan what I am going to do. What would be helpful is a list of tools that are recommended and where to get them. I am not in a very populated area, and I'll have to get most on-line. Perhaps there's already a tools thread; I'll have to look.
There is a post in the ECU thread where a member here in Ontario sent his 2017 to get flashed, not encouraging this as Steve did a awesome job on my 2015. I stated this in several of my posts, if I hadn't owned a 2007 , I wouldn't have know there was a difference, however selling the 2007 and after break in of the 2015 it became obvious something was wrong, I considered selling my 2015 and trying to buy back my 2007. Between the fact I had invested well over $2500 in extras on the 2015 and the guy I sold it to really didn't want to sell it back, I let it go and adapted. And yes I went to my really good dealer in Delhi Ontario and questioned what if anything could be done. So in early 2017 discussion started with Steve,late 2018 after Steve was offering the flash ( November ) I sent it out, it now is equal to or exceeds what my 2007 performance at 2500 to 4000 RPM. I am a happy customer.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
So in early 2017 discussion started with Steve,late 2018 after Steve was offering the flash ( November ) I sent it out, it now is equal to or exceeds what my 2007 performance at 2500 to 4000 RPM. I am a happy customer.
I'll get her through the break-in period and go from there. Thanks! It seems like you can end up spending 50% of the cost of the bike in add-ons/mods. I just got the mirrors adjusted.....she's been less than 24 hours at home. I have to get some tools and have at some things. I lost my Kawasaki dealer here in Marquette, and I will be doing most of the maintenance. Rome wasn't built in a day.
onewizard likes this.

Jonny
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Tools

Quote:
I'll get her through the break-in period and go from there. Thanks! It seems like you can end up spending 50% of the cost of the bike in add-ons/mods. I just got the mirrors adjusted.....she's been less than 24 hours at home. I have to get some tools and have at some things. I lost my Kawasaki dealer here in Marquette, and I will be doing most of the maintenance. Rome wasn't built in a day.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rship-diy.html
One of the key reason's I own a 2015 Versys and had a 2007 Versys is this forum, I would have sold my 07 within months as I had a DRZ400S before this 2007, Invader did a post about TPS throttle position sensor, that post changed my 07 from a POS to a awesome bike. Many of the members learned the hard way on this forum, another good reason to belong, as the shared knowledge allows new members to skirt the pitfalls so many of us had to endure and in those pitfalls $$$$$ was spent plus frustration and delays in riding etc. One key element, which prompted me to develop the How To Forum was the ability to share knowledge along with photos so 95% of work required could be done by ourselves . The cost of a proper valve shim check complete with adjustment should be double what a complete set of tools costs, or equal to a complete set of tools if you include a digital meter and vacuum gauges, plus everything listed in that link. Posting on this forum, expect a response withing 8 hours maximum, as many members here were numbies and have absorbed knowledge off this site and are more than willing to share.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Welcome aboard. Just wait until you learn that bike more and get some better tires on it. And doing your own work generally works out a lot better.

Your first valve check will be an adventure, for sure. It's a bit involved but really it's mostly just nuts and bolts.
RR Jonny likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Steve! I used to wrench a bit as a kid, but the most involved thing I did was a timing chain on a 69' 327. I was a typewriter repairman for a few years and learned a lot of common sense regarding repairs. I have the 2015 service manual, and I will try my best. I am sure I will fail and learn. We'll see how I do....

Jonny
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks Steve! I used to wrench a bit as a kid, but the most involved thing I did was a timing chain on a 69' 327. I was a typewriter repairman for a few years and learned a lot of common sense regarding repairs. I have the 2015 service manual, and I will try my best. I am sure I will fail and learn. We'll see how I do....
Wow, typewriter repairman, talk about a job that has gone by the wayside.

Have fun up dere in da UP too, eh? Part of my work duties while still living in Minnesnowta involved time in da UP, loved it and the folks and the "vibe". I usta motel it out by the prison, east side of Marquette.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Tools

Quote:
Before word processor Not sure if you caught it but that link in my previous post has a complete list of tools by several members and my valve shim post also has a list in post 3 of this thread;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html
RR Jonny likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I have the 2015 service manual, and I will try my best. I am sure I will fail and learn...
NO reason to "fail" - look at the links from Forum inmates, then open up your SERVICE MANUAL, and go to town!

You WILL need a 1/4" torque wrench as well as the 3/8". GOOD ones at Harbor-Freight for about $10 w/ their coupon....

RR Jonny likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

take it easy and be safe. Its a very forgiving bike but don't push the limits.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Wow, typewriter repairman, talk about a job that has gone by the wayside.

Have fun up dere in da UP too, eh? Part of my work duties while still living in Minnesnowta involved time in da UP, loved it and the folks and the "vibe". I usta motel it out by the prison, east side of Marquette.
Yeah - it's nice around here. When I decided to move here and folks learned I was heading to Marquette, they asked what I got popped for...

I learned business machine repair back in high school as a vocational endeavor that landed me a sweet job as a co-op in my senior year and allowed me to have half-days throughout my senior year. Old-school techs at the shop I worked at were big "common sense" guys. They weren't shy about ripping into you if you made a mistake. Great experience!

Jonny
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NO reason to "fail" - look at the links from Forum inmates, then open up your SERVICE MANUAL, and go to town!

You WILL need a 1/4" torque wrench as well as the 3/8". GOOD ones at Harbor-Freight for about $10 w/ their coupon....

Thanks - picked up all three sizes, and all about $11 with no coupon. If they suck, they suck, but I saw some guy on Youtube give them a decent review.

I also got engine guards, skid plate, center stand and luggage guards from T-Rex. I was iffy on the center stand, but I'll be able to clean and lube my chain easily. The other stuff will come in time. I've got a bunch of crap I bought in China to throw on there, but I am going to just take it slow.

Jonny
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
take it easy and be safe. Its a very forgiving bike but don't push the limits.
Thanks....I think my speedo is broken.....it hits 90 mph way too quickly . I'll take it easy ...I have been riding for years but only have about 5,000 miles under my belt - still a rookie . I haven't dumped a bike yet, but I did proceed straight when there was a curve in the road and ended up in a field back on the 750. That was spooky, but educational. I'm not sure if I set her down gently in the field to gather my whits, or if I just stopped and then rode it to the shoulder to compose myself. Either way, I was really lucky.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

Jonny
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Before word processor Not sure if you caught it but that link in my previous post has a complete list of tools by several members and my valve shim post also has a list in post 3 of this thread;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html
I got it Onewizard; I subscribed to that thread and have it in an easily accessible location. I have to take a tool inventory to see what I have. I have tool sets all over the place, and I have to figure out what to stock in the tool cabinet. It's been ages. I got the cheap torque wrenches and will test those. I have to get the Japanese Phillips heads and a set of "T" handled allens. An impact wrench would be a good idea too. I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 with 1,600 miles on it that will be worked on as well; I basically would have to give the bike away to get rid of it, and I'm not going to do that. I took her out this morning, and there's no reason to get rid of her. Thanks again!

Jonny
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks - picked up all three sizes, and all about $11 with no coupon. If they suck, they suck, but I saw some guy on Youtube give them a decent review....
Several years ago CAR CRAFT magazine tested a bunch of torque-wrenches, and gave the H-F ones a VG rating.

Quote:
...I haven't dumped a bike yet, but I did proceed straight when there was a curve in the road and ended up in a field back on the 750....
Here's a pic of a fellow I talked w/ at D2D '15, who had come from Watson Lake via the dirt Robert Campbell Hwy, and had OVERCOOKED it into a corner, failed to 'make' it and 'sailed' off into a slough on his F800GS, luckily w/ LOTS of witnesses who helped him recover it, and were able to add COLOR to HIS descriptions of what had happened. Broke a FEW things on it, but was able to continue....

RR Jonny likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode